55 days to dry.

Connor

Name
Connor
I sent a referral to a WDR contractor. 2nd floor water heater leaked and some water escaped the pan. It wet the subfloor under the water heater, subfloor in the adjacent bedroom, and down the wall into the den. The customer had no idea that the leak was going on. They called me when they had no hot water. Customer called me today and told me they have a bill from the WDR contractor for 55 days of drying.. YES, FIFTY FIVE DAYS. The insurance company is paying the original estimate of 9k, but there is still 30k that is not being covered. I’d like a hint of what I am missing. I have been WDR certified and cannot comprehend why it took 55 days. Attached is a pic of the subfloor after the water heater and pan were removed. There are two layer of plywood involved. The darker part in the corner is a second layer that was cut-out around the hot water tank. Not sure why, but that’s how it’s built. You can see on the drywall that there is a little wet spot from some fiberglass insulation that was hanging out of the pan and wicked water over onto the floor and wall.

8577C1F3-A14A-4AE1-B153-F9CBAA7628E9.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Nomad74

Connor

Name
Connor
Why did they not remove it? It would have been cheaper to replace than dry. There better be some extenuating circumstances because that's beyond ridiculous.
I have no idea. From what the customer tells me, they had two dehu’s and two air scrubbers on the job. I’ve been waiting to go back to do the plumbing work after the structure was restored. The customer just called me today. It was the end of November when the loss was found. If there are shenanigans, I’m not sending them any more referrals. I’m hoping that I’m missing something.

Last edited:

Connor

Name
Connor
It took 55 days because it’s a crooked contractor making our industry look bad. I have a good buddy who’s an honest adjuster and he tells me about these stories all the time.
I’m disappointed to get that call from the customer. I had no idea that this was going on. I know they aren’t liked by some of the adjusters because they are expensive. In 55 days that place would have dried out on it’s own.

Connor

Name
Connor
If you’d put that water heater in correctly none of this would have happened
Oh, I see ol’ boar taint is still around.
That heater was installed correctly by the last gentleman. It was just worn out.

Reactions: hogjowl

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think Porkfritter is probably right for the reason. The source whatever the source was, it was still wetting the material and they continued to get a wet reading.

I would think after 3-4 days there should have been more investigation as to why it wasn't drying.

After a week it should have been removed for more cost effective replacement of materials.

Last edited:

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Have their attorney write a letter using the words negligence and incompetence or substantiate the added cost and why. Any competent professional should be able to explain what they did.

Reactions: royalkid and Connor

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I have no idea. From what the customer tells me, they had two dehu’s and two air scrubbers on the job. I’ve been waiting to go back to do the plumbing work after the structure was restored. The customer just called me today. It was the end of November when the loss was found. If there are shenanigans, I’m not sending them any more referrals. I’m hoping that I’m missing something.
55 days would be a toss up between Shenanigans or Incompetence.

Reactions: Connor

Connor

Name
Connor
I think Porkfritter is probably right for the reason. The source whatever the source was, it was still wetting the material and they continued to get a wet reading.

I would think after 3-4 days there should have been more investigation as to why it wasn't drying.

After a week it should have been removed for more cost effective replacement of materials.
The water heater was removed the day it was found. Lines were capped, and the drying began.

Connor

Name
Connor
I vote incompetence. Not only that, they had to be ignorant to invoice for 55 days of drying.
I was out today. I asked the customer today what the WDR company had to say about the bill. he told me that he has only spoken to the technician on the job and to the lady that answers their phone. When he asked to speak to the boss, the office lady told him that he “should get with the adjuster about getting more money before it goes to that level”. I gave him the owners cell number. This is preposterous.

Chavez, you should open up here, I can send you a ton of work. (We have donuts)

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Even when you are talking very wet members with deeply bound water, wet like you could wring water out of them, 5-7 days. And that's even if it's class 3.

This sounds to me like class 2, maybe even class 1. Properly chambered, correct PPD & air movement - this is a 3 day MAYBE 4-5 day dry in a loose envelope.

We are drying class 3's (in place drying) in 3 days, all day. I think 9-10 out of 250 last year went past 3 into a 4th day. Maybe 4-5 into a 5th. (Excluding class 4's)

I'm voting scam/shenanigans. Nobody is that incompetent.

Ask for FULL dry logs for every day they are charging.

Exterior T/rH/GPP
Chamber T/rH/GPP
Dehu T/rH/GPP
Unaffected T/rH/GPP

Then material M/C readings. A dry point for each affected material in every room.

55 of all of the above. Any day you have equipment in place, drying, accruing charges - you are to be taking readings to justify the charges. Period.

A skilled reviewer can call out fabricated DL's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom