146k Wondering if I need a new transmission.

Becker

Name
Becker
Headed to final job today. Climbing small hill, instead of shifting to 3rd, it just reved. Hmm.. Van slowed tried gas again, it went, then again once it should have shifted to 3rd it just reved.

Selected 2nd and made it to the job.

After job, same thing, drove home. 4k rpm at 55 mph.

Damnit, I knew I should have stuck to my past rule, get rid of them at 100-120,000 miles.

Ideas?

2006 ford e350 5.4

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Maybe it's just a shift solenoid, you will need to find an honest transmission guy to check it out.

Add Lucas Tammy additive and see if that makes a difference, also check your fluid does it smell burnt?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Maybe it's just a shift solenoid, you will need to find an honest transmission guy to check it out.
Have you noticed in this economic climate EVERYTHING needs to be replaced and not repaired. :errf:

New tranny, $2200.00-$2400.00 :cry:

Damnit, I knew I should have stuck to my past rule, get rid of them at 100-120,000 miles.
We try to do the same. If we don't eventually we get nickle and dime'd to death.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's one of the nice things about slide ins. Unlike a pto, the van gets old, just replace the van.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
That's one of the nice things about slide ins. Unlike a pto, the van gets old, just replace the van.

I gotta extra tranny in the garage. $800 w 26000 miles on it.

Don't be fooled by the PTO set up.
4 bolts and a set screw on the pulley, the shaft slides right out

Atleast on Mine it does : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Chris.
I am working my skill set up to changing a light bulb.
I'll keep you informed once I can handle screws.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Our hard surface van is an old 1996 inline 6 with 30800 plus miles on it and it just keeps going, decided 2 jefas ago that we would just run it until it died and just replace it. It doesn't get used but maybe once a week now, but up till now has been a really good van for over ten years for us.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Heat kills transmissions, so coolers and 50k service intervals can make the difference between no problems and replacement.
Keep the selector in the "lower" drive position in town to help prevent gear hunting, which creates more work for the trans. Even transmissions prone to failure, like the late 1990s/early 2000s Chevys, can be made dependable with the addition of a shift kit that ends those nice smooth shifts but prevents gear hunting.

Remember three-speed autos? Pretty bulletproof. Add overdrive fourth and more problems pop up. New transmissions are pedestrian if they only have six ratios, so I wonder if failure will be a bigger problem in the future.

PS: Need to buy a new truck to avoid repairs? If the only repair you have between 100 and 150k is a $2,500 transmission replacement, you're money ahead.

The only financial reason to replace a truck rather than continue to repair it is the cost of unplanned downtime, which can be a business killer but is easily handled with backup equipment. (Excluding wrecks or terrorists getting into Rico's compound.) We buy new trucks to avoid downtime, but also to make techs feel like they're being rewarded for providing great service. You don't have to apologize for WANTING a new truck, or feeling better once you get it, but it's an emotional decision not a logical one.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Keep your transmissions out of overdrive under 60 mph. Trannys shift into overdrive prematurely to boost c.a.f.e. rating, but doing so overheats them. My tranny guy, who has been building and rebuilding trannys for over 50 years told me I could at least double the life by locking out overdrive under 60 mph.

Reactions: GCCLee

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm going to either put a new tranny in. Or hire the shop here in town to rebuild it. Likely new/rebuilt tranny is cheaper.

Ohwell.

We've got no room for boring.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Need to buy a new truck to avoid repairs?
it just seems like they come unglued not long after 100k. Steering gets a little loose, ball joints, shocks, struts, are common repairs. Drive train on some, minor irrationals like heat/ac controls, door handles and arm rests too.

I drive an old beater but the company fleet is some what free of old vehicles.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Have you noticed in this economic climate EVERYTHING needs to be replaced and not repaired. :errf:

New tranny, $2200.00-$2400.00 :cry:

We try to do the same. If we don't eventually we get nickle and dime'd to death.
Yikes, One of my vans had the transmission go out and I got a pulled one from a junk yard for 650.00. took me and a friend 3 hours to put it in, running great. Now if I had pulled it myself it would have been only 450.00. It pays to learn how to do this kind of stuff. 3 years ago I couldn't change a spark plug. My next project it to replace the engine in another of my vans.

Becker

Name
Becker
Last van I replaced was a 99 I think in 2006. It had 120 miles. It drove loose. It ran like it had those miles. But this van even having more miles honestly drives much like it did the day I bought it. That's why I figured I'd shoot for 200k. Now with dumping 3 k into a tranny I'll likely go fir 200k now.

My 07 personal pick up. Same thing. Drive and rides like it did when new. Even friends that borrow it mention how nice it rides. It now have 120k miles.

I'll have then taken care of by the end if the month.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Keep your transmissions out of overdrive under 60 mph. Trannys shift into overdrive prematurely to boost c.a.f.e. rating, but doing so overheats them. My tranny guy, who has been building and rebuilding trannys for over 50 years told me I could at least double the life by locking out overdrive under 60 mph.

Sound Advice!
We pull A Lot of extra weight around too, that itself aint good on OD

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Name
Marcus
Headed to final job today. Climbing small hill, instead of shifting to 3rd, it just reved. Hmm.. Van slowed tried gas again, it went, then again once it should have shifted to 3rd it just reved.

Selected 2nd and made it to the job.

After job, same thing, drove home. 4k rpm at 55 mph.

Ideas?

2006 ford e350 5.4
If yours is a pto does the turckmount effect the life of the transmission or only effect the life of the engine?
I am guessing the van stays in park and the engine runs the blower wo effecting the transmission?
cap

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
2006 ford e350 5.4

I've got the same truck, love it! You buy it new? If the vans not a rust bucket, fix it.

Had mine done at about 110-115k, cost $1900.

146k is actually pretty good. They all need it sooner or later(even chevys:clap:).

One thing I would recommend, take it to the place that actually built the trans. As opposed to a local guy putting in a trans someone else built. My local guy put it on a flatbed and sent it out. That's how I would do it again.

I don't use overdrive.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
another thing is that i told you to find an honest transmission guy. a honest transmission guy would of told you something like it will cost 750 plus any hard parts that are broken.

that 750 includes a torque converter.

you can find the complete rebuild kits for about 500. i would throw in all performance upgrade shift kits that might add 300 or so. double the parts and thats 1550 parts and labor unless you actually broke hard parts then it another story and might be 2850 if you broke almost everything in there.

Becker

Name
Becker
another thing is that i told you to find an honest transmission guy. a honest transmission guy would of told you something like it will cost 750 plus any hard parts that are broken.

that 750 includes a torque converter.

you can find the complete rebuild kits for about 500. i would throw in all performance upgrade shift kits that might add 300 or so. double the parts and thats 1550 parts and labor unless you actually broke hard parts then it another story and might be 2850 if you broke almost everything in there.

Rebuild kit alone is nearly $600.00.

I ordered a rebuilt tranny 3 year 36 converter etc for $1600.00 no core.

Jasper wanted 2400 plus 700 core deposit.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should have it old out and new one in the same day.

If it were me I would just pay a shop 300 to put it in and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom