Name
Shawn Forsythe
Re: ACID RINSE FORMULATIONS

I tend towards 2-hydroxyacetic acid (glycolic) or sulfamic acid.

The glycolic acid is actually going to have some cleaning properties that ordinarily don't exist for the acidic component of a rinse agent.

p.s. 2-hydroxyacetic acid (glycolic acid) should not be confused with Acetic Acid (ethanoic acid), which has quite different properties.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

What Shawn said.

Jimmy: Are you going to run this acid through your truck mount or use it as a yellow eliminator/tannin spotter/dye stabilizer?

Name
Shawn Forsythe

In no particular order, Chemspec's All Fiber Textile Rinse, Interlink-BP Select Professional Neutralizing Rinse, Hydramaster's Clear Water Rinse are just a few that use Glycolic acid.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove

Daddy,

HM's CWR keeps your TM's innards and connections nice and shiny.

Smells great too.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Ethanol... :shock:

get your chemisty books out...Gentelmen.... :wink:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Glycolic acid gets me vote as well for the best chocie.

It should be noted that none of the products is simply acid. Some acid rinse products may add color, fragrance (not all acids smell great), surfactants for detergency, corrosion inhibitors, a small amount of mildecide (so nothing grows in the open containers) and so forth. Some encapsulants may also be added to help reduce wicking.

There is some science plus lots of trial and error to developing a great rinse product. It is not just pouring some acid in your 5 gallon stock jug.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

scottw said:
Glycolic acid gets me vote as well for the best chocie.

It should be noted that none of the products is simply acid. Some acid rinse products may add color, fragrance (not all acids smell great), surfactants for detergency, corrosion inhibitors, a small amount of mildecide (so nothing grows in the open containers) and so forth. Some encapsulants may also be added to help reduce wicking.

There is some science plus lots of trial and error to developing a great rinse product. It is not just pouring some acid in your 5 gallon stock jug.

You are my HERO..!!!!!!!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Daddy said:
I never meant my question to imply just pouring some acid into my jug but what is the best acid in the formulation.

You and I know that Jimmy, but some bathtub chemists have been known to frequent this site.

BTW - Did you ever get to try out the product I sent you?

Greenie

Interesting notes on Quats in the rinse or softening cycle. So maybe Les wasn't crazy by adding DD-12 to the TM rinse jug.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Greenie said:
Interesting notes on Quats in the rinse or softening cycle. So maybe Les wasn't crazy by adding DD-12 to the TM rinse jug.

Exactly.....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Do some tests on some carpet you can keep an eye on with that type of rinsing agent and let me know what you find.

Jose Smith

I have always preferred Chemspec's All Fiber Textile Rinse because of the Glycolic Acid (hydroxy acetic acid). It is also in Prochem's All Fiber Rinse, but for some odd reason they reduced the amount used a few years back. For some reason, I also prefer the fragrance of Chemspec's over others. It is also in their Commercial line of chemicals (called Neutralizer Rinse).

As far as browning removers/tannin spotters, I feel there are better choices. For a tannin spotter, I have always like sodium metabisulfite. For yellowing/browning remover on carpet, it depends on the source of the discoloration. I have never been a fan of Citric acid. I prefer either sulfamic or tartaric acids.

Jose Smith

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

Jose Smith said:
I have always preferred Chemspec's All Fiber Textile Rinse because of the Glycolic Acid (hydroxy acetic acid). It is also in Prochem's All Fiber Rinse, but for some odd reason they reduced the amount used a few years back. Jose Smith

I use Prochem's AFR, and according to their MSDS, they use citric acid (1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-).

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

HARPER said:
Greenie said:

Exactly.....

Of course we all know that fabric softeners and quaternary disinfectants will reduce the stain resistance and void the manufacturers warranty don't we?

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Art Kelley said:
HARPER said:
Greenie said:

Exactly.....

Of course we all know that fabric softeners and quaternary disinfectants will reduce the stain resistance and void the manufacturers warranty don't we?

Everything VOIDS....the manufacturers warranty..... :roll:

There is no right answer I chose citric Acid because it is a green product and because of it's spotting abilities. It is also used as a softening agent stops wicking and browning.

Jose Smith

I use Prochem's AFR, and according to their MSDS, they use citric acid (1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-).

I was told by a Prochem rep who I respect very much that the "2-hydroxy" in the ingredients is 2-hydroxy-acetic acid.

At one time, the MSDS stated 2-hydroxy-acetic acid as its major ingredient. When I noticed the change, he did say that they switched the chemistry of it, using more citric acid.

Jose Smith

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Shawn Forsythe said:
In no particular order, Chemspec's All Fiber Rinse, Interlink-BP Select Professional Neutralizing Rinse, Hydramaster's Clear Water Rinse are just a few that use Glycolic acid.

I used the Interlink All Fiber Rinse back when I was in Ohio. It rinsed well. We mixed it in a large stainless steel vat for consistancy. It ended up turning purple when it reacted with the metal, I sure hope they changed something since then!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

Shawn Forsythe said:
I tend towards 2-hydroxyacetic acid (glycolic) or sulfamic acid.

The glycolic acid is actually going to have some cleaning properties that ordinarily don't exist for the acidic component of a rinse agent.

p.s. 2-hydroxyacetic acid (glycolic acid) should not be confused with Acetic Acid (ethanoic acid), which has quite different properties.

It is my understanding that glycolic acid is just a highly concentrated Acetic Acid. Water down Glycolic and you have Acetic.

Name
Shawn Forsythe

ACE said:
It is my understanding that glycolic acid is just a highly concentrated Acetic Acid. Water down Glycolic and you have Acetic.

You don't change the formula of a chemical compound by dilution with water.

Acetic acid is no more dilute glycolic acid, than is water simply diluted hydrogen peroxide, or vice versa. By adding an additional oxygen atom to the molecule, the compound becomes wholly different.

Acetic Acid C2H4O2 (CH3-COOH); Glycolic Acid C2H4O3 (CH2OH-COOH)

One only has to take a whiff of acetic acid to know that it is radically different.
Acetic acid is quite pungent, Glycolic odorless. The confusion might be that Glacial acetic acid is a trivial name for water-free acetic acid. Glacial possibly being confused with the word glycolic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom