YP question

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
How much do you spend a year on YP advertising?

Do you think it works for you?

Do you feel it's the best bang for your buck or do you think you could have done better with other advertising?

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
We use the YP's. Didn't always. When it was just me I kept it to a bare minimum, an in-column text ad. When the wife started working with me and we got serious about increasing sales she started taking out display ads. At one point we were in six or more directories. Some did well, some didn't, overall it was a net gain.

It takes a little thought. You really need to look at the current directory, take your best guess at what it's gonna look like next edition and do what you can to get the best placement for your money.

Do a little homework and see what directories are available. We got into a lot of the smaller community directories. They're often a fraction of the price. It sounds like ad sales are off, like everything else, and from what I'm hearing they're willing to wheel and deal to get your business. And, don't let the YP people design your ad.

We don't put all of our eggs in a YP basket, but a YP presence is something I personally wouldn't want to be without. For as convenient as the Internet is, YP's are still the quickest, easist way for a lot of folks to find a local business. The younger generation may be using them less, but I'm betting the older generations will continue to use them.

Name
Jesse
14K last year, 19k this year.

That's between Janitorial, floor care, and carpet cleaning.

Return is positive but not great. The occasional large jobs make it worth while.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron Lippold said:
works good here lots of guys have dropped out

I think that makes it work a little better.

I stopped almost all my YP ads. I just have my name on a bold listing for reference. Just in case someone is trying to look me up.

I've had all sizes of ads and it usually comes down to just getting the ad paid and a little more.
Ok for building your business over time but no real marketing value.

Get on the internet where ever you can. Get into communities. Direct Mail is ok if done right.
Hopefully Email marketing will work out...we'll see.

Any ads have to be creative...in placement and production.
So far I haven't seen one miracle ad yet...

But I am still looking.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I payed over 10 grand a year for over 15 years until a few years ago when the YP company decided to double their rates.

Now I don't even have a free listing!

My amount of jobs and average job invoice totals are now much better than ever. Since I dropped the YPs and went to network marketing to groups in my area.

Think about paying a grand a month for YPs for instance You are likely to have to make 2-3 times that amount just to pay off the bill. All the while you are advertising with the clutter of all the other cleaners in your area.

Whereas, with networking your area there is little or no cost. So, you can quit working for the YP company and put the money right from the start into your own pocket.

You also enjoy the benefit of having little or no competition.

Most businesses don't know the secrets of how to market this way.

I'm just glad I found the way unlock the door to receiving free advertising!

Dave-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom