175rpm loud after getting wet

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
A few months ago I got a Powr-Flite 17" 1.5hp rotary. It has been really smooth and almost silent. The fresh water hose came loose @ my TM and soaked everything nearby. I wiped everything down. When I used my rotary today, the motor was louder. You can still have a conversation with it running, but there is a lot more noise. Can water do any harm if I let it dry for the weekend before running it?

Name
John LaBarbera
carpetcleaner said:
A few months ago I got a Powr-Flite 17" 1.5hp rotary. It has been really smooth and almost silent. The fresh water hose came loose @ my TM and soaked everything nearby. I wiped everything down. When I used my rotary today, the motor was louder. You can still have a conversation with it running, but there is a lot more noise. Can water do any harm if I let it dry for the weekend before running it?

If water got into the bearings that can ruin them. You could take it apart but the damage may already be done. If you run it, it's just noisy but will work till it breaks then replace the bearings. This just a guess, but the noise I would guess is coming from the gear box.

Maybe Powerflite will warranty it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
John LaBarbera said:
carpetcleaner said:

If water got into the bearings that can ruin them. You could take it apart but the damage may already be done. If you run it, it's just noisy but will work till it breaks then replace the bearings. This just a guess, but the noise I would guess is coming from the gear box.

Maybe Powerflite will warranty it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I tend to agree with John...

If I were you..I would call Power-Flite..."AND TELL THEM THE TRUTH".... :!:
I have found almost "ALL" distributors will always help in some way..."If you are HONEST with
them... :idea:

I would also COPY these post & E-mail them to Power-Flite...."You will be surprised..."
How a manufacturer will jump on any oppertunity to "LOOK GOOD" when a competitor
speaks WELL of them... :wink:

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've run a lot of buffers in extemely wet situations and haven't ever noticed a situation like this.

I guess it would be easy to take the bottom off the gearbox and have a look.

Name
John LaBarbera
Lee Stockwell said:
I've run a lot of buffers in extemely wet situations and haven't ever noticed a situation like this.

I guess it would be easy to take the bottom off the gearbox and have a look.

I agree floor machines are made to scrub wet floors. Do you think in this case the high pressure hose from the TM put water in the case?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Perhaps water came thru the motor ventilation slots and went down the shaft? Noise would then likely be motor bearings?

I couldn't go to sleep without having a look if it were mine. That's how I get some unintended maintenance lessons....and scrap parts.

:-)
Lee

Able 1

Name
Keith
carpetcleaner said:

How long was it after it got wet, that you used it again? Did it soak the electric motor?

Name
John LaBarbera
Lee Stockwell said:
Perhaps water came thru the motor ventilation slots and went down the shaft? Noise would then likely be motor bearings?

I couldn't go to sleep without having a look if it were mine. That's how I get some unintended maintenance lessons....and scrap parts.

:-)
Lee

That makes sense. It sounded like it got drenched so the grease is probably out of the bearing already and rusting.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
It just got wet on Fri. I ran it for about 5 minutes today trying to figure out the noise. Too much to do today to look into it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom