Your Transmission Fluid and rebuild to follow..must read...

G

Gnu

I just read Mikey's thread on transmission flushes. So I will add my expertise here and save you guys from making a huge mistake.

First off always use the recommended tranny fluid for your vehicle. If you drive a Ford then use the factory recommended fluid.
If you drive a Chevy then use factory fluids only.

One of the huge reasons for any tranny failure both new and old vehicles is some hack, shit sucking lacky that works for minumum wage and simply don't give a shist about you and your livelihood.
Often most quick lube places that do tranny flushes and offer free "top-offs" on your fluids will put in the cheapest crap they can.
This sounds OK RIGHT?? Wrong!!
Often manufactureres use different "Wet-Clutch" materials inside the transmissions. From asbestos based clutches to semi-metallic, organic, kevlar, and fiberglass/asbestos or asbestos/kevlars to Nomex organic.

Each material has a certain grip and slip requirement that operates at a certain heat tolerance and clutch internal pressure system.

So, in short the hack quick lube shops will throw pretty much anything in there to save a few bucks. Almost always!! resulting is either a too slippery clutch system that will just spin and burn-up your internals. Or not enough "WET" slip-modifiers and will literally peel off the friction material due to over heating or chattering clutch disks.. Again making your tranny internals metal to metal burning up your transmission...

Guys who have classic vehicles like older Ford Mustangs or Older Chevy's like Nova's etc..
The worst thing you can put in these transmissions is the DEX/Merc Blend transmission fluid never ever ever use this stuff... In a Chevy it will cause burnt internal clutches from slippage, And clutch anealing in Fords. It will completely remove the clutch materials. Often in just a few miles upto 3,000 miles later.

Ok, I rebuild Transmissions for the past 11 years as a hobby. Mostly to help out some folks who dont have enough money to pay the average $2500 for a rebuillt transmission. I was an ASE certified mechanic for quite a few years pre-CC'er lol.
I mainly just stick to older Chevy rebuilds now days.

I hope this helps you guys out.... I have seen the end results of wrong fluids almost on every single transmission I ever had to open and rebuild. About 95% !dork!

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Re: Your Transmission Fluid and rebuild to follow..must read

Good post, but I have a question

How about a tranny, 4L80E mated to NEW 5.7 vortec that has never been serviced. It has roughly 130k on it.

I was thinking of rebuilding it this winter or run it until it dies.

your recommendations?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Re: Your Transmission Fluid and rebuild to follow..must read

I have a 2005 E-250 (80,000 miles) that will kick in and out of overdrive(at around 40-50mph).. The overdrive light also flashes on the gear selector. It's been in the local trany shop since last Thursday and $420.00(2 sensors later) I have decided to cut my loses and take it to ford. Any suggestions(worth a shot)? This van has sat a while and the place I took it to said they thought it might be a ground..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom