5 or 6 grand on a used van

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I'm looking to buy a used van next month. Looking to spend around 5 or 6 thousand. I figure that price range puts me somewhere around year 2003-2004, and under 100,000 miles. I would appreciate all opinions.
Best engines?
Best drivetrains?
I am also interested in which vans to avoid. Thanks

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't think you can go wrong with a 6 Liter GM. I've seen lots of fleets running well past 200k

I have had a few and my favorite is my extended Chevy Express that is a 1 ton. If you are going to haul fresh water you will need the 1 ton. Unless you have a small light weight machine. It is very comfortable to drive. If I was going to get one for an employee to drive I would pick up a ford. My guy drives the ford E-250 with the V-6 in it. Gets great gas milage and is very durable too.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I don't really have a preference they all have worked fine for me. I would look for a single owner if possible and for signs of abuse.

Gene

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
hogjowl said:
I have a 2004 1 ton Chevrolet with less than 60,000 miles on it. It's a 3500 and it superior condition.

I'd laugh at you if you only offered me $6000.

Don't worry, I'm not interested in your van, it would cost too much in vanilla fragrance trees to cover the pig shit smell.

RickL

I'm certainly not a van expert but my 2003 Chevy Express has been perfect. No problems at all and still looks great.
One of the things I like best was the back bumper. I use a porty a lot on commercial t&g jobs that I couldn't reach with the tm. The bumper has a drop down in the center I can roll the porty up to it
tilt it back put the front on it, lift it,then move to the side and lift it about an inch into the van.
Drove and rode great

I can't make my mind up if I want to sell my gmc. I have probably put too much money in it (new drums, rotars, pads tune up, brand new tires). The van has 220,000 miles, has never given me any problems and runs great. If I got another van I would get a gmc savanna. I can easily see this van going strong another 100k miles.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ford E-250 Super Cargo
5.4 ltr V-8

Chevy has a little better ride, but Ford is a better truck over all and gets better fuel mileage too ...if it's the Triton engine and not the 5 or 5.8 ltr..which are good engines BTW, but don't get near the fuel mileage of the Triton

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
RickL said:
One of the things I like best was the back bumper. I use a porty a lot on commercial t&g jobs that I couldn't reach with the tm. The bumper has a drop down in the center I can roll the porty up to it tilt it back put the front on it, lift it,then move to the side and lift it about an inch into the van.

Good point. I will be starting with a porty, that could be a valuable feature.
What engine do you have in it?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
meAt said:
goomes said:
I will be starting with a porty,

hell, you can buy 1/2 ton van then.
an even bigger market with LOTS more available to choose from
and less expensive to boot

..l.T.A.

If a 1/2 ton van can handle a Mytee M-5, generator, H3 heater, 175, and all the other smaller accessories, then I guess a 1/2 ton will do. Honestly, I never shopped a van before. To start, I'm not going to be hauling any waste or supply water yet.
What would be some of these other choices you mention?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I bought a used 1 ton chevy express in may of last year with 98,000 miles on it. for 7 grand perfect condition. the back was barely even used. Bought it from express foods. Before i gota tm put in it, I raced a mustang and blew the doors off of it. the 6.0 v8 goes

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
goomes said:
If a 1/2 ton van can handle a Mytee M-5, generator, H3 heater, 175, and all the other smaller accessories, then I guess a 1/2 ton will do. Honestly, I never shopped a van before. To start, I'm not going to be hauling any waste or supply water yet.
What would be some of these other choices you mention?

a 1/2 ton van will carry that load with ease.

the 1/2 ton, 3/4 and 1 ton aren't the weight they can carry.
they can all carry much more than that.

a 1/2 ton van will actually carry a payload in excess of 1500 pounds or more

The "other choices" I was referring to, is that there's simply more 1/2 ton vans than 3/4 or one tons around in good shape .
more to choose from, and generally less money too

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
So, same van models, different weight ratings, more 1/2 tons out there. I get it.
Any personal preference? GMC, Chevy, or Ford?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
goomes said:
So, same van models, different weight ratings, more 1/2 tons out there. I get it.
Any personal preference? GMC, Chevy, or Ford?

I'm a Ford guy, Frank
I think they build a better, more solid truck overall
(a van is a truck too, BTW)

I'm not "anti" Chevy/GMC though.
If the price was right, I'd consider one.
but "I'd" be looking for a Ford first

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Back when I first started, I used to buy used Ford vans out of the Kinder Kare fleet. They were 6 cylindar 1/2 ton vans that ran forever. I loved them, but they were too light duty to mount a TM in. Since purchasing my first TM, I have always ran Cheverolets, but that's only because the local Chevy dealer is a friend and a good customer.

Either one, in my book is fine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
go easy on the Ford V-8 if you do buy it, I've heard a lot of pick up guys blowing them up early...

RickL

goomes said:
RickL said:
One of the things I like best was the back bumper. I use a porty a lot on commercial t&g jobs that I couldn't reach with the tm. The bumper has a drop down in the center I can roll the porty up to it tilt it back put the front on it, lift it,then move to the side and lift it about an inch into the van.

Good point. I will be starting with a porty, that could be a valuable feature.
What engine do you have in it?

The 5.3 L V8 never a problem. Some are advising you to get the bare minimum van to serve your purpose now. This is a mistake I made when getting into the business buying bare minimum stuff and adding to it which resulted in inferior equipment with stuff hanging all over the place, genorators,heaters tanks,etc and not heavy duty, finally chucking it all and getting set up right. So keep the next step up in mind without accumulating to much debt.

Name
George Valliant
if you buy Ford the dog house doubles as a laptop mount (bungee cord not included).

If you go Government Motors you'll need a seperate floor mount pedistool.

4 wheel disc brakes would be most important to me!!!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
if you buy Ford the dog house doubles as a laptop mount

I do like Ford's CDS install better, they actually leave cupholders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom