Advice on GMC engine replacement

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have a 2001 Savana with a WM pro 1200 direct drive that’s burning oil about as fast as I can pour it in. I’m not afraid to turn a wrench but don’t know anything about working on engines outside of preventative maintenance. The used engines I have found have more miles than the one I’m replacing so it looks like a rebuilt engine for around $1500-$2000 is the way to go. I’ll probably pull out and reinstall the shaft myself because that’s something I know more about than the mechanic. How much should I expect to pay to have a rebuilt engine installed? Any recommendations on who to order the rebuilt engine from?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
MIKE,

Before you replace the engine....

Throw a can of RESTORE in it... :idea:

I got another 9k miles out of my 96 BUTLER... :shock:
Before we replaced with a crate motor... !gotcha!

Be aware that when they see a PTO in the VAN....ALL WARRANTIES ARE OFF... :evil:

4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QPQAU88DI4]

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mike, I had engines replaced in my 86 Ford with a Steam Genie PTO and my 87 GMC with a WM Pro1200, both were in the mid 1990s both done at the Ford and Pontiac/GMC dealers respectively . I think it cost about $3500-$4000 each at the time. Both dealers mechanics did a fine job and I got quite a few more years out of each. The guy who worked on my GMC said he had just replaced an engine in a Hagopian Butler unit the week before. He said he didn't want to work on a PTO van again for a while. LOL

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Hey Mike, You might check with Shane @ Sharp automotive just on the north side of the river to the east on a quote for engine and work. Good guy and I send a lot of friends to him.
Doug

ascrubabove

floorguy said:
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php

My mechanics swear by them

I have had 3 engines from them go bad, they sent a rep over who said that they were having "Quality Control Issues" and "rebuilds are done by min wage wage workers"

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ascrubabove said:
floorguy said:

I have had 3 engines from them go bad, they sent a rep over who said that they were having "Quality Control Issues" and "rebuilds are done by min wage wage workers"

When was this???

cuz if i was a company and offering a warranty like they do...id be damn sure my workers got that shit straight the 1st time...

because i think they have to reimburse the mechanic to on a warranty swap

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks for the advice.

It’s not burning oil as fast as I thought. I figured it was on its last leg because there was no read on the dip stick after topping off the oil the day before. I decided to take Harps advice and add Restore with an oil change. I drain out 5+ quarts :?: It turns out I somehow dislodged the dip stick when I changed out the alternator so that the bottom half was lose outside of the engine :x .

ascrubabove

floorguy said:
ascrubabove said:
floorguy said:

When was this???

cuz if i was a company and offering a warranty like they do...id be damn sure my workers got that shit straight the 1st time...

because i think they have to reimburse the mechanic to on a warranty swap

they do, they paid us to swap it out the second time and the third they paid a wrecker to hall the veh to thier shop somewhere

P

Phoenix Phil

My friend has a 99 Suburban with 250K miles. He swapped the motor at 175K and he's very happy with Jasper they do a better job than GM crate motors that are assembled in Mexico with lower tolerances than Jasper

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My local junk yard gets lots of old cars with bad motors. Mostly all jasper rebuilds

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Kymotorsupply.com good engines I think some where in texas builds them. One year no mileage warranty ive had good luck with them

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
ascrubabove said:
floorguy said:

This is absolutely not true. Jasper is as quality of a company as it gets. I have spend a ton of time at their plant in Jasper. That place is top notch and so are their products.

In the reman world you will always have problems. It's what you do with those problems and how you warranty them that really count. If you want to be suspect of a remaned engine, tranny or differential I would watch out for the dealers. Those things are not "new" as they claim and they are not really made in America either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom