4PM Tornado

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
At about 4PM today at our warehouse the emergency weather alerts started blowing up our cell phones. There was a tornado warning in our area. A few minutes later the power went out. A few minutes after that there were tons of fire-engine and ambulance sirens that lasted for about half-hour. I'm relieved to say, the tornado missed us. But it touched down about a mile away. It tore up an industrial park that we had actually considered moving our business into a couple of years ago. Then it went east across the county, across Tampa Bay, and into the Tampa area, and finally veered into Polk county. The news said the tornado lasted 2 hours and traveled about 50 miles before it died out. It was a big one for Florida. I feel bad for all the homes and businesses that were damaged. Fortunately, no one was killed or seriously injured.

The section on the outage map that shows 11K is centered directly where our business is located.
IMG_0023.jpeg

randy

Name
Randy
Glad you guys are ok, Rick. Definitely thankful you weren't in that other industrial park. Someone was looking out for you. I think you know who.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
So glad we don’t have to deal with that nonsense here. Glad your safew

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Thanks guys

We were trying to figure out how we could squeeze into the cab of the forklift. With its weight and overhead guard, it'd be the safest place in the warehouse. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Right! A tornado would just laugh at a forklift.

a mega F5 ripped thru the woods and into a little town a few miles east of home some time in the early 80's

the scar it left in the woods where it crossed the hiway was incredible in size and destruction.

a swath thru mature hardwoods 200ft wide and over half mile long was leveled .
the only thing standing more than a foot high , was 10-12 foot of the base trunk of a 500+ year old oak with 10ft diameter trunk

It was a surreal sight to see.

..L.T.A.

Reactions: encapman
Name
Doug B
That is so scary with no basement to take shelter.

Several years ago this tornado formed just above my house and then moved North before dropping.
Saw some passing through there as a kid on vacation. They were always far off, so my parents would point them out and just keep driving.

In 2001 we had one about 1/4 mile from my house. At first, there was debate whether it was a tornado or just a microburst. Took out a swath of trees two streets away. I was putting new shingles on my roof that day. Had to stop until after it blew by.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Glad you guys are all okay.

EF4 came through my area back in 2010 and left one heck of a path of destruction. It started by my son's great grandparent's house which is only about 15 minutes SW of my town and traveled NE. Didn't touch their house miraculously, but took the entire barn down to the block. Thankfully it wasn't being used to store anything anymore. It traveled a good 30 miles and destroyed Lake High School which is in another district and many homes.

22M-in-storm-claims-sum-passes-estimate-in-disaster-status-plea-2.jpg

Lake-High-school-tornado-year-later.jpg

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Turns out it was confirmed to be an EF 2 with 125 mph winds

I know, compared to Oklahoma and the midwest that's small potatoes. But for around here it was a good size twister.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom