Aftermath of blower jumping time

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
meAt said:
how would gears "vibrate" out of time?

..L.T.A.

You would know what I was talking about if you ever saw the Benz TM in operation... :mrgreen:

That thing looked like it was possessed at lower rpms.

I doubt it was the vibration, but it sure as hell didn't help.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My Big Red Suterbilt 5M broke some teeth just like that. It had a hackish oil drain on the blower when I bought it and not knowing any different, just left it as was. One day the oil drained out. Never ran right after that even after a rebuild. Boy did it clunk the last time I shut it off.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I just realized I never had to drain any oil out of the back to look at it... must have been what happened.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
AshleyMckendree said:
Was the first blower I put on the famous "Mercedes" tm.

Ashley, I must admit I don't remember ever seeing your custom-built truckmount, did you ever post pics? I tried a search but couldn't find it.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
dgardner said:
AshleyMckendree said:
Was the first blower I put on the famous "Mercedes" tm.

Ashley, I must admit I don't remember ever seeing your custom-built truckmount, did you ever post pics? I tried a search but couldn't find it.

The pics I posted here are gone for some reason, and I cant find them save on my hard drive.

...it was a monstrosity :)

A

amazingcleansc

I'm still learning, but was there a shaft directly driving the blower or a belt?

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi:

If the blower is still turning with the lobes missing each other, it did not "jump timing". Also a Suterbuilt has pinned shafts to hold timing, not lock nuts. I'd guess that one, or both of the lobes locked up.

Thx,
Dale

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Dale said:
Hi:

If the blower is still turning with the lobes missing each other, it did not "jump timing". Also a Suterbuilt has pinned shafts to hold timing, not lock nuts. I'd guess that one, or both of the lobes locked up.

Thx,
Dale

Thanks Dale! Do you know If a bearing distributor would carry those gears?

RodneyBeach

From what I have been told the problem is that you have to have a special tool and really know what your doing to set the timing or the bells inside will slam together and crack or bust the teeth off the new gears. I really don't know, I was going to rebuild my roots blower but ended up paying to get it done.

Good Luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Ashley:

The gears have to come from a Suterbilt dealer, unless you can find a used blower with a different problem. What size blower is it?

I was given a whole bunch of 4.7's Roots, that need rebuilding from an Interlink
store. Roots won't fit Suterbilt, but it shows that if you can ask a TM dealer if they have any bad blowers...

Thx,
Dale

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
those gears are press fit onto the shafts with NO key location to go by...
BTW...On that last blower replace that i did wit the pics....i never got a pic of the INSIDE.....
the shaft was sheared all the way through the impeller... all turnnrt fine..except the lobes........
it HAD oil in it...and had been greased......never see a sutorbilt do that....
i DID replace it wit a Roots!
finishedSG.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I was told a while back that they are considered disposable blowers at that price range. It costs almost as much to replace just the bearings as buying a new one.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom