After 1.5 years of use 2 of 4 Dripods have failed

Will Reed

Name
Will Reed
Bought 4 dri pods spring of 2012. 2 have failed so far.

One failed when the screws holding the fan vibrated loose and the fan blade is at an angle and hits the cage when it spins. Since the Dripod has rivets holding everything together I don't know how I can get to the fan nuts and tighten it. If i can get to the fan nut and tighten it the fan will work again.

The other fan simply won't turn on anymore. I don't know much about electrician work so maybe I can get it fixed if I take it to an electrician?

I am a little disappointed that 2 of 4 fans have quit working after only 1.5 years of use.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
On the one that won't spin, are the screws loose on it too? if the fan blades or any part of are touching something, it won't spin. I had one do that. Drill out the rivets, tighten screws, then use tie wraps to put it back together.

Reactions: SamIam

Becker

Name
Becker

One failed when the screws holding the fan vibrated loose and the fan blade is at an angle and hits the cage when it spins. Since the Dripod has rivets holding everything together I don't know how I can get to the fan nuts and tighten it. If i can get to the fan nut and tighten it the fan will work again.

The other fan simply won't turn on anymore. I don't know much about electrician work so maybe I can get it fixed if I take it to an electrician?

I am a little disappointed that 2 of 4 fans have quit working after only 1.5 years of use.

Well you are in luck, John is having a sale.

Name
Jesse
I like the Dri Pod's size, weight, and 360 airflow but the quality of the product has me doubting Sapphire.

It should be serviceable or designed not to need service. The fan screws, in my opinion, should be an easy fix for them yet I don't see that they have changed anything. There wasn't even loc-tite on the screws of the 1st one I repaired, the others have been repaired by my tech so I don't know if they are all that way. Fastening internals with a brittle harbor freight grade zip tie is also a sad design feature, but were not supposed to see that because it's riveted shut. I think the price and the reputation/image of the company justifies a higher build quality.

Maybe Sapphire isn't seeing the double digit failure rate users are experiencing because many of us won't waste our time sending a cheap fan in to have 3 screws tightened which will probably just come loose again. How many of these fans are you re-tightening screws on Bill?

Name
I'm Rick James
Weird luck.. 4 dripods here, two since they first came out and no issues with the fans.. they get used 6 days a week too.

Name
Jesse
I've purchased our 10 pods a couple at a time every few months. The failures have been on the oldest units. 3 loose fans, 1 power switch, and another that turns off every few minutes for a few minutes then back on.

PS if anyone knows what's wrong with the lazy pod please share.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Good News- I have a dozen fans (half of them Dri Eaz) and none of them has failed...........................................after 30 years. What does that say about current quality?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I've purchased our 10 pods a couple at a time every few months. The failures have been on the oldest units. 3 loose fans, 1 power switch, and another that turns off every few minutes for a few minutes then back on.

PS if anyone knows what's wrong with the lazy pod please share.

the one that turns off and on may have a broken cord that loses connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I drilled out the rivets on 2 of mine tightened up the screws that hold the fan blade and yes I used zip ties to put them back together.

All four of mine still work, and I have to say I think I prefer pods over my airpath

if you don't have screws pull one out go to the hardware store and match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez

Man Will you have the worst luck. You also forgot to mention that you do 8 jobs a day.

I was thinking of buying a set of 4 as well.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I had the same problem with one of my dripods where the screws loose enough and the fan was slamming the housing. Since it was riveted I was able to send back to interlink where I bought it and got a new one.

I do like them but I think you have to not slam them down or bang them awkwardly or those screws can come loose easier I believe

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
they only have a 1 year warranty...

and they wont take them back after that..

i have 1 that needs fix

John Olson

Name
John Olson

Can't replace 2 year old dry pods you didn't buy from me but call me and I'll sell you 2 at my cost plus shipping and you keep those for spare parts.

Reactions: Will Reed

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

ship them to me.....I bet I can fix both of them..and then I will ship them back....

if they are burnt up..all you lost is the price of shipping one way...but I bet I can fix them both......

Reactions: Will Reed
Name
Jesse
Hey Jim, any ideas on the one I have that goes off and on?

It's not the cord Sam, I changed it in hopes of fixing it. And I wasn't referencing your zip tie usage but the one sapphire uses internally, they are Harbor freight quality

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Just guessing, I had one that went on and off thought my helper was wrapping cord to tight.

Then as I was plugging it in a had to wiggle plug and then it was dead.

Replaced plug works fine.

Ps take Jim up on his offer he probably can get them running.

I use to have a rivet gun years ago pretty cheap and easy to use.

I just wanted to make sure after I fixed it that it was working and I zip tied it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hey Jim, any ideas on the one I have that goes off and on?

It's not the cord Sam, I changed it in hopes of fixing it. And I wasn't referencing your zip tie usage but the one sapphire uses internally, they are Harbor freight quality

I would doubt that it is the motor.....has to be a connection problem somewhere between the plug and the motor....

ship it to me.....I can probably fix it in less then an hour and turn it around back to you......

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
I would doubt that it is the motor.....has to be a connection problem somewhere between the plug and the motor....

ship it to me.....I can probably fix it in less then an hour and turn it around back to you......

... or the motor is getting hot enough to trip the thermal overload. When it cools down enough it comes back on. If that's the case look for the fan blade rubbing or anything that would put extra load on the motor. If you can't find anything like that it's probably not worth fixing.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
... or the motor is getting hot enough to trip the thermal overload. When it cools down enough it comes back on. If that's the case look for the fan blade rubbing or anything that would put extra load on the motor. If you can't find anything like that it's probably not worth fixing.

not always.these fans pull in air across the motor and normally keeps them cool....along with the air comes dirt and it gets stuck up inside the motor causing them to over heat......a good air compressor and blowing them out will fix it every time.......

Reactions: CrazyRay

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you guys are going to pitch these fans out...I will pay the freight and just ship them to me..

Back
Top Bottom