Your PTO Van, and the art of making them last longer.... manufacturers!?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So those of you who have a PTO And also you, yes YOU manufacturers that make them.

Beside maintaining the machine on the regular schedule, what do we need to do to prolong the life of the unit as a whole (van + machine). Most manufacturers (Hydra Master, Sapphire, Cleanco, Butler) seem to be awfully quiet about it.

1. I service my carpet cleaning unit according to instructions
  2. I change van's motor oil every 3000 miles (synthetic) which is the the actual mileage + machine hours that I calculate as 35 miles per machine hour.
  3. I do my regular van's engine maintenance (5000, 10,000 etc.) according to GMC instructions (same calculations.)

Some here install a transmission cooler, performance radiator, change transmission oil more frequently.

What, according to the accumulated experience and evidence of the members, suppliers and manufacturers, will help our PTO van last longer and perform better?

And what's worth the extra investment?

Reactions: Russ T.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Don't know about ptos but changing transmission fluid more often is what I do. You only change a small amount of the total fluid so I figure it's cheap insurance. Never had one go bad. I would definitely add a transmission cooler if I had a pto.

Gene

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
What the heck is a transmission cooler and do I need one on my Cleanco? I've got @ 65K on the van and @ 2300 hrs on the Cleanco.

Thing has been really solid and I want to keep it that way.

Good questions Ofer.

J

JS41035

I think any piece of equipment that is running and out of sight should have a high temperature Killswitch and a low oil pressure kill switch. Most catastrophic engine failure's on PTO units are caused by temperature. A simple fitting failure kills an otherwise healthy engine. Other than that I think the Quality of the installation plays a huge factor.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Could you repeat the question?

I wasn't paying attention : )

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We change our oil more often and sooner than recommended.

I change my oil in the vans (with Butler units) every 1000 miles or so NOT including Butler run hours. Also, there is a gauge on the newer vans (GMC) that tells you percentage of oil life remaining. I am finding I am at about 45% of oil life remaining when the oil and filter is changed.

Also for oil...I know everyone has a favorite, but we have been using the Rotella T 15-40 weight oil for years in these van motors. It is actually built for Diesel motor vehicles, but we have seen where is works best for the vans while SITTING and running.

I have one of our old 93 GMC and Butlers showing up today at my shop. Over 260,000 miles on the van and original motor and drive Trane, as well as over 11,000 hours on the Butler unit. That's about 593,000 miles on that ORIGINAL motor. Transmission is also original.

For the rest of the vans, we have the oil pans dropped and filters and oil changed as well as any differential fluids done the same.

Lot's of maintenance will keep the heart of the unit going.

In the cat pumps and blowers, 500 hours is the recommended time for changing those oils, we change them around 300 hours.

Our opinion is that the oil is cheap, and keeping it fresh makes the things last!

My old High School Band director owns this thing now and cleans part time with it.

SaigersSteamCleanVan001_zpsdeae84eb.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It will be very helpful if some of the manufacturers and suppliers will chime in and share their wealth of knowledge.
After all they service so many more of these machines and see these vans, a lot more than any of us individual cleaners.

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
To make my direct drive vans last I always do a monthly oil change and an annual radiator and transmission fluid change. One other thing is to avoid prolonged periods of high speed driving, that is, keeping it under 70 on the freeway whenever possible. My Express has the same motor and transmission and at 140K miles and 10K hours it is still running strong. It's good to think of the vehicle as the work tool it is and treat it with care.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Ofer, the manufacturers make money when you buy new, they are hoping you don't do any maintenance;)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You're right Ron.
What I am trying to figure out (not being mechanically inclined) is what's worth doing and what's just a waste of time or money.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
You're right Ron.
What I am trying to figure out (not being mechanically inclined) is what's worth doing and what's just a waste of time or money.

I think you just got a pretty good taste of basic maintenance. I know cooling fluid is in the service intervals but surely don't forget that one. I believe it was Justin who mentioned the tempature sensors and they are important however, I had a over temp on my Pro 1200 and a computer controlled truck engine sensor for over temp, low coolant and low oil pressure and they both failed when the bottom seal in the radiator blew.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Can any local mechanic do a proper coolant flush on a PTO? I'm hours away from KC, where my Cleanco was installed.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
- Transmission cooler/tow package installed from the factory, change trans fluid at 25k intervals.
- Monthly oil filter changes.
- Use a remote filter kit so a larger filter can be used in place of the stock peanut.
- Use Wix 51515 filter.
- Use all synthetic oil.
- Flush the cooling system at 36k and replace the GM red with Prestone green.
- Keep an eye on the plastic and rubber underhood bits: hoses, belts, plug wires, cooling system connections.

That is all.

Speaking fragile plastic underhood parts and other head-scratching decisions by automakers, does anyone know why GM specifies the red stuff for coolant? It breaks down into a hard aluminum-looking sludge that plugs the radiator to the point that a flush won't work and the radiator has to be replaced. Definitely causes heat-related problems for our trucks. We change it out at the end of the warranty and never worry about it again.

Reactions: Nate The Great
Name
Marcus
Use full synthetic oil not synthetic blend
I use Amsoil the racing oil on my cars and truckmounts...
I change it every 150 hours and can hardly tell that it is used....
Hard to find but well worth the 8-9$ Quart

Mikey P

Administrator
I go 100 hours on mine.

At the tranny guy now getting a full service, flush and filter

$250 worth of fluid alone..yikes

Ever seen inside an automatic transmission? (Not mine)

20141121_101331.jpg

Name
Marcus
Get a kero heater...
Get thou the job faster more efficient less labor no triggering...more water flow- twice the cleain
Save hours on your pto.......best investment
Cap

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom