Your thoughts on these polishing pads with Ferrzon.. stronger than diamonds.

Name
cameron demille
nothing new. It's another abrasive synthetic pad

What is the significance of them being harder than diamonds? how will that benefit the user?

It's been proven that these types pads don't work as a system to replace diamond abrasives. They aren't capable of providing the same finish or clarity without texturing the stone.

Think about how many different types of diamond abrasives there are on the market. That is what is happening with these synthetic pads, they're flooding the market.

I would take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Also, these pads (or any of the others) don't offer any price advantage over diamonds.

I do recommend them though, as a single step to finish and the give the stone a matter, or satin finish.

Last edited:
Name
I'm Rick James
What pads do you recommend?

Thanks for the insight.. I just went through a certification class and want to get everything dialed in.

Name
I'm Rick James
I hope nobody takes that shit seriously. Everything I've ever heard come out of there was a joke. Plus the fact that you're "certified" after a few days. Jesus.

I don't know man, I took it pretty serious.. its a certification class for better education so how can it be a joke. What he taught was more baseline, standard procedures and products. I am sure the self declared "gurus" of the industry can nitpick the class but overall it helped a room full of people better understand stone and tile cleaning..

What did you hear come out of the class that was a joke? It also took over a month to get my results back..

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
I'm Rick James
Just curious what does everyone think is the best way to get a higher education within our industry? Should our industry just rely on the forums and you tube.. oh and facebook now?

I can see it now.. "yes sir, I can clean your stone, I watched a you tube video to show me how."

Don't you guys thinks its irresponsible to tell people to not take any IICRC class?

Name
cameron demille
I know they were looking to change up their curriculum, maybe they finally did, but they were advertising a 3 day class to get certified for tile inspector/substrate inspector. I've been doing this for a while and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near an expert. I just don't know how anyone can justify a certification after a few days. It just undermines the guys that take their job seriously, because I know there are a ton of people out there using the letters next to their name to weasel their way into jobs.

There are a lot of inspectors, expert witnesses, consultants, etc. out there that aren't nearly qualified for their jobs. When there is a school that pumps these people out, it just bugs me. I'm only speaking of the stone-specific stuff, I don't know anything about the other parts. It has been a little while since I have seen what they had for their literature though, and I know they've been making a move to improve, so I could just be talking out of my ass at the moment.

Name
I'm Rick James
I know they were looking to change up their curriculum, maybe they finally did, but they were advertising a 3 day class to get certified for tile inspector/substrate inspector. I've been doing this for a while and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near an expert. I just don't know how anyone can justify a certification after a few days. It just undermines the guys that take their job seriously, because I know there are a ton of people out there using the letters next to their name to weasel their way into jobs.

There are a lot of inspectors, expert witnesses, consultants, etc. out there that aren't nearly qualified for their jobs. When there is a school that pumps these people out, it just bugs me. I'm only speaking of the stone-specific stuff, I don't know anything about the other parts. It has been a little while since I have seen what they had for their literature though, and I know they've been making a move to improve, so I could just be talking out of my ass at the moment.

Our instructor did the best he could with the time we had but there are people in every position in every job that aren't qualified to do what they do.. I think you can easily make it a two week course, but few would pay for it or even go.

I would think someone who gets certified is taking their job seriously.. if you're not iicrc certified then it might be a good idea if you are losing that much work to certified people.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Just curious what does everyone think is the best way to get a higher education within our industry? Should our industry just rely on the forums and you tube.. oh and facebook now?

I can see it now.. "yes sir, I can clean your stone, I watched a you tube video to show me how."

Don't you guys thinks its irresponsible to tell people to not take any IICRC class?

For stone? something like the stone pro class or MB stone here on the east coast.
The iicrc class is more of an intro to the topic then training.

The problem is always $$$$ in this industry, expect to pay $1200 or something for a couple days of training.
Well worth it over the long term, IMO.

Name
I'm Rick James
For stone? something like the stone pro class or MB stone here on the east coast.
The iicrc class is more of an intro to the topic then training.

The problem is always $$$$ in this industry, expect to pay $1200 or something for a couple days of training.
Well worth it over the long term, IMO.

IICRC or any certification course.. I would pay the $1200 but they don't offer it in my area.. it took years to get this one.

Name
I'm Rick James

I'm sorry I thought you were implying to not bother with any course.. I see it on the forums all too often when someone wants to start a new service and just relies on feedback and you tube videos for their education.. drives me crazy.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
And here I was thinking with my patch, I was a certified expert. Dang going to have to watch a few more YouTube videos then for sure I will be an expert!

In all seriousness though, I have basic knowledge on natural stone and have done many jobs that have come out great for the customers, but I have not felt on any job to this day, that we performed the very best service the floor needed.

Don't get me wrong, we did the "best" we could with the know how we have( customers are almost always ecstatic with results) but on final walk through I feel there is someone out there that could of done better with their experience and or better technique/products.

I don't feel this way with almost any of our other services like carpet cleaning, vct tile work, water restoration, office cleaning, upholstery, etc,etc.

So this is not a common felling for me but I recognize it will take a long time and will need a lot more experience and on job learning discovery to really master natural stone/granite polishing and restoring thus achieving results like some of these companies that have been doing this work for decades or longer.

Name
cameron demille
Our instructor did the best he could with the time we had but there are people in every position in every job that aren't qualified to do what they do.. I think you can easily make it a two week course, but few would pay for it or even go.

I would think someone who gets certified is taking their job seriously.. if you're not iicrc certified then it might be a good idea if you are losing that much work to certified people.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence, and I agree with the second part, but it's out of context. the problem is not necessarily the people taking the course, but the people offering it. People that are looking to improve their skills or simply get a foot in the door to begin doing this type of work are often reeled in by course like the IICRC. Regardless of getting a certification or not, 3 days in a classroom is an absolute waste of time and money. It does nothing for you unless you can get your hands on a machine and do the actual work.

I will use MB Stone Care's class as an example: $1425.00 for 4 days, hands on. I have been there, Stu flew me out a few years ago to help teach it. It's legit, he works you into the ground for 4 days. For $1425. The cost of the class will save you from causing that much or more in damages alone. You'll make your money back on the first job or two.

Before Stu's class, our class, or a few of these others popped up, the IICRC had something going, but it's not apples to apples. As far as their carpet and other certifications, I have no opinion. From what I hear, they're great and well respected, but they ventured outside of their area and are trying to offer something they have no business offering. Just from knowing who some of the instructors were teaching the courses, that alone tells me it's nothing to take seriously.

Name
cameron demille

You should take classes, but some organizations throw money at advertising and "certifications" instead of actually teaching relevant information and getting instructors in their programs that know what they are doing. The forums are a great tool to weed out the bullshit money wasters from the people that will actually help you make money.

Reactions: Bee Busy
Name
I'm Rick James
You should take classes, but some organizations throw money at advertising and "certifications" instead of actually teaching relevant information and getting instructors in their programs that know what they are doing. The forums are a great tool to weed out the bullshit money wasters from the people that will actually help you make money.

The forums are great.. some of the answers given aren't so great but you just have to learn whom to take advice from.

From you experience, what is the one thing someone should know when doing tile & stone work?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
From you experience, what is the one thing someone should know when doing tile & stone work?[/QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem, to be a true pro, IMHO, you need to know all?majority)of it

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I don't think anyone knows it all. I believe in knowing fundamental of what does what and so on.

Don't just do something because you saw someone do it in a class, find out what exactly you did and why the outcome came out like so.

Also always good to be able to call rob from stone pro or Ted McFadden and ask questions while on the job to figure out best solution for a particular difficult job scenario.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
By knowing it all(majority), I mean for example
1. Sales, What does the customer really want? How are you going to get there?
2. Repairs...using resins, color matching , holes and cracks....hello travertine
3. Identifying coatings, what type, testing, how can you remove, can you remove?

There's your top 3

Reactions: Bee Busy

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Just my opinion...certifications don't mean jack...experience and knowledge, knowing how to explain the details of the job to the customer will always win them over

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom