3 Blowers, 4 HX, a Pile of D/D Couplers, in 2100 HRS

I just pulled this unit out of a van and installed a TNT. The unit went through 3 blowers, 4 heat exchangers and a lot of direct drive couplings in 2100 hours.

We were considering converting this unit to a propane system, but I wanted to see why it went through 3 blowers in 2100 hours first. I started looking at the unit and I discovered a very small filter in the recovery tank for the blower.

This filter was too small, plus it had too fine of a screen. The second thing I discovered was that the vacuum relief system was not between the filter and the blower. It was located on the recovery tank before the filter. With the location of the relief valve, as the filter restricted air to the blower, the relief valve had no way of relieving the resistance.

This was causing the blower to run at extremely high temperatures and fail prematurely. I really don’t know why it went through 4 heat exchangers. I removed those to start with.

This unit is a Steam Action Nike. I thought I would put this post up in case any of you have one of these units. There are a few things that you need to do. The first thing I would do is remove the small filter all together. Then relocate your vacuum relief valve between the recovery tank and the blower. Always use an inline filter before the recovery tank.

In this photo you can see the amount of direct drive couplings that the machine used up. It is about an inch deep in chewed up rubber.

004-2.jpg

In this photo you can see just how hot the blower was getting. The oil in the gearbox is cooked.

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-3.jpg

When we removed the blower endplate the bearings just fell out.

007-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

One thing I like about the unit is that it has a very nice stainless steel frame.

006-2.jpg

The blower filter is located in the recovery tank. As you can see it is very small and restrictive.

001-5.jpg

002-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

One of the things I think needs to be added to all truck mounts is a temperature gauge on the blower exhaust. This is the best indicator to let you know if there is an issue with your blower.

Scott drove down from Michigan to get his unit. His van was hand painted. You don’t see hand lettering much these days.

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Scott ended up buying the bling bling TNT.

013-1.jpg

Hopefully this will prevent somebody from having future problems. Remember to check and clean your recovery tank filter on a regular basis.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i had an old steamaction tank....and yea the blower filters are small....come to think of it the relief is on the tank :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had my tanked Y so i was pulling from 2 2" holes.....

Heres the funny thing....

That guy couldnt tell he was having vac issues??? wtf???

I could tell every time i forgot to check my filter...both from sound "bogging" and from feel..."no grab"

hummm

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Good reminder. I'm going to clean my blower filter this morning. I haven't cleaned it in months.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Re: Re: 3 Blowers, 4 HX, a Pile of D/D Couplers, in 2100 HRS

floorguy said:
i had an old steamaction tank....and yea the blower filters are small....come to think of it the relief is on the tank :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had my tanked Y so i was pulling from 2 2" holes.....

Heres the funny thing....

That guy couldnt tell he was having vac issues??? wtf???

I could tell every time i forgot to check my filter...both from sound "bogging" and from feel..."no grab"

hummm
I can always tell from sound or feel during a job. U are right

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I once bought a Steam Action Truckmount that had 300 hours on it for $1200 from a guy that claimed it had very little vacuum power.

...you guessed it. Replaced that tiny vac filter with a sizable one and all was well.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'd like to see a pic of that beautiful machine in 2 years. I fear it is going to look the same as that van by then. Or did it take him 10 years to get to 2100 hours?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
KevinD said:
I once bought a Steam Action Truckmount that had 300 hours on it for $1200 from a guy that claimed it had very little vacuum power.

...you guessed it. Replaced that tiny vac filter with a sizable one and all was well.

how in the hell did you replace it??? I tried a few but daymn...they leave you NO room to put "normal" ones on....

no matter the tank started getting pock marks alllll over....it served its purpose though

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
floorguy said:
KevinD said:

how in the hell did you replace it??? I tried a few but daymn...they leave you NO room to put "normal" ones on....

no matter the tank started getting pock marks alllll over....it served its purpose though

I left out the part about the plasma cutter, hole saw and welder.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
KevinD said:
floorguy said:
KevinD said:

I left out the part about the plasma cutter, hole saw and welder.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom