You rip hole in our carpet, you fix.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Sorry but not sorry. This customer called me 2 minutes after leaving this rental move out home. He said our machines put this hole in his carpet. (See below). I attempted to explain to this first time customer that we did not. The machines use bristles that have nothing on them to put this kind of hole all the way down to where the pad is ripped. He said he didn't see any hole before. I went back and looked and the hole looked nothing like the picture. It was much smaller and he must have moved the fibers apart to make it look larger in his email to "management" about it. I informed him the carpet was so matted, this could have been there previously and when we cleaned any loose fibers or just cleaning could have made it move visible. He still says our vacuum snagged the carpet and caused this. I vacuumed and there was no snag. Also this isn't Berber where the long loose strings can easily cause a straight line rip.

He wants us to pay $89 from some place he found to fix it. I am refusing to pay (even this small amount), because there is no way we put this hole there.

What do ya think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also... We gave him a break on pricing since they are Asian and don't wear shoes. The carpet wasn't horrible. 8 areas for $225.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Bad review I am not worried about. I'll explain again clearly to him in the review. It is the principle that we didn't do this.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm sure you guys didn't do it and I would reiterate it to him. But I would offer to pay half in the name of good customer service.
People like his customer abuse the name of customer service. I just had some guy very similar, foreign, who pulled the same stunt with me on a rental house. The carpet was wore out 80's brown carpet. He prepaid with a credit card and after I cleaned it, he said I need to refund his money because the carpet needs replaced. I told him he knew beginning I cleaned that it's wore out. He was determined to get a refund so I refunded him on the living room to shut him up. I regret doing that. I should have reeled in my middle finger to the crook

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
I don't see how your crew didn't see the hole and write it down.

I did see the hole at the end. I figured the customer already knew about it. It was right at the front door practically. The hole was so small I didn't mention it. That picture is from him separating the fibers all the way apart. A few days of walking on it, would have looked like it did before us cleaning it I'm sure.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Let me add to that. I didn't say anything about the hole because the carpet was not in great condition in regards to fibers fraying out, carpet buckling and where the tile kitchen meets the carpet you could see the nails coming up. In so many rental homes, people already know what they have done to the carpet. I assumed, which I'm guessing now, I should not have, thinking this customer already knew there was damaging to the carpet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
People like his customer abuse the name of customer service. I just had some guy very similar, foreign, who pulled the same stunt with me on a rental house. The carpet was wore out 80's brown carpet. He prepaid with a credit card and after I cleaned it, he said I need to refund his money because the carpet needs replaced. I told him he knew beginning I cleaned that it's wore out. He was determined to get a refund so I refunded him on the living room to shut him up. I regret doing that. I should have reeled in my middle finger to the crook
Some people are just crooks. Take pictures of the trashed ones just for those reminder moments. Might not avoid the situation but certainly couldn't hurt.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have done exactly the same thing. These days, I take pics of damage prior to cleaning. Last year I took in a small rug that had damage to its fringes on one end. It was so obvious I didn't pay any attention to it, assuming the customer was aware. Sure enough, one day after delivering the rug, the customer accuses me of damaging his rug. I declined to accept responsibility and just told him to take action if that was what he truly believed. I really don't care about reviews. I never heard from him again

Reactions: EDS and kmdineen

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I think this thread needs to be renamed...

" Shit that happens to :numfi:"
I was thinking about complaining about that stupid thread glue that pmf puts in their wands. Maybe I'll just shut up for a while

Attachments

• IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 178

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
There has to be someone on here in your area that can handle that 10 minute repair. Buy them dinner for doing it.
Tell the customer that you have someone that wil fix it. If they won't let your guy fix it then screw them.

Reactions: EDS

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
That hole looks as if a right angle leg was dropped on it, cutting through to the subfloor. If you didn't see it, I would suggest two things: Offer to repair it at no charge and glue it down. Then in future, make sure to stipulate that your equipment CANNOT cause damage to carpet, but in rentals "often the last guy did something and it might show up when I am cleaning." Then if something like this flaps up, you can just say "There you are" and "Hold on while I fix it." Then glue it down. You can use a hair dryer to prep it.

But you know and I know the bum did it and is diddling you. It is a cut-your-loss situation.

EDS

Name
Ed
Sorry but not sorry. This customer called me 2 minutes after leaving this rental move out home. He said our machines put this hole in his carpet. (See below). I attempted to explain to this first time customer that we did not. The machines use bristles that have nothing on them to put this kind of hole all the way down to where the pad is ripped. He said he didn't see any hole before. I went back and looked and the hole looked nothing like the picture. It was much smaller and he must have moved the fibers apart to make it look larger in his email to "management" about it. I informed him the carpet was so matted, this could have been there previously and when we cleaned any loose fibers or just cleaning could have made it move visible. He still says our vacuum snagged the carpet and caused this. I vacuumed and there was no snag. Also this isn't Berber where the long loose strings can easily cause a straight line rip.

He wants us to pay $89 from some place he found to fix it. I am refusing to pay (even this small amount), because there is no way we put this hole there.

What do ya think?

View attachment 70199
View attachment 70200

Also... We gave him a break on pricing since they are Asian and don't wear shoes. The carpet wasn't horrible. 8 areas for $225.

I always do a pre inspection...however sometime dues to circumstances this is not always possible. The customer is always right...use it as a learning experience...

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We always walk through the home first with the customer. You can't tell and see everything by just browsing around a room. There might be a hidden ink that you later see and hit and it starts to streak or some crap. We also do a ton of move ins and outs. Half the time these people are worried about moving crap out of one room by the time we are ready to clean it.

I guess what is rubbing me the wrong way about this is the customer calling a repair person in less than 10 mins after we left. Emailing us a quote and saying we need to pay it. We won't be taking care of it. This is a one and done customer, they are moving out of state. I can't but suspech they knew of it and then waited and wanted us to take care of it.

We have paid for stuff that our technicians may or may not have done. But I cleaned this house myself. The customer is always right is hard to live by in this industry. You clean hundreds of houses a year. You know what you can damage and not. If my iPhone cracks, can I complain to Apple they didn't make the screen strong enough and have them fix it? No.

EDS

Name
Ed
Agreed. I had a customer that pulled some shady stuff with my customer satisfaction gaurentee.

Long story but it was a set up kinda like your job. I told him that I would send to collections. He paid the next day. But I feel you when principle is involved. This guy is gaming you and it sucks. But for less then a 100$ can you swallow your pride???

My advice would be to move on. But then again I'm a goober...

F

FB7777

We always walk through the home first with the customer. You can't tell and see everything by just browsing around a room. There might be a hidden ink that you later see and hit and it starts to streak or some crap. We also do a ton of move ins and outs. Half the time these people are worried about moving crap out of one room by the time we are ready to clean it.

I guess what is rubbing me the wrong way about this is the customer calling a repair person in less than 10 mins after we left. Emailing us a quote and saying we need to pay it. We won't be taking care of it. This is a one and done customer, they are moving out of state. I can't but suspech they knew of it and then waited and wanted us to take care of it.

We have paid for stuff that our technicians may or may not have done. But I cleaned this house myself. The customer is always right is hard to live by in this industry. You clean hundreds of houses a year. You know what you can damage and not. If my iPhone cracks, can I complain to Apple they didn't make the screen strong enough and have them fix it? No.
Do what you feel is right, it's your company

Too bad you didn't have a hot glue gun ready when you went back to look at it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom