allergic reaction

Bucey

Name
FFA?
I had one of my customers have a reaction after we cleaned their carpet. She had to go to the hospital for treatment. She is very sensitive to most things and has to be careful with a lot of different products. ie soap makeup ect. what would be my liability here? What should i learn and apply in the future? I will not submit the products due in part that i would not want to cause any company ill will. But they are products that are used by most of us on the board. All of which are excellent products and not some crazy mad lab stuff. regular pH and acid rinse with deo.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
If the lady knows shes allergic to most things she should expect this.. But If i was going into this job knowing this, I would have ordered special products just for use in this customers home... You are not at fault. I mean if this happens with makeup.. she knew what was coming. She should have left the home for a few days after wards..

Dont sweat it........ You did nothing wrong. But I would have ordered special items for use for her.. Did she tell you before hand about this allergic reaction stuff?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ouch.

Just like if you are involved in an auto accident be VERY discreet about volunteering to be responsible for her extreme reaction to an otherwise normal activity. You can express your concern without going further at this point.

Contact your insurance provider and chemical supplier ASAP and pay close attention to their advice.

I once had to put a customer in a motel overnight while I recleaned with pure water only. He complained about the motel (I was grateful that he did that).

Thanks,
Lee

Mike Draper

Generally when I have clients like this, they always mention it and we then use a clean container and Procyon for cleaning.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
"She is very sensitive to most things and has to be careful with a lot of different products"

When I get clients like this I wonder if the cause is physiological.

I RUN!!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Dave, the risk is just not worth the reward, we will try to pass on those that are hyper allergenic.

As far as your situation, did you know ahead of time she was allergic to cleaning solutions? What has she asked of you so far?

Liability? People sue all the time often for less reasons than what you've described. Yes I would be concerned if she's accusing you.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
are you SURE your EXHAUST PIPE was not too close to the door.......

it happened to me!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I read a tip by someone who said if the customer is highly allergic to cleaning chemicals ask her what she uses to wash her clothes and use that as your cleaning agent. Then use a fresh water rinse. Sounds reasonable.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Its not a bad idea folks to simply ask.. do you have any known chemical sensitivities? It can prevent alot of head ache on both of your accounts. A 2 second question can save you hours of headaches.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
no she never mentioned her sensitivity. No one is coming after me at all! I just wanted to develop some sort of future action. Like sweeny said with the question. just did not want to freak anyone out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
sweendogg said:
Its not a bad idea folks to simply ask.

that's exactly what we do
I ask them if they have any sensitivities to "detergents and deos" DON'T say "chemicals"
Mention things like, "are you allergic to common laundry detergents, all purpose cleaners or bath soaps"

then tell them the things you use are very similar ...that puts them at ease in case some grEEn SLEAZY SCUMBAG marketer used scare tactics on them

..L.T.A.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I use chemical sensitivities ONLY because when they are diagnosed with such, this is the term their doctor will use. Usually because if they are sensitive, its to a specific ingredient for example, citrus solvents (d limolene), sometimes phosphates as a general category.

I don't mention chemical any other time, but I've noticed that trying to skirt the chemical issue on this question does not always produce an honest responce. Chemical sensitivity is the trigger in most cases I've ran up to.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Chemical sensitivity is still pretty rare, so it might be overdoing things to ask every customer about it. I think it reasonable to expect someone with an allergy to tell you rather than hope it will be OK. Can you imagine eating a bunch of homemade cookies and then announcing your peanut allergy when the paramedics are loading you into the ambulance?

Question #1: How do you know she's sensitive to anything you used?

In the absence of science many people decide what they're going to believe and arrange facts to suit.

If a future customer mentions chemical sensitivity (and you aren't using some off-brand nuclear/oxidizing/encap/ozone crap) just offer to clean a piece of loose carpet that they can put next to their chair or bed. If they have no reaction your stuff is probably going to be OK to use. If they have a reaction they can toss the carpet outside and you can decide whether you want to change chemistry or decline to clean for them.

Question #2: Not to ignore those nasty chemicals, but do your choice of cleaning products have a nice, fresh-n-fruity scent?

It's been my experience that most chemical sensitivities have more to do with fragrance than cleaning related chemistry.

We use products with no added scent, even if a lot of customers might like a "pleasant" odor. When customers ask, I will tell them that we clean for a lot of people that have chemical sensitivities and those people usually find they can breathe easier after we clean. I then offer to do the loose-lay clean for them. Since we've been made aware of the issue, only two customers have requested water-only cleaning.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
The Great Oz said:
uestion #1: How do you know she's sensitive to anything you used?

no one is pointing fingers she has just narrowed do to the cleaning that day. Still does not rule out any other possibilities.
The Great Oz said:
Question #2: Not to ignore those nasty chemicals, but do your choice of cleaning products have a nice, fresh-n-fruity scent?

again i would like to not mention products. but i do use the lowest rate given on the label. no over powering scents here.

thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom