A 1/4 " Hole?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Went out to the Genesis on Monday to start her up, was going to do a quick cleaning on my dog's favorite "pee" spot in the dining room. Now with this old Genny(2003), if it doesn't start on the very first turn, I gotta use a little starting spray. Well, I missed the first "kick", and had to revert to the spray. Had a small backfire, then 5 minutes to get her started. When it did start, it ran really ruff.....had to keep full choke on to keep her running. Figured maybe new plugs? Changed them, and the same. Now I'm frustrated....ready to run out and buy a new TM. I got back into the truck, started just looking things over....maybe bad plug wires? Loose wires? Nah.....after just sitting and staring at the motor for about 5 minutes, I spot a hole in the intake manifold? Stick a screwdriver in the hole, it goes all the way in. That ain't right. Went into the shop and checked out my older parts Genesis, and sure enough, there was a plastic plunger that fit in that hole. Popped it out of the old machine, popped it into the '03, and she started right up and purrrrred away.

So.....if you suddenly have a ruff running motor, check for air leaks....vacuum leaks. Something so simple can make for a bad day.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
What engine mfg. would stick a plastic plug in the intake manifold ??

As soon as it gets hot or backfires,

it will be gone again.

Larry

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

it will be gone again.

Larry

Well, Larry....that would be Powerclean, or Ford. I think there was another use for that hole in other applications, but PC didn't need it, hence the plug. I thought at first it was some kind of sensor hole, and was looking for a wire with some sensor hanging off it. But, it isn't used on the Genny app.

Well, Larry....that would be Powerclean, or Ford. I think there was another use for that hole in other applications, but PC didn't need it, hence the plug. I thought at first it was some kind of sensor hole, and was looking for a wire with some sensor hanging off it. But, it isn't used on the Genny app.

Actually it is a sliding plug within a sleeve. I have no idea what it's used for.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

it will be gone again.

Larry

Actually, Larry.......that plug went 10+ years before it finally popped out. I'm thinking it was an extra port for a vacuum connection for another application. This engine is popular in power sweepers, wood chippers, etc.......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Older Genesis on Ebay

Last week there was an older Genesis 59 on Ebay. The time expired on it, and I don't think it sold. Anyone know who this seller was? It was located in Kansas. You can't directly contact the seller on Ebay, from what I see. He responded to me, but it was through Ebay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom