Adhesive glue for fabric borders on back of tufted rugs

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What kind of adhesive is best to re-attach the fabric borders on the back of tufted rugs when they come off or are loose?

Procedure?

tufted-back.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Hot glue, I got fabric specific ones from hobby lobby

Those hot-stick-gun thingamajiggers?

Is putting down a bead effective?

I was thinking the strip would require a thin layer of adhesive across the entire back of the strip for it to not have loose spots.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I haven't had any back to wash again that I've fixed, but the hot glue seems pretty stout once its dried. I replaced an entire border recently doing that. Good bead down the center, then spread out as you apply the border (a small roller would work really well too)

Ron K

Seam Sealer Lay a bead where it is still attached then push out towards edge. If the tape is curling ad some light weight it dries fast. Use enough but not to much. You'll get the hang of it quickly if you're smart and have "touch".

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Latex is probably easiest for small repairs or low-volume of repair.

If you use low/medium temp craft glue sticks, including the "carpet" sticks sold by Home Depot, you'll have a very temporary repair that will fail in use. If you're going to hot-glue you need a high-temp gun and the amber sticks made for carpet fabrication. Invest in a 2/3 inch tip to save time.

Reactions: roro

Ron K

The reason you use the "Amber" sticks is they remain pliable when used. The other is too brittle and will crack. Use the smaller tip until you get the hang of it, 2/3 tip will save time but make a quicker mess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom