Air Duct cleaning, great add on service or a waste of time?

Beeks

Name
J.R.
* * A recent discussion on the forum led to some great insight from those that want to perform Air Duct cleaning and those that already do.. Randy Royer had this to say (and much more) Using a truckmount attachment to clean ducts or that stupid Ram AIR wiz bang thing is the quickest way ...
The post Air Duct cleaning, great add on service or a waste of time? appeared first on .

More...
Well its jut like anything, do it right its a great add on service, do it wrong it can lead to issues. With the knowledge ive gained here and other places, i will simply make sure to get some more training and the proper tools and continue to market this service. I have talked to many that have they wished they added it on sooner, as there yearly income has sky rocketed because of it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Think it can be a good add on service but i wouldn't do it until maxing out my current assets, equipment trucks etc. People are obsessed with adding equipment/trucks in this industry,usually way too soon IMO.

Reactions: Bill Morgan

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Think it can be a good add on service but i wouldn't do it until maxing out my current assets, equipment trucks etc. People are obsessed with adding equipment/trucks in this industry,usually way too soon IMO.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
It can be a good add on if you do it right. I did it for 5 years as an add on to my chimney cleaning business and made pretty decent money at it. You do have to market it heavy.

It also helped that I went to school for HVAC and worked in the field for 8 years or so. This gave me a degree of confidence and knowledge that most carpet cleaners don't have. Like it says in the article. You can cause big problems if you don't know what you are doing.

I also had good quality equipment from Abatement Technologies, not just something that swirls the dirt.

Would I recommend going down this road as a carpet cleaner. No. I would look into other flooring related add ons, hardwoods, tile and such. Besides, who wants to crawl under houses and in 130 degree attics all day? I know most newbies are itching to get their incomes up to that golden $100,000 a year mark, but my advice is be patient and let your flooring business continue to grow.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
There are a lot of variables to provide a short sweet answer, but the best one I can give is, unless you can afford a high production truck (and have enough business to support it), it isn't worth it. Your time is better spent building your carpet cleaning business and expanding that. I am basing this on using a portable, electric negative air cleaning system, not a brush attached to a vacuum hose shoved down a customer's ductwork from the opening. Duct cleaning is harder, nastier and more laborious than carpet cleaning. Labor is the most expensive cost in a business. I initially ventured into it years ago when all we did was primarily carpet cleaning. I think I was bored with simply carpet cleaning. I convinced myself it was good money, but over the years and as we our business evolved to a restoration company, I now see that it is not nearly as profitable as carpet cleaning. We do it now as part of our restoration process for smoke, fire and mold remediation, but if I had it to do over again as an add on to carpet cleaning, I wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Your time is better spent building your carpet cleaning business and expanding that...
Ed, that is a pretty good rule of thumb on a lot of the little "detours" we make in business. I find many diversifications are great for the owner's ego/ desire for new toys. Adding profitability and a good ROI? Not so much.

Steve

PS I am intrigued with dryer vent cleaning as a fun and fairly simple little add-on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
PS I am intrigued with dryer vent cleaning as a fun and fairly simple little add-on.
Big demand, easy to do but lots of risk and liability for little money.
The feet on a dryer are usually very sharp and can scratch wood and tile floors and rip vinyl in moving them. You need to move them to get access to the back and remove the back to do a through job. You can clean them while running the unit but to be sure you getting everything the back should be removed and vacuumed or blown out. People will pipe extended runs of exhaust and lint doesn't full get out and clumps and hardens and eventually reduces the dryers ability to dry in normal length of time. Those are rarely cleanable, packed so hard, the ducting needs replaced. A 30-minute job can turn into hours. : (

Easy add on when you're already there doing ducts but watch out for the floor!!!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Dryer vents SUCK if you don't have an air compressor. I can't count how many times I had to crawl under a house to re-attach dryer vents that came apart from either not being correctly installed or the spinning brush knocked them loose. It is amazing to me how little effort builders put into running dryer vents. Lots of rotting duct tape barely holding together an already flimsy hose.

Back
Top Bottom