2014 Restrospective

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
It’s been an interesting 2014 for me. After 21 years in business I closed my carpet cleaning business. It was a tough decision but one I am quite pleased with. The days of large coupon based carpet cleaning companies is OVER. Groupon sealed the deal and I got out while the getting was good!

I wrestled with whether or not to retire and spend my days fishing, hunting, or doing whatever the hell a retired person is supposed to do. I thought about moving to Costa Rica, the Philippines, or somewhere else exotic.

Thankfully, the decision was made for me as I had acquired 1/2 of a fledgling restoration company in Feb of 2013. Its best year prior was $1 mil (16 years in business). We rebranded, restructured, and began adding a corporate feel to it. Training, Training, Training and more Training. From March 1- Dec 31st 2013 we did $1.6 mil. A good start….

As I planned my exodus from carpet cleaning, I decided I would throw myself into the restoration company full time. I am pleased to say that we are closing 2014 with 3.6 mil in sales. $200k off target but still not bad. I still blame the ice storms for that variance ( lol). I wish I could take all the credit but it was a combined effort of my partner and I working like hell to set a standard.

I am working tirelessly to shrug off the cloak of “bait and switch” which I wore for many years as a coupon carpet cleaner. Here is my baseline:

1. I will NEVER use SUBs to clean anything again! EVER!

2. I will NEVER own a transactional based business again. Relational is the ONLY way to go.

3. I will ALWAYS take the side of the customer.

4. I will Over-compensate the GREAT and fire the rest

5. Customer Satisfaction outweighs PROFIT MARGIN ( that one still makes me sick to my stomach but it is necessary lol)

Why am I posting this? That’s where you guys come in. I welcome advice! Any and all advice. I greatly wish Ken were still around………

steve_64

i need to get back to fishing this year. i got a couple future son in laws i need to teach how to clean fish.
the flooring in the boat has rotted (dads old boat) and i sure miss being on the water.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have a question if you are willing to answer. Why did you bail on the new identity of you're carpet cleaning business so quickly? You seemed super gung ho about going "legit" and it seemed like that ended pretty quick. Either way good luck in 2015.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My only suggestion is to enjoy the ride a little more this time. Play hooky once in a while.
Cant take it with ya.

Curious why you couldnt sell your last business?
For anything?

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
Marcus
Did water damage when I first started carpet cleaning to get up and running...
Then did carpet and water damage....Got burned out in 2-3 years...now just do carpet cleaning
It's best just to focus on one or the other......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Did water damage when I first started carpet cleaning to get up and running...
Then did carpet and water damage....Got burned out in 2-3 years...now just do carpet cleaning
It's best just to focus on one or the other......
That's tough go until you get to a point that the responsibility is spread amongst the staff.

We have a 5-week rotation a supervisor takes the call and a crew consisting of a crew leader & assistant process the calls for a week. Multiple calls at the same time are handled by giving a sizable backup bonus to those responding. It works pretty smoothly, its only taken several decades to get it to do so. :winky:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I have a question if you are willing to answer. Why did you bail on the new identity of you're carpet cleaning business so quickly? You seemed super gung ho about going "legit" and it seemed like that ended pretty quick. Either way good luck in 2015.
Wasn't worth it... I meant untraining everyone and basically dismantling the entire staff to achieve it . Wasn't worth it to me...

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
My only suggestion is to enjoy the ride a little more this time. Play hooky once in a while.
Cant take it with ya.

Curious why you couldnt sell your last business?
For anything?
Planning on it! Headed to the Phillipines for some R&R in either rev or March.
And if you ask my ex I belivee I enjoyed the ride a little too much before ! Lol

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I'd like to take a bit of credit for giving Greg Cole a conscious.

I feel the bait and switch beatings you took here and the connections you've made have saved you from eternal damnation.

Congratulations Greg! What an amazing success story you've posted.

But I would have gone fishing. Work sucks.
Thanks Mike!
It was actually economics that's changed it. But I'll let you beat your chest some. I did learn that a relational business was needed and what not to do by pouring over the success stories of many on here.
I announced our goal for 2015 today and everyone started clapping! Can't wait to hit it!

Reactions: Mikey P

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Welcome to the other side...I'm glad you are here. I don't think if you follow these you will be steered wrong.

I love all #1-5. We live our business by similar principals, mostly numbers 2 and 5. Honestly, if you do live by #5, you won't have to worry about that profit margin. You may take a hit a first (always those that need to test it to see if you do live by it), but once the word get's out that you do this....it will spread like wildfire and it will confirm you as a legit company that people will WANT to do business with.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
If you always take the side of the customer you alienate your staff. The customer is not always right.
That was sadly the way I used to think. My kudzu report for Pro are proof enough that it is a bad idea to think that way. Please the customer .Period. Go above and beyond! Then go a step further.
Staff can either get on board or make room for those that agree with your principles. I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE WIGGLE ROOM WHEN IT COMES TO CUSTOMERS SATISFACTION!

Today, I actually kicked out an entire wall of drywall that our guys had hung improperly ( forgot liquid nails). They were pissed but my message came across loud and clear!
If you let your people run the show you might as well start working for them. Work for the customer! You will feel so much better about yourself !

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you always take the side of the customer you alienate your staff. The customer is not always right.
True. Another truism is that the customer always lies, and documentation wouldn't be so critical if lies didn't get bigger when insurance losses are involved.

Greg,
Leave yourself some outs! Always, never and only are so Germanically inflexible!

1. I will NEVER use SUBs to clean anything again! EVER! "I will hire and train my own staff to do as much of the work as possible, and will find the best subcontractors that I can afford to do what I can't." More verbose, but words don't have to be tasty if you don't have to eat them.
2. I will NEVER own a transactional based business again. Relational is the ONLY way to go. Good aspiration in a service business, but do relationships trump the bottom line when working with the cold, dark heart of the insurance adjuster? Schmooze lightly and carry a big bat.
3. I will ALWAYS take the side of the customer. "I will always try to see issues from the customer's perspective" Weasel words give you latitude for judgment calls. (See: The Customer Always Lies.) Customer service isn't about rolling over to have your pockets picked after the job, it's about communications and setting expectations up front.
4. I will Over-compensate the GREAT and fire the rest. (I would need to stand with one foot up on a chair and look into the distance to say that):twisted: In the insurance company regulated restoration world I think you'll have to temper your definition of greatness, as true leadership is an exceedingly rare find. A team just needs engaged leadership and a crew of willing to be successful, so one or two GREATs is all you need.
5. Customer Satisfaction outweighs PROFIT MARGIN ( that one still makes me sick to my stomach but it is necessary lol) Good! Shaw Industries says that too. See, by not defining the amount of PROFIT MARGIN you still leaves room for a lot of profit!

You'll want to join the RIA if you haven't already. They're the guys that have the guys that have the answers. Go to their event this May in Vegas and unlike me, every person you meet will be able to give you actual helpful advice.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom