Alarm ststems for PTO's

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I was talking to another cleaner the other day and he mentioned that the reason he don't get a PTO unit is because he does a lot of night work behind buildings and would be afraid that someone would break his window and/or pop his lock and drive off with his truck....this is like the 12th time I have heard this statement

Why don't they make alarm systems with auto starts and truck security standard on the PTO units...
One would think they could sell more of them....

Able 1

Name
Keith
Do insurance companies take this into account when coming up with a yearly premium? That's what I've been told...

John Watson

I guess I have been in the backwoods so to speak for the past 29 years.
I have yet to here of a TM weather PTO or Slide In being stolen while in use doing a job.

I was told those little privacy doors for the hoses were to keep people from reachin into the van and stealin your stuff.

Hells bells, back in Alaska we had homeless street people come ask us if they could warm them selfs for a bit in front of our PowerMatics. We had a regular stops every 2 weeks and I guess they camped near by. One night my guys brought them hotdogs/buns and coat hangers so they could have a picnik of sorts.

Can someone whose rig was stollen please speak up???

John Watson

By the way haven an alarm system and espessially one like Jims with engine cut out and all would be the cats meow.

In 81 I hooked up a back up alarm on our truck that was mainly residenual and the driver promply quit..

We had been teasing him the night before at our butt bar social that he really looked and acted gay (He Was not as far as I know) He said he would not drive our truck that would go Tweet Tweet every time he backed up. He came to his senses a couple days later and tried to change his actions.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Most units typically have a shut-down mechanism that precludes the vehicle from running if it is placed in gear.

Steam Genie's PTO units kill the engine if someone so much as puts on the brake, if the pto is running.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
No one in a decent state of mind is going to get into something and try to figure out what to do next unless it is a former cleaner. Even some of the idiot's robbing banks can figure that driving down the road with 200 feet of hose hanging out the door would kinda hinder their getaway.

Those people are trying to justify their purchase by knocking the others. Ridiculous, really.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The previous owner of my V, had this happen to them. A punk kid borke the window out of the V and started to drive away but with the pto engaged he said the truck would only do about twenty or so mileanhour. police caught him quick before he even got three blocks away. :)

Rex Tyus

My personal opinion is that a PTO is more secure than a slide in. At least you can lock the doors with a pto. Slide ins are exposed. Any one with the balls or lack of brains to steal a work van in use would likely be a good thief and have ahook up for keys or good at a hot wire. Like others said a well marked work van would make a poor getaway vehicle. I would be more worried about vandalism with an exposed slide in.

"The club" would be a good deterent I would think as well. Cheap too.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
depends on the slidein setup. I can lock mine down and I've got good ventilation. Jim Bethel's units are the same way. I close it up when I'm cleaning restaurants late at night. Too many people with no respect walking around. They even want to take my "Caution:Hoses" sign!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom