A day at the beach

hogjowl

Idiot™
I got up early this morning so that I could get out of the condo and down to the beach and "enjoy" the early morning air and the ocean. The sky to the east was red white and blue with the morning sun rise, the sea gulls were fishing and the dolphins were swimming just off shore. And old lady walked past me and said good morning and asked if there was anything in life I would rather be doing.

And I swear to God I said to myself, "yeah, I'd rather be home working".

I am always happiest when working. :hopeless:

Reactions: Art Kelley

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Honestly if I take a 3 day weekend up in Mammoth I get itchy the 2nd day and want to go home.

I hate the work love the money and the people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mikey P

Administrator
Seriously?

I just got home from 14 days of sitting on the sand, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and my only complain was it was real hard to be 5 hours behind Chavez. I don't know how Nate does it.

Marty, you sound like one of those old guys I see who retires, follows his wife around to her beauty appointments and grocery shopping for three months then dies of boredom.

I could spend the rest of my life riding bikes, growing vegetables, petting my chickens, reading and watching hockey.

and bird watching..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV4GGvpwEAw

Becker

Name
Becker
Clearly that nene knows it is protected.

Where there turkeys on the grounds also?

On the big island we wake to turkeys and nene ( and golfers every am. )

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't think I will ever be one of those dudes who follows his wife to Walmart and sits on the bench while she shops, but I DO make myself do some things she wants to do, on occasion, to make her happy. Like going to the beach ... I don't ever see myself fully retiring, but I will eventually get to the point where I back off and do a few different things that I want to do.

Reactions: Shorty

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'm with you Marty. I love being in the game, but I am getting shockingly old. Like you I bought a piece of a beach to put a couple of Adirondack chairs and stare at the water for a few days. After a short while of that and watching some dvds I'm ready to get back to work. When I look at my retired customers and what it does to them, the muscle atrophy, the obesity, the heart attacks and strokes, the dementia. the alcoholism, the talking to the walls etc, it scares me. I like being the action man. The hardest part is getting out of bed at six, but once I'm up and caffeinated I'm ready to kickass.

Mike Draper

one swift chop and that thing would be dinner. I love my job, I love working everyday and I love the people, but If I had a way to more more money and spend more time with my family, I'd quit tomorrow without hesitation and never look back.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I just got home from 14 days of sitting on the sand, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking . . .

I could spend the rest of my life riding bikes, growing vegetables, petting my chickens, reading and watching hockey.

and bird watching..

Kauai . . . that brings back some memories . . .

Ray and I took our wives on an all-day hike there to see a majestic waterfall.

[SIZE=-1](Hanakapi'ai Falls spectacular falls on the North Shore - [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] It's an 8 mile round trip which is a good distance to travel, so bring plenty of water and something to snack on. Once at the falls, should you decide to swim under the falls, * WATCH OUT for falling rocks! This is a strenuous 6 hour hike.)[/SIZE]

We hiked the dusty, rocky trail to the waterfall, and were enjoying the water spray at the bottom of the falls.

Suddenly, the water volume increased dramatically like somebody opened a floodgate,

probably due to the summit being the wettest spot on earth (534" annual rainfall).

We realized we were in trouble . . .

since we crossed a small stream three times in our several hour hike.

Now it was becoming a raging river.

We made it across the first crossing by using tree branches for support over the rocks.

The second crossing was more difficult, and we got soaked.

The third crossing was now a fast moving river challenge.

Ray took off his backpack and went upstream a good distance.

He dove in and made it across.

The wives went next, after leaving the 2nd remaining backpack.

That left me to cross with two backpacks w/cameras for added excitement.

I went further upstream, and jumped in.

I struggled to get across to Ray who was laying on a large boulder with his hand stretched out.

I was tired & relieved to reach his extended hand.

Unfortunately, I pulled him off the boulder and back into the current.

We struggled down the waterway another 20 yards or so, and finally got back to the shore.

After we finished up the hike to the ocean, Ray and I waded into the fast-moving water to see if we could stand up at all.

Wading out to about 2 feet of water, the water flow knocked both of us down immediately.

Only then, did we understand the massive power of the rushing water.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I just returned from the Smoky Mts, my favorite place. I am more of a mountain person than a beach person, although January and February in Florida would be just fine. I don't see myself retiring, and I hit the magic age next month. Nick is 78 and he sure isn't slowing down. If you don't believe me try following him around next week in Vegas.

Or you could follow the Island Boy and me as long as you don't mind going to bed at 830.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so am I the only one that is feeling sorry for all the other people at the beach seeing him walk around in a speedo.............

my god..the horror......

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Short of the income thingie and what it enables us, I'm with Mike. I'd retire in a heartbeat and would not miss the cleaning one bit.
Substitute the beach with the beautiful sierra foothills and I'd sit, enjoy the wife kids and pets, read, listen to my CD collection, grow vegetables/fruit trees and just mingle.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I went back to work today. 2 days off and knowing I have a few next week is enough for me. I would have been tinkering in the garage if I had,nd gone to work and I was home by 3 so it only felt like a 1/2 day.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I just got home from 14 days of sitting on the sand, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and my only complain was it was real hard to be 5 hours behind Chavez. I don't know how Nate does it.
:eekk:

Marty half naked......shit I feel cheerios backing up! :errf:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
No clue how you old geezers handle this type of work. Im beat at the end of the day. Maybe you guys just clean a living room and go home. Hopefully I can get to that point.

Golden Boy

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Becker dont consider u a old geezer. Only easy days I have is when I run into lightly soiled carpet. Which aint often. I think you clean a ton of clean carpet or you just tell your customers its wear areas and leave the soil.

Golden Boy

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I just returned from the Smoky Mts, my favorite place. I am more of a mountain person than a beach person, although January and February in Florida would be just fine. I don't see myself retiring, and I hit the magic age next month. Nick is 78 and he sure isn't slowing down. If you don't believe me try following him around next week in Vegas.

Or you could follow the Island Boy and me as long as you don't mind going to bed at 08:30.

Big Bill, just WHAT IS the Magic Age ??

Me 'n Guinness >>>>> :very_drunk:

PS::: I'm also too young to retire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Becker

Name
Becker
I'll admit Waldo. My avg job is simple lightly soiled jobs.

Lately though it seems if I have a nasty one requiring me to drag out the rx20 and turn up the power it has always been the last job of the day after a busy day in the heat of the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom