Advice: Rug Badger or a compressed air system

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
We are currently designing a permananet rug pit. We expect to process 30-50 rugs a week. It will be a submersion type similar to what Jeff Bishop demonstrated at Connections. Obviously we hope it will process more buy we are being conservative. Rug Badger or Compressed air? Which and why? Any advice is great appreciated.

Name
I'm Rick James
Compressed air will only make all the soil airborn, settling in your shop and other rugs.

leesenter

About 50 people a year die from cleaning with compressed air. I can't remember what they call it. But the problem is that it aerosolizes small particulate and it penetrates into your skin and lands in the blood stream.
You must set up proper engineering controls for such a system.

Bjorn

just put the rug over a fence and beat it with a hockey stick

You can vibrate a rug very well with a OP machine

just buy some pond liner some 6 inch pvc pipe a couple of sand bags and you have a wash pit

might buy a cheap sump pump too

get a plastic lawn roller

brent said:
Compressed air will only make all the soil airborn, settling in your shop and other rugs.
Thats why you dust rugs outside. We went over rugs 5 or 6 times with the rug badger and then we hit it with the compressed air and tons of dust came out. I was really impressed with the compressed air.

Bjorn

4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKHHntzOBc4]

4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y14U9NdQWUg4]

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If I were in the market for low-production dusting and had only one choice, I'd get a Badger.

Air dusting removes more fine particulate but isn't as good at moving larger grit. Fine particulate is easier to remove during the cleaning process, so pre-cleaning removal isn't as critical as moving the heavy stuff. The biggest downside to the air system is the high cost of a compressor large enough to be effective, and trying to trap the dust cloud of that fine particulate.

I've found a pad sander modified to use a smooth plate works fairly well and removes more of the heavier grit than air dusting, and will be gentler on the carpet, but will take much more time than a strap-slapper to do it. You can get a pawn shop sander for $500, so might be the best product if you have more time than money.

SFX2008_0264.jpg

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
greg, like odin said...get some pond liner...but install in bed of the pick-up trucks. Then subs...ahh, i mean techs...can do on-site wash-pit cleaning!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Badger, you don't have the mess of compressed air.
Greg's got tons of money bulging out of his pockets. Why pay $3,500 for an effective machine when you can spend $10,000 for a messy system?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Nate,

You can run 3 phase equipment in your building with a Static Phase Converter, they cost a couple hundred dollars you also need an air dryer check e-bay for electric rotary compressors new used ones can be had for 4-6 K range ... if i recall 50 CFM was the minimum but don't quote me on that?

obviously electric systems are more efficient and you have more maintenance issues with gas system vs. electric a good deal now might cost you more in the long run ? ....the price is good

Name
Nate W.
rhyde said:
Nate,

You can run 3 phase equipment in your building with a Static Phase Converter, they cost a couple hundred dollars you also need an air dryer check e-bay for electric rotary compressors new used ones can be had for 4-6 K range ... if i recall 50 CFM was the minimum but don't quote me on that?

obviously electric systems are more efficient and you have more maintenance issues with gas system vs. electric a good deal now might cost you more in the long run ? ....the price is good

Thanks. I got it. I actually have a small static phase converter. It was used with our old winch before it kicked the bucket. I know I'd need a larger one when the time comes. I was just curious on the specs of the compressors to use. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom