Acidic Rinses Causing Black Streaks

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've noticed, over the years, that acid-side rinses like Last Step and End Zone, cause black streaks on the first pass of the wand or RJE in some carpets. Several more passes are required to get them out. It's as though the dirt isn't being emulsified, but consolidated into those streaks. Anyone else notice this?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
What are you using to precondition the carpet, and how are you agitating? Is your prespray drying before you rinse/extract?

You do know that with using those products (acid rinse), the vast percentage of your emulsification should be accomplished BEFORE you even touch wand to carpet, right?

Last edited:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
What are you using to precondition the carpet, and how are you agitating? Is your prespray drying before you rinse/extract?

You do know that with using those products (acid rinse), the vast percentage of your emulsification should be accomplished BEFORE you even touch wand to carpet, right?

Thorougly pre-spray with appropriate product and powerscrub and rinse before dry.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
extrapolate from incomplete data

I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt, and not make assumptions. Let's not make this more mysterious than it might be at this point.

But you might be right, Lee. He didn't ask for a reason, just wanted to poll others who might be experiencing the same.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
sounds to me like if by chance you might be using an emulsifier most of the time, when you switch to an acidic rinse your are in effect descaling your hose, jets and manifolds... Just my perception.

we must be using the same Magic 8 BalL, SweenDoggiel , cause that was my first thought too

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
By "appropriate product", I meant appropriate prespray for fiber type and soil load.

Been using Flex with Citrus, TLC, and EnzAll, all mixed per instructions.

I use ParFlex hose; no black rubber core.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Never had last step streak on me. We pre vac then pre treat with power max
If your using a holed glide make sure there's no debris in your glide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Name
Tom McLaughlin
sounds to me like if by chance you might be using an emulsifier most of the time, when you switch to an acidic rinse your are in effect descaling your hose, jets and manifolds... Just my perception.

That was my first thought too, and depending weather or not you've got last step chemical injection, you're descaling the heat exchanger too. Old school exchangers used to do that, hence the need to "season" them after acid rinse. IIRC, that was mostly the cast iron exchangers.

As long as you're quick on the draw, know what's up, you can steam them right out, use a little traffic lane.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Unless he's using crazy acid rinse dilution and I am sure he doesn't, I do not see any chance that descaling will cause that problem. Definitely not black, also he's using parflex hoses, no black inner rubber hose. And if caused by descaling I would think it would be even and not a streak and would clog his jets.

Must be a different reason.

Name
Tom McLaughlin
I agreed that the acid he was running was acting like a descaler, flushing out the solution hoses and such. Sometimes the older rubber diaphragms in pumps let go with a blackish mark on the carpet, usually first start up in the morning after the machine has been sitting overnight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom