02 gmc fuel tap

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I tried to order one today and Central california cleaning supply don't have one and the mfg said they would make one for $500. Ouch

I need to find one. I don't care about the EPA sticker right now.
It just passed smog so I will deal with that in 2 years.

My prochem pto just blew a hole in the waste tank where the pump out is welded at the bottom of the tank. Jb weld and rescue tape has to hold till I can tear it out and install the tm I made.

Thank You

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I got a old white magic fuel tap that was left on the shelf at a local supplier. What kind of tubbing do you use and how do I avoid all of the fuel gauge problem and not run out of gas on a job?

Thank You

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Apparently the tap didn't come with the tubing to run into the tank. I have use poly tubing with compression fittings for this. Put a compression fitting on the end of the pickup tube to weight it down. Just do some measuring to get it about a quarter of the way off the tank bottom. Any quality 1/4" fuel line with clamps will work to run from the the tap to pump and then to the engine, however I like to use SS braided hose as much a possible. With open flame of the propane water heater it gives me a little more peace of mind.

Name
I'm Rick James
Isn't it illegal to have a tap that is not EPA approved? I had one done of my 05 Chevy at it was $635 for parts and labor. Not cheap, but its legal.. besides its a business expense and a tax write off.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The legal tap kit includes provision for a functional check valve that will prevent fuel spillage in the event of a rollover, but also a rigid down-tube of exacting length that will not only put the pickup at the right location, it will prevent interaction with the fuel gauge float.

It is unfortunate that only one company makes a legal kit, and their monopoly somewhat affords them to charge what makes them a profit, but it is what it is. But what is unknown is how much regulatory "crapolla" they have to endure to obtain the approval, so that they can issue a sticker. It must be part of the reason no competitor has decided to put their hat in the ring. Even if someone else were selling a legal kit, I bet pricing would still be as high, because of the economics of quantity being portioned for each manufacturer, and regulatory and R&D costs being borne each for the same to be amortized over less sales.

Two years from now, you will not only pay (what is probably more) for the correct kit (if it still available), but also the expenses of removing your temporary fix and replacing the parts (hose) that you cut to install the temporary tap.

Even if we set aside the above issues, there is the fact that the correct kit just works right. How much is the irritation worth of having yours run your van completely out of fuel on a job, or rendering your fuel gauge completely non-functional?

p.s. Welcome to California. :confusedd:

Last edited:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
If I decide to keep this van I will spring for the special made kit. I'm going to try to get anoter van soon. The motor and trans on this van are almost toast from the pto. Hundreds of vans out there have these kits in them with no epa sticker on them and they are working every day. I tried to get the kit but $500 and 6 weeks out. The smog guys around here don't even know they should check for the sticker. The next van will have the sticker, but for now my waste tank has jb weld on the bottom of it and he motor needs another intake manifold gasket. I would like to get rid of the pto so I don't have to pay for the labor to work around the pto again

Back
Top Bottom