2.5" vacuum hose swivel for reel

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

I have need of a 2.5" swivel to convert a live reel to 2.5" hose. Does anyone know a source?

Sincerely,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

I brought this back to the top-before I give up. Has anybody seen/heard of a 2.5" "line reel"? What I need is the swivel for one.

Sincerely,
Dale

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you really don't want a live vacuum real.....it is just going to bog you down....hook a 2.5 section to your waste tank and set it where you can get to it easy.....pull off what you only need off the reel and hook them together.........adjust your hose lengths to what works best for you....

for example....my vacuum hose is set up...2.....50 foot sections of 2 inch.....then my 2.5 is broken into 25 foot sections.....anything over 100 feet...then I will pull as many 25 foot sections that I need to complete the run.....anything under 100 feet....no reason to pull out any 2.5 inch...........

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have 2 Butlers with 2.5 inch live reels. The live reel will hold 100 feet of 2.5 inch hose. I have my 2.5 inch hose split into 25 foot sections. I have a "Y" splitter behind the hose reel. This "Y" feeds a short section of 2.5 hose to the reel and also to another connector in front of the tank. I only take off the live reel what I need at the time and then plug the rest of the hose on the reel off with a Shaw plug. It is a very convienient way to have more 2.5 inch hose available and still have a faster set up. I carry into the house my 2 inch hose. Sometimes if I only want to hook up 50 feet of less of 2 inch hose, I have an adaptor that can do that.

But as the guys have said, a live reel with hoses coiled up on it is bad. I only use the live reel if I take off or unroll all 100 feet of 2.5 Inch hose to put to use.

2008GMCVanandButler013.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

P5290020.jpg

P5290013.jpg

P5290011.jpg

P5290019.jpg

P5290017.jpg

P5290018.jpg

P5290019.jpg

P5290014.jpg

Attachments

• P5290019.jpg
    P5290019.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 211

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey Mike,

It was actually pretty inexpensive for the convience and faster set up time at each job site. Cost of set of four 2.5 cuffs (I think around $20 per set 4 sets x $20 = $80), a Greenie reducer I had (and actually some of the other cuffs out there with reducers will work for around $10 for the synthetic type) 2.5 inch "Y" splitter for around $35, some extra 2.5 inch hose (of course the 2.5 inch hose is around $127 per fifty foot section 2 sections x $127 = $254) my sets of 2 inch cuffs which I have a 50 foot section of 2 inch hose and then 2 sets of 25 foot hose so 3 sets of 2 inch around $20 per set (3 x $20 =$60). The Shaw plugs to plug the 2.5 inch was $23 and the 2 inch was $14. I of course ordered extra shaw plugs in case I werer to lose one, but to this day that has not happened (knock on wood). The 2.5 inch hose reel is an update from Butler and I am not sure what that price was.

So minus the Butler Hose Reel updated price:
100 feet of 2.5 inch hose itself: $254 (You might spend more if don't have short section for after the "Y" Splitter)
100 feet of 2 inch hose itself: $180
4 sets of 2.5 inch cuffs: $80
4 sets of 2 inch cuffs: $80 (extra set to make adapter)
2.5 inch to 2 inch reducer: $20 (extra one to make adapter and if you can find a Greenie reducer, more money)
2.5 inch "Y" Splitter: $35
2.5 inch Shaw plug: $23
2 inch Shaw plug: $14
3 sets Super Straps: $30 (guessing at this price, but super straps work well for holding the 2 inch hoses and 2.5 when needed)

Grand total with all hoses $716 (this should take you right to the wand and $434 of this is for hoses)

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SURE IF SOME OF THESE PRICES WOULD BE CURRENT, SO I DON'T MEAN TO UPSET ANY RETAILERS ON THE BOARD. JUST MY BEST RECOLECTION AND LOOKING AT A FEW OLD RECIEPTS.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

I agree with Jim, Mark, and Mikey.

Live Swivels collect water in the bottom of the hose coils and increase the amount of lift lost.

Generally, not a good idea.

Larry

P.S. Mark: I know you are not using Cuff Lynx,
but a 2.5" to 2" reducer is inexpensive and would flow better:
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=4946

Also, upgrading that Bentley jet manifold would increase your productivity.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
that's what I use..........so much easier then messing around with home grown parts.......

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

We all know what live swivels do....

I do what the Customer I'm selling the van to wants.

Mark is that a true 2.5" I.D. live swivel? If so do you know if Butler sells them, or are they just their regular swivels-they always had a 2.5" hose connected on the blower end-but were 2" on the inside connection.

Thx,
Dale

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hi guys:

We all know what live swivels do....

I do what the Customer I'm selling the van to wants.

Mark is that a true 2.5" I.D. live swivel? If so do you know if Butler sells them, or are they just thier regular swivels-they always had a 2.5" hose connected on the blower end-but were 2" I.D.

Thx,
Dale

Maybe you should educate him on what it is going to do to his performance and save you both a headache....

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Jim;

So if you were determined that you "had to have a live reel"- would rather have 2" hose and swivel or 2.5"? Of course to change to 2.5" means nothing- if it's choked at the swivel. I'm wondering if anybody here has really tried a true 2.5" all the way through? Am I missing something @ Butler's website where they don't seem to offer it?

Sincerely,
Dale

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hi Jim;

So if you were determined that you "had to have a live reel"- would rather have 2" hose and swivel or 2.5"? Of course to change to 2.5" means nothing- if it's choked at the swivel. I'm wondering if anybody here has really tried a true 2.5" all the way through? Am I missing something @ Butler's website where they don't seem to offer it?

Sincerely,
Dale

It is really more about using the least amount of hose as possible.....your not just choked at the swivel....but your also bogging your self down by forcing your machine to pull threw useless hose that is wrapped up on the reel....

if your run is just 100 feet...and you have 200 on a live reel....what going to give you the best performance....breaking the hose at 100 feet and hooking it to the whip that is attached to the waste tank.....or....leaving it all hooked together and having the machine pull threw that extra coiled up 100 foot....??

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

Please if anyone knows where to buy a true 2.5 swivel would you let me know?

Sincerely,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Mark;

It's a Butler. BTW, I never did tell you about the S.S. Chinese mufflers project we talked about...well the 2 welded together were too load. Finally it took 3 straight through 3" S.S. units welded together and a S.S. baffled tip to silence the 4.7 blower. It's now a bit loader than a stock Butler-but quiter than most slide-ins. You would not want to do it on a reg sized van because it's 50" long. I did it because the Butlers cost so bloomin much, but I raised the CFM by about 12% along with the S.S. wide radius elbow on the suction side (threw away the sharp plastic elbow).

Thanks Dale

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Larry:

I appreciate it-but's that's what the old one is-I need 2.5" I.D.

Thnaks,
Dale

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks Fred:

You are correct-that is as close as I’ve seen. I tried to call them and willhave to tomorrow to see if "swivel" means minimal resistance continuanceuse – like a vacuum reel needs. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
Sincerely,<o:p></o:p>
Dale<o:p></o:p>

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Back agian:

I called both of the above mentioned.

Mark: Butler has a 2.5" "conversion kit"-it is over $600.
Fred: Firehose depo' s swivel is $60 (that's about what Butler's should cost) but it's not a full swivel-it only swivels until the ends meet.

Please if anyone sees one, I'm still looking

Sincerely,
Dale

FredC

Village Idiot
Back agian:

I called both of the above mentioned.

Mark: Butler has a 2.5" "conversion kit"-it is over $600.
Fred: Firehose depo' s swivel is $60 (that's about what Butler's should cost) but it's not a full swivel-it only swivels until the ends meet.

Please if anyone sees one, I'm still looking

Sincerely,
Dale

I think that swivel I linked to is made by Dixon valve and they may have other models. Kochek had similar swivels when I was looking. Might be worth looking through the sites/catalogs...

http://www.kochek.com/FireEquipment.aspx?uid=381-163
http://www.dixonvalve.com/

FredC

Village Idiot
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom