A BIG " THANKS" to the Vortex and Aerotech Owners.

charlie brown

:( For all the helpful information you guys came up with on my "Big Trucks" 6008 User post. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Scott Rogers

Original question.
"Do your 6008's have spring loaded grease relief fittings, or fittings with a weep hole? Last week I had to replace My 6008 because the grease was leaking in to the vacuum chamber. I real pita to clean out. I feel like the spring loaded relief fittings caused this. This unit was only 4.5 years old. What type of grease relief fittings came on yours? Thanks CB"

Surely you guys with the 68 blower V and AreoTech's can take ten minutes to check your blowers and answer the mans question. Charlie is one of the good guys!!

Greenie

Maybe they read right over the post like I did?

I've only ever seen normal zirk fittings, wtf is a spring loaded zirk?
And how exactly does it differ, and more importantly why would that cause blower failure?

Scott Rogers

I think he feels the spring loaded relief fitting failed to release the pressure as the grease heated causing a seal failure.

charlie brown

A BIG " THANKS" to the Vortex and Aerotech Owners

Jeff, Scott has it right. I have only owned 3 blowers in my short career. A 47, 68 and 6008. The 47 and 68, had and have plugs with a HOLE drilled in them to release the grease when it's running at speed and temp. The 6008 has a fitting with a spring loaded plunger to release the grease at a specific pressure. I had removed them and cleaned them ( they weren't plugged up) when I realized grease was not being released (I was wondering, where is the grease going). No mess to clean-up, nice but not good. The grease was bypassing the shaft seals and building up in the chamber. My guess is that on one cold day the blower was just not going to turn do to the build up. So I pulled it and replaced it with my rebuilt 68. This is going to cost around a Grand, plus down time. I will have them replace bearings also. The blower was only in service 4.5 years.
I was curious if all 6008's have these and if anyone else has experienced this problem. My thought is to replace relief side with hose barbs and clear plastic tubes, that will go into a can and catch the expelled grease. Voila: no more mess and hopefully no more seal problems. CB. PS I post this knowing Marty will not be reading it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom