45 blower making a racket

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Hey Guys, I havent been around in a while. I have a 45 blower making a screaming squealing sound and the blower oil is backing out of the top of the sight tube on the back of the blower. Any ideas? I assume its shot huh?

TimP

I'm not a blower expert but it may just be a seal/gasket if you're lucky. But it doesn't sound good if it's not something simple like that.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i've had them rattle like a can of marbles.........you need a real good blower flush before you let it sit too long...it WILL get soap stuck and not move next.....
RINSE that sucker out with clear water outta garden hose while running......it usually will bring them back
what can you lose........

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
SRI Cleaning said:
the blower oil is backing out of the top of the sight tube on the back of the blower.

Tony, clarify what "backing out of the top of the sight tube" means.

is it leaking from there???

clean the blower as Bob mentioned.
then do this;

drain the oil, put in fresh 90wt GEAR LUBE...yes, gear lube..you'll find it at any auto parts store.
If you've been running synthetic blower oil, buy synthetic gear lube.
if you've been using petroleum based blower oil, use petro based (non synthetic) gear oil.

don't over fill the gear box.
If it's a Roots 45 it will use 22 oz of gear lube if mounted horizontally .
if vertical mounted, it uses MUCH less... I "think" 8 or ten ounces
grease the bearings and go clean carpets .

Find another blower to keep on hand for when (if) the blower finally dies

..L.T.A.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
if the bearings are going it will make quite a racket. if fresh grease gives temporary noise reduction you have your culprit.

gene

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Hey thanks guys, I am gonna try all of your suggestions. Yes larry, there is a site tube thats about 5 inches tall on the bottom of the blower, as its running, the oil is actually coming out of a vent in the top of that tube. I am going to check the other vent, and try flushing it. I will also try greasing it again and see what happens.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I had a real loud squeal that would happen sporatically. Turned out the blower was loose. It is a belt driven blower and it was the belts screaming. Does'nt sound like it's it but I thought I'd mention it.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom