8 hours weekend extraction!!

Name
John
Had a loss in a education building under construction..heavy rains caused a breach in a wall and they couldn't get it stopped... Needless to say we spent 8 hours extracting water to contain it for them... What would you charge for that?? Obviously hourly... 125-150 an hour?? We charge by the sq ft normally...it was a Saturday..
We'll make a couple grand off drying equipment just trying to figure out extraction time. Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You could always charge $90.00-$100.00 an hours and then labor hours for the tech or tech's.

Or by the sq/ft with an emergency surcharge because it was weekend.

Name
John
Well it was only me on the job...and it was only about 200 sq ft but water was contintineous until got it stopped.. So I just kept extracting as it came in.. They already will probably complain about the 189 emergency service fee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You said enough to make me nervous. :errf:

Lots of red flags, construction companies rarely value our services. They also haven't a clue about rates and when you're stuck at a job like that we let them know how much an hours its costing them. The last one like that sent us packing until the water quit coming in and the called us back for final extraction and drying.

What was their expectations? Have you done work for them in the past? Do they have an idea of your emergency rates?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I guess I jinxed myself we had one similar to what you're describing last night.

Those guys had three losses yesterday (basement hot water heater, muti floor pipe break, and a drain that continued to back up in a commercial facility) and got to the last one around 4:00 pm and not back until 10:00pm last night. Luckily we do work for this entity 5-6 times a year so they are familiar with our rates. But John you were the first person I thought of when I came in this AM.

Name
Marcus
I am supposing you are using a truckmount to extract...
I guess you have to figure what you make on the entire job with drying equipment.
I know when I was doing water restoration I had a flood job in a basement and used a portable with a pumpout...they weren't happy with me charging 100-150$ an hour for a portable, but I believe if I had pulled up with a truckmount they would have been ok with it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We occassionally use flood pumpers and if you're serious about WDR you really need to have one.

However legitimately a TM should be charged at a higher rate. Its a much larger investment than a portable. It requires on going maintenance, fuel to operate it and replacement components are far more than a couple of lamb blowers.

Heck you can pay for some cheap flood pumps with 8-10 hours extraction. You can't even buy a vac blower for a TM for that.

Name
Marcus
A truckmount with a zipper would have incredible dry times...
Didn't have the zipper when i was doing wdr.
Appearance is everything... If they see you come in and role an extractor and plug into the wall, they figur they can do that themselves, but not a truckmount.....
With these larger truckmount should be able to dry carpet and pad quickly, throw down some fans and a dehu and be on to your next job, baseboards and drywall is another deal, but I am taking an estimated guess that with a truckmount and zipper you will get close to a 24 hour dry time on carpet.
They used to tell me when I was training the 1 st day they love you the 2 nd day they like you the 3 rd day they won't you out!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
but I am taking an estimated guess that with a truckmount and zipper you will get close to a 24 hour dry time on carpet.
Whoa there cowboy, lets not get crazy! Unless you're talking about CGD I can't see it.

A Rover or Xtreme extractor will get more out of carpet & cushion and even with the weight of the rider aiding in extraction I wouldn't bet and expect to win a 24-dry every time.

Name
Marcus
Maybe 24 hours is a stretch but may have more to do with the truckmount...
I am thinking with at least a 35 hp and 4.5 blower.....
I have noticed most wdr guys don't put much $$ in a truckmount......
Wouldn't cost mega $$$ to get a tm for wdr ...saw a tm on steambrite
With 40 hp and 4.7 blower and pumpout for 10 k $$
If I went back to wdr. I definitely wouldn't be doing any pad replacement accept for black water.....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Carpet and all easy water is usually dry first day or 24 hours, but that's why it's called easy water. The bound or hard water is what makes our job fun and keeps it Interesting.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was at one of Chuck Dewalts classes and we were extracting CGD in his garage. We were running late and he told us to wind it up.

We said we still had half the room to extract and he said just leave it. He told us it will dry and said leave it and see.

We went in the next day and sure enough the area was as dry as the extracted area. :eekk: :lol:

Now I would not suggest doing it, this was his test house and he knew how well it dried and how thin the carpet backing was. We also had plenty of equipment running and it was in a small space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom