Advice on Rug Cleaning for a Missionary

americlean

Hey guys, help me help this guy.

I have a missionary friend in the Philippines who works with orphan children. He rents a space and has around 20 synthetic area rugs that he needs to clean regularly. The cost and quality of the cleaning has lead me to want to help him out.

I was thinking that we can come up with directions for him to build a collapsable pit with materials that are easy to find and inexpensive. If anyone has directions please PM them to me. He said she can build a drying rack as well.

I would also like to send him a porty. If anyone has one in good condition that they would like to donate to his ministry or sell to me CHEAP I will cover the shipping to get it over to him if you can get it to me.

Finally, is there a cleaning agent that he could get in a market that would work to clean those rugs. It might get pricey for him to order and ship what we use.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you would like to check out his ministry got to http://www.missionphilippines.org/.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Re: Advise on Rug Cleaning for a Missionary

You can build a half decent pit out of PVC piping and 3 mil plastic everything you could get at home depot. At one end you'd want a place for fresh water to enter, and another to able to drain.

As far as products I would check out Masterblend.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You really don't have to have a pit to clean the rugs correctly unless they need decontamination. Alot of rug plants have wash floors where most the cleaning occurs and only throw the urine, water damaged, exsessive soiled rugs in the pit to leach out the contamination before wash. (kinda of like our wives throw a soiled garments in the sink before it goes to the washer. ) He could get along very well with a garden hose, brush, his choice of detergent, rug squeegee and a little sun light/wind from the lord for drying. He might want a few spotters as well and a watering can makes a great chem applicator.

Method: Vacuum thouroughly both sides. Put the rug face down on a clean hard surface or tarp. Wet the back side of the rug out, add a little detergent to the back side, scrub and rinse. Flip the rug over and repeat, Rinse all the gunk and soap out and squeegee as much of the water out as you can. Then either leave it to dry in place or hang over a fence.

A note... make sure the rugs are woven synthetic and are not rayon or viscose. Also make sure they are not tufted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom