2015 Ford Transit Connect

I am planning on purchasing a new Ford Transit full size van in a few months. I wanted to start a thread to get some ideas on unique ways to set it up, customize it, and which model would be the best fit. As of now I am leaning towards the high roof long wheel base model. The extended version looks a little weird to me, but you get about a foot more space. The van has sliding doors on both the passenger and driver side. How would you occupy the space above your truck mount or would this just be wasted space. Also I would want to separate the cab from the cargo area.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I am planning on purchasing a new Ford Transit full size van in a few months. I wanted to start a thread to get some ideas on unique ways to set it up, customize it, and which model would be the best fit. As of now I am leaning towards the high roof long wheel base model. The extended version looks a little weird to me, but you get about a foot more space. The van has sliding doors on both the passenger and driver side. How would you occupy the space above your truck mount or would this just be wasted space. Also I would want to separate the cab from the cargo area.

Why not just elevate the tm on a metal platform and have pull out drawers underneath the whole thing.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The Transit connect doesn't come in a 'Full Size"-- Its Basically a Half Size van. Don't forget about the limited cargo weight capacity the van you choose. when the transit first came out I heard of an incident where a Slide in TM was installed in a transit and the frame of the Transit Cracked!!
People seem to forget that vehicles are limited to the amount of weight it can carry. Just because you have SPACE for more cargo doesn't mean you should carry more IF its more weight then it can SAFEY carry. This reminds me of the time when I had to put out a FIRE of an overloaded pickup truck with my Vortex. The guys tires got too hot from the weight and friction that the tires self ignited.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Full size transit should be out in 2015

Transit connect is the small van.

wow I just saw the ford transit website... That explains why the Mercedes Benz dealer just gave me a 'Great Deal" on a new 2013 dually Sprinter.. well my TMS are diesel so had to go with MB Sprinter any way..

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
wow I just saw the ford transit website... That explains why the Mercedes Benz dealer just gave me a 'Great Deal" on a new 2013 dually Sprinter.. well my TMS are diesel so had to go with MB Sprinter any way..

And the Transits are coming with diesels too...I hope you do more research on purchases like that because it sounds like you had no clue.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
People seem to forget that vehicles are limited to the amount of weight it can carry. Just because you have SPACE for more cargo, doesn't mean you should carry more,
IF its more weight then it can SAFEY carry.

The new vans that all the major truck manufacturers are importing . . .

will have less GVW ratings.

Cleaners will need to shave weight of their overall TM packages.

You will see more aluminum tank construction for lighter weight packages. Some progressive manufacturers already design 175 gal. tanks under the TM package:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=1269

Rotomolded shelves can go up as high as the stand-up vans allow, and already are cutting pounds from the system.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=1260

Lighter overall weights also translate to better fuel economy . . .

and more bottom line profit.

Larry

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell

You will see more aluminum tank construction for lighter weight packages. Some progressive manufacturers already design 175 gal. tanks under the TM package:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=1269

Rotomolded shelves can go up as high as the stand-up vans allow, and already are cutting pounds from the system.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=1260

Larry
Larry I know you worked hard to insert 3 links into this thread about the 2015 Ford Transit.

Did you know most next gen vans will be North American built? That the weight capacities will be more than enough for most any TM, just as they are now. There WILL be truck powered units for several of the new generation vans, after all, those weigh LESS than most slide ins.

I'm sure many of us have aluminum tanks...nothing novel there. However my stainless tank weighs even less, and lasts forever.

:-)

Chris A

Name
Chris

Larry

I couldn't find an exact number on the base Transit, but Ford claims over 5000 lbs payload for their top model. Please tell me again how you are not completely full of shit?:bullshit: I can't wait to see who makes the first direct drive for the Transit, I'm starting to get tired of my Chevy/CDS

Mikey P

Administrator
Tired of what Chris?

It's physical size?

I hear the Transits get lousy fuel economy once loaded up.

Mr Stewart/Papa John, are you coming to The Fest?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Tired of what Chris?

It's physical size?

I hear the Transits get lousy fuel economy once loaded up.

Mr Stewart/Papa John, are you coming to The Fest?

Ive just had the van a while, ready for something new. Theres nothing wrong with the setup and with 75k and 3700 hours Ive had minimal issues. The fuel economy with the 6.0 sucks though, always has.

Edit= the full size Transit is what Im referring to. Its not out yet but fuel economy should be very good since theyre using the same ecoboost from the f150

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The Sprinter van mfg. has said no PTO designs.

Here is a photo of newest ProMaster van chassis (FWD only):
View attachment 3960
Just let me know who is working on a PTO for it.

I like some of the new vans;

I just think it will economically impossible to have a PTO.

Larry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom