Advice on new machine

Darin

Looking to purchase a new machine after my Mytee M-12 was a flop. Either another portable or any ideas on a beginner truck mount would be appreciated. Please don't tell me to get another Mytee. I had nothing but problems with it with no help from them. I don't do a lot of carpet cleaning but enough to warrant a new machine. If I go with a used truck mount, what are some to look for and some to stay away from? Thanks

Mikey P

Administrator
How much do you have to spend?
Do you already have a van to mount a TM in?
Do you want heat exchangers or gas fired heat?
Do you want a unit from a company still in business?
Do you know your way around right and left handed screwdrivers?

Darin

I don't exactly have a set budget. If I'm going used TM, inexpensive but somewhat reliable is preferred to get my feet wet. I can always upgrade when I have TM experience and know more of what I want in one.

I have an enclosed trailer and a van to mount a TM in.

Not sure if I would prefer heat exchanger or LP heat. Never had either so I have no experience with either one.

Not a huge difference if the company is still around or not as long as parts are available.

I am pretty handy with tools. I have a full maintenance property so I do a lot of repairs myself on equipment. Lawn mowers, street sweepers etc.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You could contact Able Supply in Janesville. 608 290-7847. They carry the Olympus line of portables which are good dependable machines. They also have some entry level truck mounts and they keep track of used equipment there customers have for sale.

Name
steve snail
"somewhat reliable " Don't do it.

Pay some dues and work yur azz off with a brand new portable (0% virtual downtime). You may find that customers will pay a premium for a clean service technician that shows up on time with new equipment. Bank some ca$h. Call the number Scott gave you and ask a lot of questions.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
TRAILER....???
why don't you jus KICK yorsef in the balls right now and get it over with.............

John Olson

Name
John Olson
First who did you buy the M-12 from? They not Mytee are the ones that should be helping you.if there was a real problem it should have been returned under warranty to the person you bought it from. Next if you want used I will have a 405 package with reels and water tank for $8500 soon. I have 3 or 4 people waiting for it to be done but everything is for sale until I have cash and you don't have to wait until it is done to buy it. Search our resurrection threads to get an idea what it will look like when the parts come back from powder coat. It will be black,blue and white and completely gone through with new hoses, belts brass etc. Price is non-negotiable :) other then that I don't have much right now but that can change really fast as I think we just got another 405 today but will find out when I get back Thursday and will see how much we will be in it before I price it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
with a TRAILER.......
yor either backing it IN...
or backing it OUT!
either way way it's only a matter of time till you take out a hedge row....... :cry:

OHH..an' try backing a trailer out of the driveway onto a busy street sometime!

and lets face it...
a trailer shows that yor jus a broke dic that can't AFFORD a real truck!

First I notice that you are in Wisconsin or cold as hell. Good for you!

You don't need a trailer. If that is all you have, insulate it real good.

Do you clean mostly residential, apartments, commercial, or a mix?

Do you work mostly alone, or do you have help?

Do you clean tile and grout and rugs?

Not to get too personal, but are you wanting to pay cash for the machine or finance something?

Answer these first.

For me I could never buy a new single wand machine. I make way more money faster when I have two tools going. A big machine can do small jobs single wanding great and do the bigger jobs even better.

If you are getting a heat exchange machine, you will want to get a real dual wand slide in machine.

If you are working alone and need the great heat in winter, then a propane machine make sense.

What is your budget.

By the way portys suck and should only be used as a last resort.

BillC

bob vawter said:
with a TRAILER.......
yor either backing it IN...
or backing it OUT!
either way way it's only a matter of time till you take out a hedge row....... :cry:

OHH..an' try backing a trailer out of the driveway onto a busy street sometime!

and lets face it...
a trailer shows that yor jus a broke dic that can't AFFORD a real truck!
I use a trailer and I'm far from broke! However I do agree, they are a pain in the azz backing in or out on a busy road..

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
Google "used truckmounts" and look through those to find out what a used TM would cost. If you got the means then by all means get a truckmount, used if need be and make your life easier.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Darin go for a TM mate and stick it in that van - you'll never look back. That 405 of Johns sounds like a great option, if you go for a small entry level machine you'll probably out grow it pretty quick. You don't know how lucky you are having so many used TM machines available, but if you get one that's refurbished from someone like John or another reputable supplier you can hardly go wrong.

RickL

Darin said:
I don't exactly have a set budget. If I'm going used TM, inexpensive but somewhat reliable is preferred to get my feet wet. I can always upgrade when I have TM experience and know more of what I want in one.

I have an enclosed trailer and a van to mount a TM in.

Not sure if I would prefer heat exchanger or LP heat. Never had either so I have no experience with either one.

Not a huge difference if the company is still around or not as long as parts are available.

I am pretty handy with tools. I have a full maintenance property so I do a lot of repairs myself on equipment. Lawn mowers, street sweepers etc.

Bob you even read the OP 2nd post he's got a van and a Trailer

Darin

The 10' enclosed trailer doesn't bother me. We also do lawn care so I have a trailer behind me 90% of the time the last 18 years. I can parallel park my truck with a 20' trailer on the first try. The trailer is insulated and wired so I can plug it in somewhere if needed to keep it warm. I would rather use a van though. I just have options. I would like to pay cash but if a good deal comes along for financing, I would. If I go TM, it will be used as this will be my first one and I would rather buy new after I have experience with one so I know more of what to look for in one. Are the Chem Tex brands any good? Some of those new are lower priced. I actually thought about the Navigator just because I have done properties (apartment complexes) that a TM cannot do. I work mostly alone on carpets. I have some high school kids that help with the grunt work when needed. I live in a welfare town so there isn't a ton of revenue in carpet cleaning here so I don't want to go overboard on a machine. With the proper machine I would like to do tile and grout. I have done it in the past old school with a swing arm and wet vac, but a TM would make it easier. I do a mix of residential, apartments and commercial. I may be interested in the 405 but please excuse my stupidity, is that a Prochem? I can google used truckmounts all I want, but if I have no experience with one, I don't know what to look for or stay away from. How much heat gets lost in 15 degree weather from van to the house? Keep the info and questions rolling guys. And even the snide remarks, I can handle it.

PCCN

Unless you are required to go up multiple flights of stairs regularly there is NO WAY I would invest in another portable. These babies range up to $6,000 and you can definitely find a used, good condition, small truck mount for that or similar.

I would stay away from all the "generic" names of machines. Not to dog it out, but I see a ton of Masters Touch, Blue Baron, Genesis, etc. on line for resale but nobody gives them a good recommendation when you ask about them (except the retailer). Stick with a well known brand that doesn't mind giving you phone advice if you're not near a service facility. (Butler is rediculously accomodating.) Prochem, Butler, Blueline, Judson, Hydramaster/Bridgepoint- all good used machines.

You may have issues with your local distributor (like I did when buying here in nashville) but buy a good product and it will last you years if maintained.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
At LEAST determine that the machine you buy is built with STANDARDIZED COMPONENTS......
very few ARE!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
After selling these things for close to TWENTY years...
i've found that the preponderance of people whether newbies or NOT...
don't know the questions to ask when shopping for a machine that their very existence depends on.....
they for sure don't know how to get jobs.......which is proven by the vast number of used machines out there right now.....

S

sam miller

I have a prochem 405 with 9100 hours on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it Beast!

So good My local guy called me told me he got one used with 650 hours????? and in mint condition sat for a while which scares me a little.

Still I havent seen it but I bought a new van sent it to him and he installed it going to give him 9500 cash out the door with auto pump out and water softner 200 ft of hose and a quad jet wand.

If this machine is half as good as my first its a steal!

Ps I'm also picking up the case of chemicals I won from sapphire on this site on the pto discussion or was it direct drive to bad all your send buttons were stuck!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have second unit for around 450 per month now I can really dual wand!

Ron K

Olympus Machines Suck. Who designs a machine with the power supply connection under the dump valve? 18 year old Ninja still works 5 year old olympus doesn't If you want to buy it, it needs new Vacs, Switches and the pump leaks otherwise it is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom