2005-6008 Xentherm wars

Mikey P

Administrator
6008_zpsb8c196ce.jpg

As president of the Vortex Historian Club, Number 1 paid shill, former Administrator of the Vortex Bulletin Board and chief heart breaker, this ad bring back some memories...

From August 2005.

FMI stopped manufacturing the units so Shawn was forced to deal with Aerotech once again. Aerotech was "forced" to manufacture a machine that was in direct competition with their own version of the Big Truck. it was Shawn's goal to prove to the online world that Xentherm heat was oh so much hotter and safer than a water/diesel exhaust system.

system_works.jpg

xentherm_ad.jpg

Claims of frozen and or exploding water only AT exchangers never panned out to be an issue. Although the big single exhaust tube was moved into the cab issues have been minimal to non existent.

Myself owning both systems can attest to the near equal performance, with a slight edge to the Vortex in initial heat on the first job of the day. The zero maintenance , no oily leaks, no $1000 transfer pump, additional plumbing and HX tube more than makes up for it.

Michael Lockheart and some others have converted their Xentherm trucks to water only systems Please do not attempt this with out understanding the risks involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
NO NO NO NO NO -----do not just change your oil to water in your current system. VERY DANGEROUS!

It is dangerous as the original e3 exchanger is only designed and rated at 300 psi. If you just reroute the water and run water through the e3, it will blow the shell pretty quickly.

You must have a manufacturer make you a new exchanger rated for at least 3000 psi and have it installed where your e3 sits. Then you can reroute your water lines and have great heat without the heating oil. There are a couple of other changes necessary but this is the main change.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
You just don't know how happy I am not to deal with that anymore..........

Name
George Valliant
Even after 15 years of service Big Red is still a player...

Currently, it's in Lippold's shop getting the spa treatment.

It's one bad mamba jamba!

It will be refreshed and ready to go another 15 years when lippy gets done with her.

20131117_110205_zps3c12b0fd.jpg

20131117_105951_zpsb5331ee7.jpg

Name
Ron lippold
George is who turned me on to it. George where do we get the moible from. It could be the dealer. George knows.

Name
George Valliant
Hey Ronnie,

you can get Mobiletherm all day long from your local Western Refinery for 75 or 90 bucks a pail. something like that

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so mikey your truck has the new AT style HX now??? I never knew you switched it out. if I lived in a warm climate I would want the HX outside the truck. there was a case of the xentherm exploding and blowing all over some rugs being hauled by a venturi truck back in the day. aerotech is the one who designed the machines in the first place, shawn was just a slick salesman. wonder what SY is doing these days smoking weed in costa rica in a bungalow?? collecting his $8k/mo stipend from legends brands.

Mikey P

Administrator
few more questions

The white tank above the blower box?
Side step bent back...?
Where are all your tools?
Have you ever heard of Trim Shine?
Do you use ear protection?
How is the transmission?

Name
George Valliant
What's being done to the truck?

1. replace engine Stop Motor (engine doesn't turn off unless you reach under cab and pull the cable)
2. new brake pads and master cylinder
3. fix electrical short in the markers on the box
4. replace some missing body bolts on the box
5. new valve cover gasket
6. possible turbo charger rebuild
7. replace air conditioner condenser fan
8. Wheel simulators
9. replace rear differential oil w/ Amsoil synthetic gear lube.
10. Thinking about chopping my waste tanks in half like eric @ zipper did.

Would love to replace the waste tanks with something more compact with a pump-out

The transmission is solid but it was replaced by a previous owner and I've used synthetic fluid exclusively. I regularly swap out the fluid twice a year. Spring and fall. dropped the pan and replaced the filter once.

the white tank on-top of the silencer is a 15 gallon 12v electric sprayer from harbor freight. when big red gets hot there's no cooling her down. The pre-spray comes out too hot so had to switch to electric sprayer for consistency.

The step was already bent when I got the truck. Looks like somebody ran over a butler with it.

This truck has been parked since I got the Sprinter van running about 10 months ago. so, I took all the tools out.

negative on the hearing protection - makes for a happy marriage cuz I can't hear any bitchin or complaining :headbang:

Name
George Valliant
It's gotten to the point where either i fix what I got or buy a new truckmount.

It's cheaper to just fix what I got.

I'll keep you posted

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
few more questions

The white tank above the blower box?
Side step bent back...?
Where are all your tools?
Have you ever heard of Trim Shine?
Do you use ear protection?
How is the transmission?

Mike...as for that white box/tank, I use the same thing for my solution tank. A lot less fill ups. 15 gallons of solution will last a while.

Name
George Valliant
Just remembered that the alternator was bad too. Had it rebuilt last week at a cost of $125.

Rebuilding was a no brainer because a new one sells for $1250.00.

Cha ching.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I wish you would of posted pics of you truck last week, I would of had my guy make another corner chrome radius while he was making 2 for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom