A word on equipment and your biz.

Anyone that doesn't buy the newest most shiny truck and equipment they can afford is nuts.

Why would you buy a used slide in tm with a couple thousand hours and used van? I know because it is CHEAP.

Jim Martin is executing his plan to perfection. I actually considered buying a V several years ago. Oh well.

The plan is buy a kick ass powerful machine that shows your professionalism and sets you apart, put 3k hours which means you made a boat load of money, build your clientelle rock solid, and then sell the rig for half. To do that you need brand new equipment. You also need to baby the equipment and take great care of it so you don't wind up with a broke down poc 5 years later. That is my opinion.

That is what every cleaner should try to do.

Mikey P

Administrator
Clean and well kept equipment is good enough.

Results are far more important than a 2010 Ford Van in the driveway.

had a dude drooling over the RESULTs of my i today.. :!: :!:

only asked if I got noise complaints about the V

Chris A

Name
Chris
Daniel isn't your truck the one that just says "full service" on the side? LOL

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
judson jones said:
Machines do not clean carpets.

People do.

Machines are only tools of the trade.

Good luck,Judson

The trouble is that some people think the machine is what cleans, so having an impressive machine will actually be a marketing tool that SOME customers will appreciate. Might as well cover all your bases.

I tried to get Mikey a job with his Vortex, but I understand they only wanted a cleaner with a Steam Way machine, because they always had great success no matter where they lived in the country.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Clients choose a company based on trust, credibility, reputation, ease of service transaction, referrals, results and various other factors.

The make and model of your machine.....Not so much.

Do you know what the brand is of the wrench your plumber uses?

That's what I thought.

Mike Draper

if you are a mortgage officer you should spend a ton on a nice car so your clients will think you are successful.

-JB-

Name
JB
Clients choose a company based on trust, credibility, reputation, ease of service transaction, referrals, results and various other factors.

That's what I thought.

Hi.

Ummmm.

Are you the same Dave Yokum that used to slam me for using a SD? :roll:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I was at local supplier today, mentioned I had thought about selling mine. 2 hours later I had a phone call asking if I was serious about selling and how much did I want because he had someone interested in it. Right place right time I guess.

people may not know the name of the machine but some know the difference between a pipe wrench and a cresent wrench

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
danielc said:
Why would you buy a used slide in tm with a couple thousand hours and used van? I know because it is CHEAP.

That is what every cleaner should try to do.

Because I can buy a used slide in TM with a couple thousand hours and used van and pay cash. I can eliminate the risk of having to make payments should the economy dip. I can then put 3000 more hours on it meaning I made a boatl load more. I can then either sell it or keep it as a back up and buy a newer USED slide in with a couple thousand hours and used van with CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what every cleaner should try to do.

P.S. don't overlook used PTO's I would put my 11 year old White magic PTO with 2800 hours up against almost any new slide in for reliability. If I was looking to grow I would look to buy Ken Snow's butlers.

randy

Name
Randy
Some of the most successful operators in the country don't even own truck mounts.
I know a guy that operates out of a Nissan Versa, has a couple of used Host units that he bought off Ebay and a couple of battery sprayers. He has been making between $80,000 -$85,000 for a good 6-7 years, as a one man band with no advertising/marketing expense. He didn't even have business cards till his sister ordered him some for a birthday gift. Not the savviest entrepreneur I know, but I also know a bunch of guys with state of the art truckmounts that have never netted $80,000. He actually started with used Oreck orbiters. He would buy them at garage sales, craigslist and Ebay 2-3 at a time and wear them out. Getting him to upgrade to used Host machines was difficult and took dragging him out to a Host job.

Don't plan on always being able to sell your used truckmounts for 1/2 of the original cost. I have seen lots of used stuff going for way less. Thanks to Bob Foster posting that Cimex ad off craigs list , I picked up a 19" brand new (literally never used) for $1,000. Some dealers sell that unit for $3,000. Things have changed big time on the used/surplus equipment end of things.

Lots of ways to do this business, and not all of them involve lots of debt and huge payments. :D

F

FB7777

in early 2002 I bought my first new Butler for 40K

in early 2006 I bought my 3rd new Butler for 50K

now a fully loaded one is 60K

There are lots of gently used systems on the market

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Half the time, unless she's going out to check the mail or to see what's making all the noise, Mrs. Piffleton isn't even gonna see your wheels, let alone what's inside.

Seriously, what should shine is you. Here's an easy way to make a great first and lasting impression and show your professionalism for a fraction of the cost.

shirtntie.jpg

Besides, if you maintain it your equipment will give you years of faithful service. You can keep it looking perty.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
JB said:

That's what I thought.

Hi.

Ummmm.

Are you the same Dave Yokum that used to slam me for using a SD? :roll:

I don't believe I have really cared about what equipment others use.

I'm more focused towards marketing.

Mikey P

Administrator
Loren Egland said:
[quote="judson jones":60x6gisg]Machines do not clean carpets.

People do.

Machines are only tools of the trade.

Good luck,Judson

The trouble is that some people think the machine is what cleans, so having an impressive machine will actually be a marketing tool that SOME customers will appreciate. Might as well cover all your bases.

I tried to get Mikey a job with his Vortex, but I understand they only wanted a cleaner with a Steam Way machine, because they always had great success no matter where they lived in the country.[/quote:60x6gisg]

Hello,
I wanted to thank you for recommending Brian Luddy to clean our carpet, but we would like to have someone with either a Steamway Intl. or Vortex machine. Please keep us on your list to do our motorhome when you're in our area. We're at the Betabel RV Resort, just off hwy. 101 about 2 miles south of rte. 129. The resort is about 7 miles south of Gilroy.

I was able to get another individual who wants their RV done who is also here at Betabel. Someone there in your office, possibly Sara(?) said it would be $165. each and there isn't much carpet in either of our RV's, maybe 200 sq. ft. My quote was including our sofa to be cleaned but our friend has leather furniture and so doesn't need any furniture done, but is still willing to pay the $165.

Please let me know if you think you can clean our carpets within the next couple of weeks? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Donna & James

John Watson

We get clients that ask if we have a new truck?? Just cause the way it looks, No still the ol 97, Then they say good you still got the ol 88 Jem inside right??? I have been asked more about my 22 yr old Jem than the 38 yr old iicrc...

Claude even flagged Helen and I down in traffic one day a year or so ago and wanted to look over our new truck..He then offered to take Helen and I to lunch, He was going to fly us to San Jauns, we had to decline cause we had our 2nd job of the day to do yet...

Now that is slower, maybe I should call him up and see if its lunch time yet??

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Wayne Miller said:
Half the time, unless she's going out to check the mail or to see what's making all the noise, Mrs. Piffleton isn't even gonna see your wheels, let alone what's inside.

Seriously, what should shine is you. Here's an easy way to make a great first and lasting impression and show your professionalism for a fraction of the cost.

shirtntie.jpg

Besides, if you maintain it your equipment will give you years of faithful service. You can keep it looking perty.

ok seriously if i looked like that to go clean carpets ....id kick my own ass.....

maybe to go do bids.....but at least smile like you dont have a stick in your ass

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
tracywalker said:
I would put my 11 year old White magic PTO with 2800 hours up against almost any new slide in for reliability.

Is it just me or there is something wrong with that....? 11 year old 2800 hours???!! :shock:

We have 2 truckmounts that were purchased around the same time (end of '07 early '08) one of them is a hx which means it runs a lot more for hot water, the other one is an oil burner..
HX unit has about 1700hrs
Oil burner unit has 1200hrs

I guess that 11 year old truckmount hasnt been working a lot... :?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Was just thinking back to Val's answer to whether she would want a V or the lunch pail to clean her carpet. I believe her answer was, I don't care as long as it does the job.

Now who are we trying to impress? When I was buying my first TM I was told, they all spray and suck. Buy something that you can afford and that works, that doesn't need a lot of maintenance, will give you 5yrs min of trouble free operation, and get to work.

Unfortunately I bought the Big Red rather than the Steamway Mastermatic. I did however learn a lot of about TM maintenance and modifications. I REALLY appreciate the simplicity of my CanAm now.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
tracywalker said:
I would put my 11 year old White magic PTO with 2800 hours up against almost any new slide in for reliability.

Is it just me or there is something wrong with that....? 11 year old 2800 hours???!! :shock:

We have 2 truckmounts that were purchased around the same time (end of '07 early '08) one of them is a hx which means it runs a lot more for hot water, the other one is an oil burner..
HX unit has about 1700hrs
Oil burner unit has 1200hrs

I guess that 11 year old truckmount hasnt been working a lot... :?

I am not 100% sure of the history. The van may of been a few years old when the White Magic was installed, and I do know the last owner didn't use it for about a year or more. I bought it last April and have put close to 400 hours on it myself. Just using the example that good used PTO's seem to be very affordable and still have a lot of life left.

Farenheit251

United Parcel Service is doing pretty well and I bet they are still using the same trucks that were old but immaculately maintained when I left 18 years ago.
A simple TM like Acellerated or Judson and you can go indefinitely just swapping out part every year or two.
If you buy the latest high tech TMs I agree about selling in 4-5 years. The overpriced parts and having to take it in to someone with specialized training to understand the bells/whistles gets way too costly.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
Anyone that doesn't buy the newest most shiny truck and equipment they can afford is nuts.

Clean, professional equipment in good working order (new or used) is what you need

A cheerful "people pleasing" personality will get you farther than the wheels that carry you there.
with or without a TIE... :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Taking some training classes is a better investment than equipment. Some of the best cleaners I know have the most middle of the way equipment. And people do business with people not with equipment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom