a PDA vs this??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have been looking at PDA phones and trying to justify it, having internet access where ever I am at would be awesome, but I am having a hard time justifying it for using it with my scheduling etc. so maybe you can help me see something I am missing.

the PDA has internet wherever I am, however from what I can see, when a customer calls it would be much more work to enter their name via typing into the PDA schedule , its also not possible to see your week laid out in front of you.

with this
002-1.jpg

it fits in my shirt pocket, a customer calls I just write it down in the day it needs to go with the time, I can whip it out and see my whole week at a glance, the only thing I don't like is having to carry it in my shirt pocket, am I missing something

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Personally I started out with the day planner carried in my pocket just like you but my biggest problem was I would have a hard time keeping it with me all the time. My phone on the other hand is just like my car keys I always have it on me. I use a motorola Q and an aftermarket scheduling program called extreme agenda. The Q has a full keyboard so typing on it is easy and extreme agenda allows you to view one day at a time or one week at a glance or monthly views. It's also very convenient for confirmation calls. You go straight into your agenda click on the appointment and it dials the number you stored straight from there. Plus of course it syncs with outlook for scheduling reminders and such.

Either way works but the phone is way more convenient for me. Besides I have to have the phone any way and the Q was only $100 when I bought it, so what the hey, plus I get internet.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm thinkin about just keepin a small laptop with me. I can type really well on a real keyboard so it would work better than me writing in my dayplanner...which is what I do now as well.

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
We use bluetooth enabled BB Curves.You can talk with your prospective client while looking at your schedule(weekly or monthly,ect.)Type in their info,done.Right now we're looking at maximizer which includes wireless synchronization,that way,no matter who is on a quote/inspection,the job is booked then or later in real time.Automatically updates all of the info,no scheduling conflicts.Lets hope this runs as smooth as promised :D

Patrick

Besides, a bunch of "paper" would just wilt and suffer in my shirt pocket after just one job!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Maximizer is a really good software. They don't have the version for my pda though, so I'm kinda up a creek. I just sync through Outlook and then Maximizer, keeps my calender all backed up.
I went to a pda from a Franklin because I had double booked a day, I didn't write the appointment in my Franklin properly. Now I can just drag and drop, or copy and paste.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Brian Robison said:
I'm thinkin about just keepin a small laptop with me. I can type really well on a real keyboard so it would work better than me writing in my dayplanner...which is what I do now as well.

Oh, we know you can type! :lol:

redbird

I just got an EVEREX CLOUD 7 INCH laptop so far it works well, i plan to use it in the truck . i have loaded Quick books on it and micro soft office. 425 at circuit.com 60 gig hd drive

299 at wal mart 30 gig hd drive. wireless/ card reader and 3 usb's

it is small and light. e-mail me if anyone has questions at 4jimcardinal@comcast.net

JIM

C

Carpet Dude

stick to the pocket dayplanner, like you I much prefer to write-in my schedule....here's a few reasons why:

1- easy portability

2- no monthly bill

3- no charging battery

4- if you drop it, wipe it off and keep going

5- #2 pencil fits in the ear easier then a stylus

6- writing has become a lost art in this fast communication age

7- who would want to break your windshield over a wrinkled dayplanner?

8- you would strain your eyeballs looking at a 2" screen, not so with day planner

9- as a back-up, I transfer everything into the laptop and vice-a-versa

10- if you lose the day planner, replace easily at Staples

11- you can paper clip and store days receipts, notes etc onto day planner, try that with a pda

I can go on and on......

Don't get me wrong, technology is good, but not necessarily for everyone and not for every application.
Needing something is totally different from wanting it and got to have it.....know what I mean?

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
1. You already carry a phone, why carry something else.
2. When your customer calls, their information will be displayed, allowing you to view important details, including address, and last appointment.
3. No doubling input into a laptop, just sync it and your done
4. Newer PDA's will save the information, even if they crash
5. Technology makes you a hero to your customer.
6. PDA's, you can have pictures of the house, so when they call, you "see" their house to remind you of them.
7. Your gonna get a new phone sometime, might as well spend your money right.
8. Takes less time to schedule a previous customer, about 1.5 minutes on the call, vs 3-5 to take down all information and details.
9. Internet and Email access if wanted.

PDA will smoke your dayplanner slowness all day long. I use Palm, have for several years. I use a program called CallREC that I can just touch the button, and it records the call. If its a previous customer, their info is displayed on screen, and I can generally remember them. If not, I can get to their information while on the call, touch a button, and schedule them in.

Palm or Windows Mobile + Agendus Pro

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
wow i just keep a page of my calender for the current month and the next month in my back left pocket. i can sit on it, i can write in what i need to do when i get the calls, and it takes no batteries. i write what i schedual on my desk calender when i get home.

tdowney

I definitely prefer my BlackBerry over my day planner! I love getting my e-mail immediately rather than looking at it at the end of the day. I've had several customers comment on how fast I am able to respond when they send an e-mail or fill out an online request.

My phone also has mapping features, and of course the internet. The BlackBerry pearl is the same size as a regular cell phone so it's not a pain in the butt to carry either.

Jennifer Marburger
Perceptionist
866-652-5968

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom