A ? about bigger blowers and your water usage

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I would like to ask because I am kinda stumped.
I have been working with my PC LEGEND for years now and filling the waste tank is not a problem, now I have been using my VWTM on a lot of my jobs lately and I am really shocked at how little water I am going through when I dump.
I have noticed that with my legend I am doing more wet forward and wet back followed by dry passes to get the carpet clean.
With the vwtm it seems to only take a wet back pass to get the carpet looking great ???? Is this due to the power of more airflow and suction? Is this what guys talk about when they say the power of bigger blowers?
I am not kidding when I say the carpet looks fluffy, it looks as though I have groomed it with a rake after I am done with the room, with the Legend the fibers are kinda stuck together after cleaning so I groom it but with the VWTM the carpet is just standing up I think it may look worse if I groomed it.
So if any of you have had a smaller TM and then went to bigger one did you notice anything like this?
I did to apartments today side by side and they looked amazing but when I dumped I was kinda shocked at how little water was in the tank...LIFT is not the issue I can hardly move the dang wand, I have it set and I am sitting at 13HGS all the time with the wand on the carpet it does not come down from there, with my Legend it goes between 9-11 it just can't pull enough air to keep the lift up on multi level carpet, the vwtm doesn't care.
I would like to know thanks

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I did a repeat customer this week and used the vwtm. The next day she sent my wife a email and said the carpets looked amazing, better than the first time. She said the carpet is 15 years old (off white) she said they were very happy with our first cleaning that's why they had us come out again, but this time the carpet looked like NEW. She just was so super happy with the job.
The only thing different was the TM I used the same chems as last time. Now when I dumped the water into the drain out it was a fair amount but it was 1100 sf of carpet, but if I would have cleaned with Legend I know my tank would have needed to be emptied more than likely it would have filled and shut me down to dump.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Does your Prochem unit bypass water into the waste tank? Could be most of the water in the tank never saw carpet.

Ofer,
Real mechanics don't trust engines that don't leak oil. Just ain't natural. Tom couldn't bond with his Prochem unit so built his own, and had to use VW power because he couldn't get his hands on a running British engine. :smile:

(Owners of air cooled VWs don't change oil, they add it. It changes itself.)

Reactions: TConway

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
No the PC isn't dumping water, I did check that in fact not long ago I put new thermal v just for that reason but its not doing it now.
I may have the only vw that runs a radiator
IMG_20140601_190242_301_zps1fb837f5.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lets see: Sucked less, looked better.

Could it be that with all the added experience, you're just a better cleaner now than you were a year ago?

MB has its benefits.

And I say this now, before the VLM'ers abduct this thread, as the final nail in the coffin (type of proof) of VLM being ZZZZZZZZZ best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Thomas;

It is obvious from your post . . .

VWTM - 13HGS all the time with the wand on the carpet it does not come down from there, with my Legend it goes between 9-11 it just can't pull enough air

Higher lift is allowing you to clean better with fewer passes.

We are big believers in higher lift - 17" hg. (which generates more CFM).

Larry

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Thomas;

It is obvious from your post . . .

Higher lift is allowing you to clean better with fewer passes.

We are big believers in higher lift - 17" hg. (which generates more CFM).

Larry

What TM are you getting 17 and maintaining that at the carpet? That is a lot to move makes my shoulder hurt thinking about it.

But really I would like to know if anyone that went from a smaller blower to 5+ blower noticed using less water???? If this is the case I can see why some of the guys that have talked about massive flow are able to do it, I tried with my Legend but it seemed to leave the carpet too wet.
This is why I was asking thinking about setting up my evo wand with high flow if I can get some info.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Better suck doesn't equal less water in your recovery tank, so either you're putting down less water to begin with, the water is going somewhere other than your waste tank, or water is getting into your Legend tank somehow.

Have you noticed water or water vapor from your VWTM blower exhaust? Maybe your extreme vacuum set-up isn't allowing as much water to drop out of the airflow.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
More vacuum making the carpet look cleaner and you use less water? :eekk:

I wouldn't think so.

Hotter water, high flow, yes I could see that but just because you have better vacuum. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the carpet looking cleaner.

I also agree with The Great Oz, I think your Legend was bypassing water. Even a new thermal valve you can still bypass water if the temp solonoid isn't seating correctly due to some scale or debris.

If you actually used that little water, I'd question how effective your cleaning really was.

Is there possibly a vac preheater leaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dealtimeman

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Something is definitely wrong. You should check and compare how many gallons of fresh used to how many gallons of waste recovered and see if you have a problem.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
No what I am trying to say is IT SEEMS THAT I AM HAVING TO USE LESS WATER COMPARED TO MY LEGEND. I was just wondering if this is normal for bigger blower machines. The amount of sand and debris I am getting is more noticeable also.
So what I should say is with legend one two maybe three wet passes where the vw seems to do it in one, two for sure.
Just shocked me is all. My cleaning times seem to be faster too, not that I am cutting corners,but I am finishing quicker.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Well I went from a legend se 4.5 blower 14hg ATM to a 405 and 4.7 blower 13hg ATM

I noticed better dry times and easier to clean not so much because of the better vacuum a good open faced wand without a glide or slotted glide will get you good pile lifting if your suck is there.

But I got better results because more consistent heat.

Back then I used the same 2 inch hose all the way.

Now I have two 7 foot 2 inch hose's into a filter going to 2.5 inch hose for 50 ft and then dropping to 40 ft of 2 inch hose. Great dry times using a 12 flow PC ti, but I carry 6 fans to.

I recently switched from a hybrid to a slotted glide and ya the pile is really standing up great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Theres a funnel your supposed to use to get a true CFM reading the little fan gauge

right to the hose is a faulty reading!

There's no machine out there puling 650 cfm out a 2 inch hose on a run that long.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thats more like it, thats a huge amount of suck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom