Advice Requested

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok, new tech left solution hose at curb on a large residential job (and I over looked the damn thing). Called next job to see if we could move them up 2 hours due to a schedule change and she agreed and made special arrangements for someone to meet us early. Get to job about 20 min later and then realized tech had left hose, so rather than run back decided to use repaired back up that had been hanging a few months and when I turned everything on after set up tech came running to truck letter me know we had a Black Death blow out. Shit eveywhere and as in the past it all cleaned up well except 2-3 inch circles where the value was leaking and it caused some puddles. Flushed a lot and thought I had it all but they called yesterday saying 2 areas appeared after cleaning that weren't there before. So I plan to go back prespray and use same procure we use with water claw and flush good and then re clean. Any other suggestions

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
And refund her all her money since you inconvenienced her twice. Once with having to move her appointment, and now that you have to go back. It's the right thing to do.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
She really didn't have to change anything with her schedule, she called her mom to see if she could come let us in early. I knew her mother when we arrived because she's always at her other daughters when we cleaned there. I really wasn't 't asking for advice on how to handle the customer relations side of it but suggestions on other ways to clean up the residue in case my planned way doesn't work

Name
I'm Rick James
If she isn't fully inconvenienced then I would just give me a gas card, movie tickets or whatever you think she would like. I don't think you have to give a full refund, but at least show her that you cared she was inconvenienced.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
There is no need for a full refund.
When was the last time you got a full refund from Macy's when there was a button missing in a shirt that you bought?
A $50.00 (or a restaurant gift) or whatever is appropriate will be fine. All you want to express is an acknowledgment of her inconvenience and something to show respect for her time and appreciation for her business. It is the thought and the acknowledgment more than the amount (though don't make the amount measly.)

A full refund in this case is an admission (declaration) of non value of your (our) service.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
D'lim will dissolve the black rubber.

Last edited:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I wouldn't water claw. D'lim scrub if you have any of the vacaway products like hell gel and brush in and extract. If there is an outline after cleaning. Go get some 40 vol peroxide, ammonia and water and spray and lightly brush with a soft nylon brush cover with damp paper towels, collect the $$$ say I am sorry. If you want to give her something print a 10% off next cleaning coupon and roll

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
After reading this (and several other) post(s), I think from now on, if I ever use a length of older hose that has been sitting on the hook for a while, I'm going to hook it up and just lay it out on the driveway while I vac and set up, give it 10 minutes or so outside with full pressure applied.

Come to think of it, I'm going to do the same with a brand new hose before using it for the first time....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
2-3 inch circles where the value was leaking and it caused some puddle

. Flushed a lot and thought I had it all

could it be a wicking issue, Billy?
(due to pad getting soaked)

if so, bit of prespray and normal cleaning (or even a bonnet) ought to square it away

.L.T.A.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
After reading this (and several other) post(s), I think from now on, if I ever use a length of older hose that has been sitting on the hook for a while, I'm going to hook it up and just lay it out on the driveway while I vac and set up, give it 10 minutes or so outside with full pressure applied.

Come to think of it, I'm going to do the same with a brand new hose before using it for the first time....

David, that's exactly what I did after the fact. It took about 1 minute for the black residue to dissappear and I finished without incident. Knowing the hose had been hanging for do long it was actually more my fault than the fact that the new tech had left our newer one at the curb. That's
one of the things I love/hate about this occupation, it seems there's something new everyday (even after 7+ treads). Keeps it from getting boring!

Reactions: dgardner
Name
Steve Lawrence
After you use whatever method to get the black death out, use your Airpath to dry it so you know you've got it all out or to eliminate wicking.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
That's why for us a couple hundred bucks a year to change out the main spool is just a good investment instead of dealing with this. I know you were in a bind and had to use your old hose, but we carry 2 50 foot sections of Parker hose that never get used unless there is an emergency and that has saved us a couple of times.

One of my local cc buddies told me he put a van back out that had sat for 6 months and on the first job, boom Black Death. I asked Jim how old the hoses were and he said - well I had the tm for 6 years so there about six years old. Most cc don't replace hose untill it failed.

I remember when we first got the vortex and we cleaning an upscale home. Homeowners were home during the cleaning. It was July and just cookin, plain hot outside so the heat from the truck was constant blaze. We had been cleaning for about 20 minutes or so when I hear one of my guys screaming" the hose is leaking water, the hose is leaking water!) we were using par flex at the time and rushed in to see home holding the hose and a few pin holes with water leaking out. Homeowners riches upstairs to see what all the commotion was about and my other helper shut the pump off at the truck. Not Black Death but did scar the homeowner and scare me a bit. A few walls got peed on by the stream but nothing was damaged.

I just don't want to put myself or the guys throughout this so we just get new hose yearly and be done with it.

Reactions: tmdry and amygeorge

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
FYI follow up to Black Death. It took 3-4 changed appts on owners behalf but we finally got to it yesterday . Sprayed with Citri Solve (which has d'limolene) as many suggested. At first application seemed nothing would happen, by 3rd application problem gone. Flushed and dried about 10 times. Clean the open area of room again. Upon leaving apologized profusely about the inconvenience to her and gave her a $25 gift card for her next cleaning. She said no problem I knew I could trust you because you have been cleaning my sister 's 1/2 million dollar house for 3 years and oh by the way did you get your son signed up for summer soccer with Commonwealth Soccer Club? I looked at her funny and she said Heather (my wife ) and I discussed soccer on our many calls and I told her about this program. I said thanks I'm not sure but I will certainly remind her about it because my son loves soccer, she said my daughter Annie does to.

So I think we're good. My 34 years in the restaurant taught me all to well how to kiss a.. properly. Thanks for all of your help. AND a new 125ft and new 50 footer ordered same day. My new commitment, to change every spring without fail and move older to Vortex for one year to be used on commercial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom