A few carpet repairs.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I can't remember the name for this product, its a deleted line from Cavalier Bremworth that I have worked on a number a times. One colour is a constant width and height tuft, the other totally varies in yarn thickness, and tuft dimensions.

This is a long term client, he set off a pest control bomb in his home, went out and came back after a few hours to this scorch mark.
IMG_7083.jpg

Cut out, edges sealed and tape set underneath.
IMG_7086.jpg

I had a long length of brand new off cut to play with, so I took my time trying to match the 5 varying rows as close as possible to get invisible work.
IMG_7089.jpg

Another job, also a private home that they found pot plant damage as they were preparing to sell the home. Wool, textured, loop pile carpet.

The mats were badly faded, so I did a straight forward 'swap-a-spot' and took carpet out of the wardrobe and cut the exact shape out of the bedroom and fitted without any adjustments or trimming at all.

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7052.jpg

Student rental carpet.
Low profile olefin, loop pile. The students placed an aerosol can in the fire box, and when it got hot, it exploded, that coincided with them opening the door and showered hot embers over the lounge room floor.

I found the same product in a deleted line and fitted this. On a repair of this size, and especially on this style of carpet, cutting between the rows would have been a nightmare and very time consuming. So this job was cut using a long straight edge and new sharp blade for each cut, then careful seam sealant.

The tenant was very happy, and she got the job done for 1/3 of what the LandLord had quoted to replace the whole room 'because the carpet is deleted'.

IMG_7067.jpg

John

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Why is it that I always get depressed when I see John's work?

I went twice to Barry Costa's carpet repair class and my work, never ever born the slightest resemblance to John's.
Shall I attribute it to the life ain't fair department?

Nice work John.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Nothing beats actually getting out there doing it!

Having a ton of patience and a perfectionist attitude is of great value too.

I rarely clean a carpet any more, pretty much full time doing specialty repairs, carpet inspections, warranty claims and fault rectification.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I have a saying I love to use... No good deed goes unpunished!!

Thankfully, not applying to me this time. But when you do someone a favour, it's bound to be the job that bites you in the bum.

This is an Irvine Floors product, $300/m SDN from South Africa. The rep decided for some reason to sell this product direct to an interior designer and then either they or the client got their own installer to install.

The problem was, all the seam edges were fraying and delaminating. I went in last year and did an inspection, and called the rep stating it's installation related, and therefore not his problem. But due to the above, fixing or replacement is on him :wtf: So all of a sudden, I have a job that I don't usually do, and he wants it done at 'any cost'.

Last year, I only had a couple of hours, so I did 1x doorway and 1x hallway join as a 'testing the waters' scenario, to prove to myself, the rep and the client it could be successfully rectified, and then leave it for 3 months to show it can withstand use.

So I was back in Wellington yesterday, there's 60 steps between where I park the truck and the floor I have to work on, I needed 4 trips to get all equipment into place, and halfway through, realized I HAD to have the power stretcher :shock:

The seam across the upstairs TV lounge.
IMG_7396.jpg

Split open.
IMG_7400.jpg

Delamination is on BOTH sides of the join, and only the width of the tape/iron. The installer ran his iron too hot.
IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

Old tape removed. Delamination re glued, edges trimmed and seam sealed. Ready to re join.
IMG_7405.jpg

Tape in place, approx 1" gap to stretch out.
IMG_7407.jpg

Half way.
IMG_7408.jpg

Finished and vacuumed.
IMG_7409.jpg

Very satisfying :thumbup: until you realise that I now need to do 5 trips fully loaded up and down those 60 steps :thumbdown:

John

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It looks like you're a true craftsman John, excellent work.

The Clean Machine

steve_64

thanks for the post and how well you described and pictured everything.

ive been thinking of getting into repairs since the guy i use to refer is getting out of the business.

this really helps motivate me to take some classes and learn how to do this.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
This is what we refer down under to re tufting, US terminology is reburling. Using needles and yarn supplied from the manufacturer.

I was called into this job by the store, the installer had a really bad day! I completed 120-140 of these.

697a2d9579213a7e6c532a6d0f474162.jpg

ddf59915a80a8649e306f51036b0bda0.jpg

John

Last edited:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
This is a unique kids play product called Melting Putty and it claims to defy newtons laws of physics and not clearly fall into any of the three states of solid, liquid or gas.

Anyway, this putty was left on the carpet hidden and 'melted' into the top of the carpet. It has a silicone base.
IMG_7447.jpg

I tried a few VDS, and Stelco's Instant Paint remover did move it the best, but the problem was one of agitation, the amount needed, would have caused severe tip blooming, while running the risk of getting solvent into the latex and causing delamination down the track.
IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

I sold the client on a bonded insert given the carpet was just over a year old and they had plenty of off cuts. My costs were half of their insurance deductible and they had multiple open plan rooms joining, so it would have been a crapfight to get it all done in the same dye lot.
IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom