A service fee; cleaning fee, call charge call it what you will...

-JB-

Name
JB
... would you could you?

$25

$50

$????

Could you sell it?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
just to show up? lots of service industries do it.

Ya I have pointed out several times that a sears repairman will charge $80 just to show up at the door and that is before they do anything. I think the only way a CC can get a service call fee is to just incorporate it into the price and have a healthy min. charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
just to show up? lots of service industries do it.

that's because they have to diagnose something first.
Then give a price quote to fix.
which may not be in the home owner's budget or worth it to fix if buying a new stove, fridge, AC , water heater et al may be more cost effective in the long run

Could you sell it?

donno if i could, but i wouldn't .
think I'd just raise my minimum charge or increase prices across the board to reflect the extra $amount I want pr job

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
that's because they have to diagnose something first.
Then give a price quote to fix.
which may not be in the home owner's budget or worth it to fix if buying a new stove, fridge, AC , water heater et al may be more cost effective in the long run[\QUOTE]

Same could be said for carpet. Come out for x and quote all work to be done. We kinda do something similar, but we just have a high first room charge then lower for additional rooms. I dunno if it would work in consumers minds but the principle is sound... Personally if the truck don't start I don't charge, even if its a spot job except in extreme circumstances I just eat it and hope for future good juju.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Cripes, we don't even charge for time consuming free estimates.

Not sure we could get away with a trip charge in our competitive industry. I don't think so really.

Name
I'm Rick James
Whenever faced with a question like this I always think if I personally would like an extra fee if I used a carpet cleaning company.. the answer is NO.

If you are trying to up your average ticket, either raise your prices or focus more on upselling jobs with the additional services you offer. As a consumer I start to lose respect for a company in general that tries to do the ticky tack charges..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not sure what we are talking about.
A charge regardless if we do the job? Or a charge incorporated into the job's total cost?

If the first, I suspect it will not fly. I'd be delighted if it does. When asked for a free on location estimate (which I rarely do. 99.9% phone estimated) I am always tempted to say: And your free estimate will be $99.00
So far I am happy to report, I have resisted that temptation :winky:

If it is the second, I think most of us incorperate it into the total. I don't name it as such, however the first three hundred square feet are charged at a higher rate. The reason I don't name it as such is simple- people don't like it.

For example: If a job requires me to run 350 feet of hose, go to the third floor etc, I charge more than a job on the first floor that needs 100 feet. I call it "a challenging set up" and I charge an extra $50.00 (It takes at least half an hour longer.) I've had people spend half an hour trying to persuade me that it really is a very very easy set up. Well.....maybe where they came from :eekk:.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Not sure what we are talking about.
A charge regardless if we do the job? Or a charge incorporated into the job's total cost?

If the first, I suspect it will not fly. I'd be delighted if it does. When asked for a free on location estimate (which I rarely do. 99.9% phone estimated) I am always tempted to say: And your free estimate will be $99.00
So far I am happy to report, I have resisted that temptation :winky:

I think that's a better way to go...charging for estimates, that is.
$25, $35, whatever , just have a charge that would cheerfully be refunded on approval/acceptance of price quote
(which you just add into the cost while you're selling the job)

whole lot better than a invoice line item "show up" charge to clean a job already scheduled
("IF" that's what JB is asking)

..L.T.A.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
We did a $20 set up charge for a couple of years and after answering far to many questions about what it was and getting "those" looks I decided to include it in our first room charge and have never been questioned about it. I put the question up to the members of this board and this was what most suggested to do.
I will still occasionally add a set up fee for a tough hose run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom