A man and his coupler

Name
I'm Rick James
You may of remebered I posted a topic in regards to my coupler. I was having a issue of the sleeve on the blower side sliding back. So I recently bought a ring from HM and installed it. So far so good, but I dont think it will hold for as much as I am using my machine. I would rather get a new coupler system..

Does anyone have a suggestion on replacing that whole coupler unit with something that is more reliable.

Does it matter how far the engine is away from the blower to cause the coupler sleeve to slide back. They installed a B&S , it did have a Onan engine, i dont know if the engine should be moved back away from the blower. I am wondering if the power of the engine could be pushing that coupler on the opposite of the engine.

thanks

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Do I understand your post correctly?

The set screws are loosening and allowing your coupler to slide back.

If so replace the set screws with knurled point set screws. They keep mine tight.

Name
I'm Rick James
KevinD said:
Do I understand your post correctly?

The set screws are loosening and allowing your coupler to slide back.

If so replace the set screws with knurled point set screws. They keep mine tight.

I did replace the set screws. And make sure after every job they are still tight. Even with that ring, it does seem like it is still sliding back. Either that or I am seeing things. That is why i am wondering if the postion of the engine may have a factor.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
do you have a dodge coupler try to replace the cotter key and put two set screws one on top of the other to lock it

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Depending upon who manufactured the coupler flange, the set screws may be too small in the first place. For instance, Martin is bad about that. If I use a Martin, I drill out the set screw holes and re-tap them for 5/16-18. (The small ones strip out too easily and don't grip well.)

Personally, I'd go with Lovejoy. Woods is okay, but the edges are rounded and not as easy to align visually.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
make sure that everything is lined up correct and switch over (as Duane mentioned and is correct... ) to a love joy set up...much better couplings and put some lock-tite in the set screws

Name
I'm Rick James
Erik said:
do you have a dodge coupler try to replace the cotter key and put two set screws one on top of the other to lock it

Did that.

bob vawter said:
belt system

My next TM will.

Duane Oxley said:
Depending upon who manufactured the coupler flange, the set screws may be too small in the first place. For instance, Martin is bad about that. If I use a Martin, I drill out the set screw holes and re-tap them for 5/16-18. (The small ones strip out too easily and don't grip well.)

With all the vibration I can see them not gripping that well. You have a pic of a lovejoy. I dont think this is aligned 100 perfect.

[quote="Jim Martin":2hfckrv4]make sure that everything is lined up correct and switch over (as Duane mentioned and is correct... )

to a love joy set up...much better couplings and put some lock-tite in the set screws

Used the blue lock tite

Personally, I'd go with Lovejoy. Woods is okay, but the edges are rounded and not as easy to align visually.[/quote:2hfckrv4]

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I had this exact same problem with my TM when I replaced the Onan with a Honda.

The slippage was because the set screw that tightens down on the shaft key was located too far back, so when it was tightened it didn't even screw down onto the key.

YES, it did matter how far the coupler was set on the engine side. I fixed my problem by moving the coupler on the engine shaft a little deeper and moving the coupler on the blower side out towards the end of the blower shaft. It has worked fine since. I also make sure to tighten the set screws every week or two.

LOOSE THE COUPLER AND DO THIS.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ ... D00097.flv
GET WITH NATE-THE-GREAT AND GET BETTER PHOTOS.
block4.jpg

LES

Name
Nate W.
I'll try and get better pics, if you'd like. I can't ever see myself run a coupler machine. I'd run one of Bawb'z Brand Used pto machines before I run a coupler machine. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom