Xentherm substitute needed

Name
George Valliant
The flowers are starting to bloom which means its time to swap out heat exchange fluid on the Venturi.

Is there an inexpensive substitute I can use besides Xentherm or Dynalene?

Thanks,

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mobiltherm 43 is a direct substitute (Mobil Oil), for the Dynalene SF (aka Xentherm).

I think its alright to use Mobiltherm 605 as well.

The Dynalene SF and Mobiltherm 43 are both good at continuous temps up to 600 Degrees F.
The Mobiltherm 605 is good for only 550 degrees F continuous , but is readily available in 5 gallon containers, while Mobil only puts the Mobiltherm 43 in 55 gallon drums. This means that if you use the 43, you'll have tough luck finding someone who will re-package for you.
http://www.mobildelvac.com/USA-English/ ... ection.asp

I'd be interested to see if this product would fare better though. It advertises its stability lasting a very long time, whereas the Dynalene has a fairly short thermal stabilization life.
http://www.therminol.com/pages/products/xp.asp

Name
George Valliant
Thanks Shawn,

Spoke w/ Therminol today and they ship 55 gallon drums only.

I'll be ordering Mobiltherm 605.

Found a sight selling 5 gallon cans for only $72.00. That's what I had in mind!!!

Thank you,

Name
George Valliant
Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mike, George,

Western Refining is a Mobil Distributor that has Mobiltherm 605 in 5 gal pails for around $75 incl tax.
They have branches all over CA.NV/AZ. However, I only have info on the branch we use. I'm sure its a start.

Western Refining
2756 S, Riverside
Bloomimgton, CA 92316
909-877-0226
http://www.wnr.com

If they balk at selling to an end user, I can help. :)

I would also make sure your Xentherm heat level on your particular Vortex variation/model is running below 550 degrees before using the 605 variety. I spoke with Mobil Oil's Technical Services Dept and they assured me that the only relevant difference for this application was the 50 degrees/F less rating on the MT 605 versus the MT 43/Dynalene SF. The 605 is a little thinner(viscosity), but that should not make much difference.

A

amazingcleansc

Shawn Forsythe said:
Mike, George,

Western Refining is a Mobil Distributor that has Mobiltherm 605 in 5 gal pails for around $75 incl tax.
They have branches all over CA.NV/AZ. However, I only have info on the branch we use. I'm sure its a start.

Western Refining
2756 S, Riverside
Bloomimgton, CA 92316
909-877-0226

I would also make sure your Xentherm heat level on your particular Vortex variation/model is running below 550 degrees before using the 605 variety. I spoke with Mobil Oil's Technical Services Dept and they assured me that the only relevant difference for this application was the 50 degrees/F less rating on the MT 605 versus the MT 43/Dynalene SF. The 605 is a little thinner(viscosity), but that should not make much difference.

I was curious about the viscosity as well. How would a different viscosity fluid change the way it heats the water due to a change in speed of flow through the system? I'm anticipating making this purchase soon and was about to do this same research.

Therminol makes it sound like they may have a superior product. I'll have to check this sheeyit out.

Also, I've heard that most of these 777 units have the insides of the pipes "glazed" if they have ever overheated and this can cause a 10% drop in heat transfer effectiveness?

If the insides of the tubes are glazed is there a solvent that can remove this? probably would be a good time to do this when you are changing the therm.

A

amazingcleansc

This might be the answer to my question, kind of. Its in the format of a nerdy set of equations for heat transfer calculation that I have no clue how to read.

http://www.therminol.com/pages/tools/htccalc1.xls

If any of you can make sense of that, it might shed some light about what would be optimal to flow through the system. (Wouldn't it be some Bowl Sheet if Xentherm ain't it?)

Oh and heres something that might be worth it to people with a V that has ever run hot or had really old fluid. Therminal Flush Fluid. Designed to remove deposits from oxidized, thermally degraded, or contaminated fluid.

http://www.therminol.com/pages/products/ff.asp

A

amazingcleansc

Even though this is a vortex question i think the post should have stayed out front where more than 20 people can look at it and maybe give ideas about a xen sub.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The flow rate through the system will be relatively unchanged by the differences in viscosity that we are talking about here. The "Xentherm" pump is positive displacement, therefore the amount of flow/speed of fluid is determined by the speed & displacement of the pump, unless the liquid is so thick that the pump can't move it efficiently due to internal seepage past its own lobes. In the viscosity ranges we are talking about, the variation we might see are system pressures going up with higher viscosity, but not significant at all. The speed of the pump will remain unchanged for all these fluids we have been discussing.

The real concerns for substitute products are long term temperature stability, and thermal coefficient. The thermal Coeffient is what determines how well the fluid will conduct temperature.

A

amazingcleansc

thanks shawn. I'm going to call around about this better thermal transfer fluid, to see if I can get my hands on some.

Name
George Valliant
Bookmarked it.

Thanks Shawn!

Shawn Forsythe said:
Mike, George,

Western Refining
2756 S, Riverside
Bloomimgton, CA 92316
909-877-0226

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Mikey P said:
Greenie has a bunch they are dumping CHEAP
i called today again. i left several messages in the past week or so and figured i would try again since he had "a bunch they are dumping CHEAP" and they want $ 60.00 per gal. and then after i had them make sure they offered it at $ 182.95 Plus shipping. what happen to dumping cheap?

lol :shock: Ivebeensold :lol:

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
ok guys please who has tried anything else besides Xentherm or Dynalene and can report if the alternative worked and for how long and finally where and how much did they pay for the stuff. i will be needing to do an oil change pretty soon. thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom