A new arguement from Adjusters

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
In the last two weeks we have received kickback from 2 different insurance companies asking why we tore out padding on a CAT 1. They wanted proof that the carpet wasn't salvageable.
Thankfully we had pictures of the delaminated carpet on one and a picture of the pet proof padding that couldn't be saved....
This is a new wrinkle that I am encountering I thought I'd pass along. Anyone else seeing this?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not heard that Greg. What did they want you to do?

Drying laminated carpet hardly makes sense. It would eventually get replaced and it just cost them more to dry & replace. I would think as long as it was documented (Pictures, small piece of the carpet) it wouldn't be an issue.

Pet Pad should be a non issue. It is not permeable, so without air being able to pass through it you will not be able to dry it.
A product as far as from it ever getting wet. However it was probably never intended to be dried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
No heard that Greg. What did they want you to do?

Drying laminated carpet hardly makes sense. It would eventually get replaced and it just cost them more to dry & replace. I would think as long as it was documented (Pictures, small piece of the carpet) it wouldn't be an issue.

Pet Pad should be a non issue. It is not permeable, so without air being able to pass through it you will not be able to dry it.
A product as far as from it ever getting wet. However it was probably never intended to be dried.

I know that- but unless your initial notes indicate this, you will be fighting with them.

hogjowl

Idiot™
They're growing tired of the high mark-ups you guys are used to charging.

It's as much their fault as it is yours. They allowed the culture to develop over the years.

But, times are changing.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They're growing tired of the high mark-ups you guys are used to charging.
We only do mitigation, no mark up's here.

But here is the "deal doe" on the mark up of subs. :biggrin:

They want you to be responsible but not make much on the mark up. You manage the project, meet with the sub, schedule the sub, pay the sub (before you are paid), be responsible for "his" work but they don't want you to profit from it. :icon_rolleyes:

Let them handle all the subs themselves and there will be no mark ups.

But, times are changing.
I really hope so.

If they raise their deductibles high enough, then its back to dealing with home & business owners. That's when we will be seen as a value over replacement (when its out of their pocket).

We do a lot of uninsured work and it goes so much smoother without the insurance providers mucking it up. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Richard are you giving the uninsured jobs a break on cost or just going right along with xactimate prices for insured or non insured jobs?
:eekk:
We have one price for everyone. Insurance, non insurance, public entities, corporations. I think if you were to have two prices, you'd risk someone complaining.

Charge more to the insurance companies and they will accuse you of price gouging. Charge more to the homeowner and give the discount to the insurance? Homeowners will scream.

One price, nobody deserves a discount unless its "Quick Pay" or "Extended Use".

Mrice

Name
Mat
:eekk:
We have one price for everyone. Insurance, non insurance, public entities, corporations. I think if you were to have two prices, you'd risk someone complaining.

Charge more to the insurance companies and they will accuse you of price gouging. Charge more to the homeowner and give the discount to the insurance? Homeowners will scream.

Multiple prices work fine for other industries, the medical industry for one. Just pointing it out.

Mrice

Name
Mat
I think you're doing the honorable thing, unlike the previously mentioned industry. I don't do mitigation or water damage.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just for general knowledge I know there was a time State Farm would call to get pricing posing as an insured homeowner and then as an un-insured one. They wanted to see if you were charging them more. If you were they instructed agents NOT to use you.

With vendor programs I doubt they do any longer but who knows.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
LOL Soo who would you give the discount? and why?
Could you give a discount to customers who paid a % up front and cash upon completion? Would it be worth it so you didn't have to carry the bill for 60 to 90 days and have to deal with the insurance co?

Just wondering... I have thought about doing some small restoration work but only for those that don't want to use or don't have insurance, I think I could get referrals from restoration companies that we sub under for the jobs they don't want.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes Chris but we offer that to anyone that pays quickly. On large projects quick pay can save a corp enough to make them take advantage of it. Equally a homeowner that can save money on an uninsured loss will pay faster too.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I've heard all sorts of weird stuff. It seems like new arguments all of the time.

we don't pay for dehus in the garage

we don't pay for emergency fees

we don't pay monitoring

too much equipment

you should have demoed X

you shouldn't have demoed X

we don't pay for heat...this is south texas

you should have used heat

you should have dried the insulation

why are you drying the insulation

We've heard it all. I don't let it rattle me anymore. You just find a way to work through it and move on. One of the biggest lessons I've over the years is not to be afraid to charge for legit things at the beginning. Nobody will reward you for being a great guy. Most likely you are gonna get dinged even with the most reasonable and charitable invoice. You might as well start off with the max charges since it will be a negotiation anyway.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
http://reetsdryingacademy.com/worlds-fastest-drying-system-water-damage-training-class/
I sent a supervisor last week and he saved us $600.00 the first disputed bill. The second one he didn't save a thing but may still in the end once the homeowner gets us paid.

The difference is he has the answers and the confidence to take them on now. He now looks forward to the challenge. So much of what they tell you is BS, too much untruth being told to cut invoices that are legitimate.

They have no where to turn when "you are in the right" and the charges are valid. I fully recommend attending Reets class. :cool:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So, we're not returning to the days of sucking water, pulling pad and floating the carpet for three days with a couple of fans?
I have no problem with that, as long as everyone is aware of everything else that was affected and I'm not held liable when there are microbial activity related to it.

Mang, we are not the WDR police. I'll provide any level of service you want.

However you have to take responsibility for your decisions and not hold me responsible when things go South. :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom