About all these "Virtual" Classes...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I need to get some edumacation on a few topics next year, but I refuse to go virtual. Here's why...

The last "Virtual" class I took was for a software company that did the scheduling and invoicing for a bank to learn their scheduling process on how to submit invoices. It was a 4hour class and if was required if I was gonna be the preferred vendor to maintain 24 banks.

So I blocked off 5hours of my day to take this class (2-3 job slots). Guess what? THEY had networking trouble on their end TWICE and I after the class was already assigned and finished...I lost 15hrs of work.

So, IICRC or whatever your new abbreviation is...Online "Virtual" classes are a no go and I'll gladly wait for a REAL class to start.

Just be proactive. Before every class, take the body temp of each student and teacher, no shaking hands, and have the seats at a reasonable distance between each student, and if a student has a cough, cold, or headache symptoms the day of the class to politely ask them to be in another room by themselves with a remote speaker or not attend at all.

Don't let Rona ruin our industry.

Thanks Mike for staying true on performing your classes. As for IICRC...

Tom Forsythe

I recently attended a online class and was encouraged by what I learned. I think that technical information can be presented effectively online. It also may allow for better instructors to do more teaching. However, hands on training, is essential to see how the technical information is applied. I would be inclined for an IICRC carpet cleaning class to have 2 parts, one part on-line technical ( a national schedule for the attendee's convenience)and the other part, practical hands on training to be in the local area. Potentially the hands on can be done in a commercial building or a Ronald's McDonald's house.

Reactions: The Great Oz

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The reason they're hosting the online classes is beyond stupid, Tom. Keep in mind...every time a technician cleans out their waste tank, they're exposed to viruses and sickness way more dangerous then old Rona.

Not to mention those that are exposed to CAT3 poop jobs.

So quit being a pansy and host 100% person to person hands on training. If YOUR immune system is to weak to do that...don't teach.

Mikey P

Administrator
The reason they're hosting the online classes is beyond stupid, Tom. Keep in mind...every time a technician cleans out their waste tank, they're exposed to viruses and sickness way more dangerous then old Rona.

So quit being a pansy and host 100% person to person hands on training. If YOUR immune system is to weak to do that...don't teach.

New to the industry or "temporary hires" are the ideal student...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Most of the IICRC classes I have taken, lend themselves to a virtual platform. It's mainly theory. I only had one class that included hands training, which was an upholstery cleaning class with Ron Toney. Taught me how to clean, "with style".

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The ONLY time a virtual class should be taken is if the curriculum is teaching about a specific software program like exactimate or scheduling software. And that’s IF they can guarantee No hiccups in error

Last edited:

Tom Forsythe

My opinion had nothing to do with Covid. I believe that my suggestion would be of ongoing value. You could get better technical classes, but the separation would assure better hands on training. You also would not have to wait 12 months until the next carpet cleaning class came to town. You could get some of the technical training at your convenience and with the instructor of your choice. The annual hands on training would give additional insights as you would have had some experience to evaluate what you were taught. The model already exists like daily forum posts and annual Mikeyfests.

FredC

Village Idiot

Exhibit B?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
online learning makes way more sense than a classroom, virus or not imo.

No travel or accom expense, stuck sitting between the guy who thinks he's hilarious and needs a shower and the tard who keeps asking you to explain 🤬
There are several more distractions at home vs in the class. And if it's a class that can be hands on...there's no better way to learn. It's easy to start staring out the window and start thinking about other things while the teacher is talking when you're at home vs in a classroom.

I still remember several things about my carpet cleaning class back in '02, yet I don't remember any power point discussions about my virtual class I took back in march this year with that software company.

Name
Evets
My son will be triple Master Certified in December at the ripe old age of 24.
We've spent $8000+ on classes, hotels, food, and other expenses associated with getting his education.
It would have been nice to have the option of doing it from home.

Mikey P

Administrator
My son will be triple Master Certified in December at the ripe old age of 24.
We've spent $8000+ on classes, hotels, food, and other expenses associated with getting his education.
It would have been nice to have the option of doing it from home.

Can he eloquently explain to a homeowner why her carpet still smells like a wet coon hound after cleaning?

F

FB7777

I'm learning Banjo Virtually.
You’re making Matt’s original point 😃

actually found a couple old Michael Angelo Batio sweep picking technique instructional videos that helped increase my speed

now if Hand arthritis would just cooperate ....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm really wanting to learn how to play the bass guitar. I've seen some awesome solo dudes jam away. I think I'm gonna make a trip to the music store today and see what they got

Reactions: FB7777

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom