Air pump.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Still not sure of your question.

Is your Catalytic not firing? If it's not it's mostly likely the air pump. It needs supply air to get combustion.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not sure but when the cat doesn't fire it's usually the pump. Is the belt still driving the pump?

If it's not the belt and you're not getting that extra heat boost it might be time to replace the pump.
When testing an air pump vacuum it should register bettween 20-25 Hg. Service replacement intervals are 1,500-2,000 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I looked over my thermalwave. Don't see a pump on it to compare.
It may not have it. Not all units have the "Catalytic" we have some Performers that we ordered without it, saved $1500.00 and really didn't need the 240 degree heat.

I think last time we replaced one it was around $300.00 I thought our mechanic just bought it at NAPA, but I could be wrong.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I would imagine with newer direct fuel injection engines, and their fuel efficiency , that there is much less heat to be gained with catalatic units

Becker

Name
Becker
Very true.

I pulled the old one. Unlike the new one I can blow in one port and put the other freely.

I will find out tomorrow. I'll have the pulley pressed on and I'll install it.

Becker

Name
Becker
Guess I will see what the difference is tomorrow.

This machine was manufactured in April of 97' it has about 3000 hr on it.

Perhaps it stopped working out of a lack of use.

I bought this machine in March, it sat in my garage till I installed it a couple of weeks ago.

It runs and looks fantastic, even with a bum air pump it still produced decent heat when I used it.

We will see what the difference is tomorrow.

Becker

Name
Becker
No question the air pump was bad.

he7y3eqe.jpg

Becker

Name
Becker
I've got a decent sized, dirty vacant split level rental for tomorrow.

We will see how she keeps up with the RX20..

Then a fair sized tile job.

Will be interesting to see compared to my Thermalwave. I'm still going to replace the 180 thermo valve, I think it is dumping a little premature.

Name
I'm Rick James
I've got a decent sized, dirty vacant split level rental for tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see compared to my Thermalwave. I'm still going to replace the 180 thermo valve, I think it is dumping a little premature.

Have you considered getting a fresh water tank and having it dump back into the tank?

Becker

Name
Becker
I'll see how much water is passes after the 180 repair.

My thinking is I might mount like a 25 gal tank next to the machine, if it over fills then it would dump into the waste tank. ( after all vacuum will be needed for the 180 valve to work. )
That 25 gal tank I can use for cleaning, spray jug filling etc...

I think I can do it nicely...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
There are 2 ways start machine turn on heat exchanger that lets air pump push air thru elbow exhaust when its on you can feel air coming thru metal exhaust elbow. Also theres a little pipe facing down outside the air pump like a small tube if its working that will have a little suction on your finger if you cover it.

no suction its not working.

6edeteju.jpg

7ydabapa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That little elbow should have suction when its on and working like I said if it has no suction you need another one.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Keeping up with a rotary? You might need to jet down the RX so it doesn't flow quite as much.

As far as it dumping, it's more likely the Temp Solenoid is what's bypassing water. All it takes is a little hard water scale to not allow the pin to seat and then you're bypassing water and losing temp. Remove the solenoid and clean it well then run a water softener or carry soft water. That high heat from the Cat will boil the water and cause you some scaling problems if you don't use soft water.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Keeping up with a rotary? You might need to jet down the RX so it doesn't flow quite as much.

As far as it dumping, it's more likely the Temp Solenoid is what's bypassing water. All it takes is a little hard water scale to not allow the pin to seat and then you're bypassing water and losing temp. Remove the solenoid and clean it well then run a water softener or carry soft water. That high heat from the Cat will boil the water and cause you some scaling problems if you don't use soft water.
Stock Jets on the RX are 8001 so he would be hard pressed to jet it down any farther :winky:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Turn the pressure down? :confused:

Back in the day I used and RX on a cat machine and it dropped 60 degrees. But it still cleaned very well.

Would you concur with the temp solenoid being the likely culprit?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
or the heat bypass valve is shot but ya temp solenoid to it stuck open from scale could cause heat loss.

Becker

Name
Becker
With the lid off I can see when the high temp dump or bypass is letting water into the tank. Does not seem to be an issues. This is a Puget sound machine. Zero hard water concerns.

Eastern wa a busy tm I would descale monthly or do. Here, never.

The 180 thermo works off vacuum. So I can't see it dumping off warm water. But I rigged something to confirm it. Starts dumping closer to like 120.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think I replaced (2) bypass valves among 6-Performer over 10-plus years but Temp Solenoids were far more common the culprit when bypassing water was the issue. Take it apart with a spanner wrench and use little descaler and it's no biggy. Just be careful not to wallow out the seat, you do that and it will always bypass water.

Soft water will practically make it a non issue.

TempSolenoid_zps0eea60d4.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
With the lid off I can see when the high temp dump or bypass is letting water into the tank. Does not seem to be an issues. This is a Puget sound machine. Zero hard water concerns.

Eastern wa a busy tm I would descale monthly or do. Here, never.

The 180 thermo works off vacuum. So I can't see it dumping off warm water. But I rigged something to confirm it. Starts dumping closer to like 120.

Thanks for all the help guys.
You have it pegged, that bi-metal valve is designed to open when it reaches the set temp. Something must have went wrong with it and yes, the replacement should solve it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom