"You must be making a fortune"

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
For the last few years, every time I buy another truck, truckmount, or my new box truck...people that don't understand how a business works, seem to blurt that out of their mouths more than they should. I've found it very annoying, because my wallet isn't any fatter than it was before I BORROWED the money to make my business perform and look more professional.

I'm not making a fortune. I'm just building credit. You can buy whatever you want, as long as you have credit. Why can't our customers see it that way?

I'm working my ass off to look more professional than my competitors.

Ron K

You are worrying about the wrong people.
Worry about yourself.
You should be competing with yourself.
I always try to do better then last year.
I really don't give a rats ass about some idiot who bought a truck mount wearing a new uniform or hat.
I saw one today at the hardware store.
Saw some guy on Craigslist $1.30 per Square Foot to clean Oriental Rugs.
If someone is going there, they're gonna get what they paid for.
Be the best, do your best and have fun.
When it becomes a job get off the train.
I'm stepping off my soap box right about now!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
For the last few years, every time I buy another truck, truckmount, or my new box truck...people that don't understand how a business works, seem to blurt that out of their mouths more than they should. I've found it very annoying, because my wallet isn't any fatter than it was before I BORROWED the money to make my business perform and look more professional.

I'm not making a fortune. I'm just building credit. You can buy whatever you want, as long as you have credit. Why can't our customers see it that way?

I'm working my ass off to look more professional than my competitors.

A lot of people see trucks like yours and the first thing that they think is that you must be doing well and that is someone can afford a truck like that they must know what they are doing....That's what you WANT them to think and that's the image you WANT to get across.....and that's how you look/are more professional than your competitors.....so be happy your clients see it that way....

Rome was not built in a day...but you're on the right path for that fatter wallet.....

Ron K

Anybody can buy a good looking Van!
You can't buy a good honorable reputation!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just had a $250 job today, took 1.5 hours. Guy called because he drove past my signed van. He had no clue who I was, just liked my little truck. Was disappointed when I showed up with my white Dodge van but was blown away by the job.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I agree with you. That’s not my point. I was just irritated at how people think I’m so rich just because I’m putting my income back in to the business, instead of a bmw

Able 1

Name
Keith
I tell them the equipment that is sitting in your driveway is about $55,000, think about how many I have to clean to even make a profit..

That along with healthcare, insurance,gas,chemicals,maintenance,and on going education that I have to go to AZ for..:rockon:

I really don't get many that question our service and the cost.. They are usually weeded out on the phone.:biggrin:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Fake till you make it! :biggrin:

Every F’ing day!!!

It just pisses me off, because the type of people that are making those comments are the ones with the fat wallets. And It just comes off like they’re talking down on me, like the little carpet cleaner isn’t supposed to be making a decent living

No they aren’t the ones with fat wallets. They are also living off credit and trying to keep up with the Jones’s and swimming in debt. The ones that really have fat wallets don’t make those comments becsuse they DO get it.

You do realize your statement is the same exact thing they are doing to you that you’re complaining about....marinate in that for a bit.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Every F’ing day!!!

No they aren’t the ones with fat wallets. They are also living off credit and trying to keep up with the Jones’s and swimming in debt. The ones that really have fat wallets don’t make those comments becsuse they DO get it.

You do realize your statement is the same exact thing they are doing to you that you’re complaining about....marinate in that for a bit.
You are so good at bringing the truth out, it’s annoying. Yes, these people are in debt up to their nose, but I know the kind of jobs, and investments these people have (very small town) which shows that they aren’t tight on funds. I’m not just looking at what they’re driving.

Reactions: Mikey P

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
What's wrong with people thinking that?
I agree with Richard that you fake it...until you believe it yourself.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Every F’ing day!!!

What is your response to that kind of assumption from a customer?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB

I know everyone will find this hard to believe since I have something to say about everything...

But, I wouldn’t say a damn thing. Nada.

Smile and leave it at that.

If you absolutely feel compelled to respond, I would go with “What makes you say that?”. And shut up.

Likely they will back pedal fast. If they actually do answer that gives you the opportunity to politely correct their wrong assumptions by educating them to your business model.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I know everyone will find this hard to believe since I have something to say about everything...

But, I wouldn’t say a damn thing. Nada.

Smile and leave it at that.

If you absolutely feel compelled to respond, I would go with “What makes you say that?”. And shut up.

Likely they will back pedal fast. If they actually do answer that gives you the opportunity to politely correct their wrong assumptions by educaring them to your business model.
That’s the answer I’ve been looking for. Thank you.

From their tone of voice, it’s making me feel like I owe them an explanation. But from the way you just explained it, it’s none of their business

Reactions: PrimaDonna

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
sOOper hero said: ↑
insecurity isn't conducive for one that chooses the glamorous profession of CCing
blow it off or be an azzhole back
both can be very liberating
..L.T.A.
I love how you look at society around you. Very eye opening

Straight to the point, isn't he!?
:rockon:

New "things" are great Mr Smith. It's the paying for them part that 's no party.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom