2 you all who have successfull company's

KOOSER55

Im branching out on my own now, ive got everything lined up to get work and stay busy and for my slow days i have a company i cant work for so, Im looking into getting a machine. I was really thinking about getting a max 470 because its the best to the other machines in its class for the price. Im going to be doing residentual and some water damage jobs to start out. I ordered a rx 20 and tile cleaning equipment. Ive used either so i plan on practicing alot and then going out and try to get some tile and grout work. On my slow days i plan on going into the local complexs and telling them ill do a apartment for free and using the rx and the sme for commercial accounts. I will demo the carpet with the rx and the tile and grout. I eventually want to do mostly commercial and water restoration But i guess my question is should i spend 27m on a new maxx 470 set up or should i buy something around 15k and work my way up.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Do the apt for half price before free.At least get your chems and gas paid back...my 2 cents...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you know what works and that is what you want, buy the new one.
You will be sorry if don't get what you want.
It's like buying a truck without the powerwindows and doors and all that.
If you have a higher payment (if financing) you will be happy to work more to pay for it. Then your business grows more rapidly and when the machine is paid off, it's all gravy baby.

diamond brian

Not sure I'd buy a high-end machine for apartments. Why not use a Prowler or a used 100A until you really get going?

Name
I'm Rick James
Get a machine you can afford. I would cancel the order on the RX-20, you don't need one when your starting off. The reason alot of companies go out of business is because they buy more than they need. That $2-3000 can go towards marketing.

Are you building a foundation for your business? Do you have a business & marketing plann? Are you gonna be insured, licensed, bonded ect? I personally wouldn't waste your time on apts IMO. That $2-3000 you saved by not buying a RX-20 you could use for a postcard or val pak marketing. You should get a bunch of business cards and hand them out everywhere you go.

Everyone has different ideas on how you should start, the only good advice I can give you is don't buy more than you need, when your first starting out.

Can we get more info on your business, like name, plans ect? Oh and a profile, you will get more answers....

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yea, go to the marketing room before you buy anything. Some good stuff over there.
PM Ken Snow...He's seems to have a handle on it.

TimP

Buy a light 175 buffer with 1.5 horse motor and greenhorn wand from greenglides before an RX. It will cost 1/2 and clean better.

Also buy used equipment to start out. I wouldn't jump into water restoration unless you got a hook up for work cause you aint gonna get it with advertising.

There is a used max 450 with ford van turn key for like 19 grand in chantilly VA. Pretty close to you to check out for the price....it's been up for months on the jondon classifieds. I'm sure he's ready to negotiate now. You may get it for like 15 if you try.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
for my 2cents...as a apt hack that i have been, know how to do repairs and spot dying and if you cant get in and out of a stright clean (no scrubing and no repairs ) within 30 mins you will hate doing apts ...and make sure you only work for companys that pay within 30days.....ask them up front and/or ask other vendors that work for them..as a single oper you will need 6 to 8 atp complexs to make your nut each month ,

skip the rx and the maxx get a greenhorn wand and a judson tm. best choice you could make in equipment and people that will be there for you

G

They are right about rx; save that for a year or so when you have operating capital. Also; I did well with the Prowler minus the repair cost and up keep; Even more economical would be a Recoil XPS 500 psi porty/tm Setup with propane and a EDIC Powermate, and Mytee 2000 watt heater for inside jobs. I have run up to 200 foot of hose with just the unit and no external booster; Try to keep from paying out to much and as little operating cost as possible so you can stand up; then go for the bigger setups; you will last longer.

I have 18 apartment complexes my company services ,90 commercial Janitorial Cleaning contracts, and 78 commercial carpet contracts; If you can afford to hire cleaners property managers love it when one company can provide all they need to turn over apartments for the next occupant (especially apartment complexes near a college). Make sure you have all your insurance(General Liability, Workman's Comp., Bonding).

Anyway you decide; please think your steps carefully and good luck.

Mike Draper

buying a portable is money that should have been spent on a TM. You will never make money or be really productive with a portable, it will just slow you down......just my 2 cents.

Able 1

Name
Keith
You don't really need the biggest truckmount I would say anything 20 horse or better should do the trick. My Prochem Peak(around $18,000) has treated me vary well and converting to 4 to the door or to the 2.5 and a glide you can really get alot out of these smaller TM.

Keith

hogjowl

Idiot™
"Successful" businessmen are "ABLE1" to understand when to replace a vacuum gauge.

LOL ... sorry, I couldn't resist.

PS He did ask for successful companies to respond.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Listen here my gauge was like this since i bought the TM.

I do just fine to let you know.

PS your monthly meeting is tommarow, you look good in white! Plus you don't have to hide the comb over! (it's the first you know) :lol: JK

Keith

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
as a person that had enough business when I started out, the TM was a way to branch out to do different things and add more money to the business

The Maxx series wasn't around when I started. I went from a
spit fire to a
cross fire
used some performer 405's
bought a 450 MAXX, used a 470 for a time
went to a Thermal Wave II
then to a Vortex

the thermal wave was the first new machine I bought

in the end I wish I would have bought the best thing I could at the time, seem to have thrown a lot of money out the door

I also bought an RX 20 later on. With every step things seemed to get a lot better when it came to cleaning. Don't use the RX 20 very much anymore, mainly just on a few restuarants.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes, I started with portys and I kick myself thinking about what I could have done if I just started with the best equipment. Of course I learned a bit more about advertising but I still believe I would have grown as a company quicker and easier (on my back) if I would have taken the chance.

Remember it's not what you do that you regret...it's what you DON'T do that you will regret.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Oddly enough I don't regret being debt free.... No TM here. I plan to save up & PAY CASH FOR ONE. Debt is like cancer... You can beat it but it sure sucks to have it. Get the work first... You can figure out how to do it more efficiently later.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jeremy said:
Oddly enough I don't regret being debt free.... No TM here. I plan to save up & PAY CASH FOR ONE. Debt is like cancer... You can beat it but it sure sucks to have it. Get the work first... You can figure out how to do it more efficiently later.

I couldn't disagree more. If you don't have the funds pay for them (financing) the amount of money you pay for the financing you will more than make up by being more efficient.
Borrowing money is what this great nation was founded on....ok that might be a little overdone...but you get the picture.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Credit is awesome I use no intrest credit cards and it started my bussiness I'll pay one off and they will send me checks for no intrest for 18 months.

How can you beat that? A no intrest loan makes me the money to pay for it! All my advertizing is done this way.

Credit score 792

Van and TM payed for in 2.5 years!

I'm getting a free laptop from my points.

Not for everyone but if you pay your bills and understand that the plastic that you swipe you will eventually pay for It's not all bad. You just have to pay your bills.

Keith

Greg Loe

If failing is your plan, then you're on the right path.

If you like to be successful, you'd better start with a plan. Financial and marketing plan. Equipment is the least of your worries.

How much income must you make every month to meet your needs in the business, at home, for growth, for emergencies?

After you have that number, see if you can make that much after all the Christmas trees go up. How will you make it in December? Will your family still have a good Christmas if you're short that month? Did you make your insurance payment? :shock: Do you know how much insurance you should have to do water damage work? Are you covered if you cause a mold problem? Even if you didn't cause it, you'll have to defend yourself in court.

Good luck!

If you are going to be doing WDR also I would strongly reccomend (depending on budget) saving some money and going with a smaller TM so you can afford to invest in the proper WDR equipment.
Owning a TM does not qualify someone to do WDR, its a vastly different field than carpet cleaning. After training, meters, minimal equipment investments, and insurance premiums needed to enter WDR you'll have just enough of that 27k left over for a small marketing plan.

Listen to Greg Loe's advice.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
I wouldn't buy a new system... the markets are flooded with 2-3 year old quality systems with 500, 1200, 2500 hours. Probably from guys like you who thought having a new system was the way to go. Then money got tight for whatever reason, and now they are out of business.. not that I'm saying that will happen to you, but only as a word of caution.

Buy the used one for 15k, cancel your RX-20 order. If you barter hard enough you can probably get it for a few under 15k. Use the 12K left over to upgrade your system to 2.5 in plumbing, hoses and greenhorn wand. Take what's left over and split it in half. Put half into marketing. Monthly postcard direct mail, join a BNI, Chamber, build a website, discount coupons to hand out, etc.. Put the other half in the bank. Each month buy a $500 or $1000 6 month CD.. after a while you'll have a rotating monthly CD coming due that you can use for training, equipment purchases, marketing, etc.. If you don't need it, it will go right back in for another 6 months and continue earning interest. At least you'll be getting some interest while the money isn't being used and it's a little harder to get at to prevent any dumb impulse purchases.

You NEED a business plan!! Speaking from experience here.. I didn't have one and I wish I did!!! Talk to Service Corp of Retired Executives or SCORE. They have workshops on all things related to business. They can help you build a business and marketing plan and give you some really usefull information and insight into things you probably never thought of.

Just because you've got 27k available doesn't mean you have to spend it all on equipment. Save as much as you can and purchase things as the growth of business dictates. Your van insurance, liablity insurance, phone, cell, and other fixed expenses will be there every month whether your busy or not. So what if you are debt free with no van or machine payments but are cash poor and can't advertise because you don't have any money left over and the phone isn't ringing... you'll be pissed off for sure.

Good luck

KOOSER55

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I have a great business plan. Ive talked to 3 banks and all three were very impressed especially because I was only 23 and put it together like I had. My aunt told me she can get me a good amount of work, that is advertising free wtr dmg works so.... I have a marking plan and Ive ran the advertising dept. for the other company so im very familuar with it. The payment on my equipment is going to be about 600 and im sure Ill be able to do that. If alll fails Ill go back to selling cars I made about 75k my year doing that but i think i can more then triple that in the long run doing this. Ive been talking to some of the guys in near buy states that are veterans at the wtr dmg that way if i get a bigger job thats out of my league I can call them to help and split the profit with them

Greg Loe

How much is your insurance for carpet cleaning?
How much for water damage?
How much for your van?
How much for your medical?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not trying to knock you so much, but if you don't have these insurances, it's not fair to your customers or you.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Carpet cleaning 250,000

Don't do h2o work.

Van is fully covered

Health in. good enough too pay at least 80,000 dollars last year when I was in a car acident broken pelvis,broken ribs (2 only) and shaddard elbow. It was july the phone was ringing off the f'n hook. (Depression you think) I had two surgeries to rebuild my elbow. PLEASE THIS ONLY TOOK ME 1 and 1/2 weeks and I was scheduling jobs.

Hired someone and did my rental acounts while I was gimping around.

Greg the only way a business fails is if you let it!

Keith

Able 1

Name
Keith
Greg Loe said:
If failing is your plan, then you're on the right path.

Good luck!

There is no failing for this cat. On the right path for what? I haven't paid intrest for s---? That makes me ready for failing? Are you smoking crack?

So Greg have you ever paid intrest? So you paid cash for your house? You are setting yourself for failing. Just go pay your intrest!

Keith

Able 1

Name
Keith
Damn! I did not say I made 250,000 that's what my ins. covered for carpet cleaning and upolestry.

Little testy! (Let me specify not that you have little testicles but you are on edge!)

Take a vacation!

Keith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom