alternator

Ricky Thurman

Shouldn't a TM or any engine for that matter , once started, be able to run flawlessly without a battery as long as the alternator is working correctly.

My battery went bad on my Bluewave this weekend. I jumped it off and the battery would not take a charge, and the machine would cut out unless I left the jumper cables hooked up to the van.

It seems to me that if the alternator is not putting out enough juice to operate the equipment, then it cannot maintain a charge on the battery. Right?

I guess I should just pull the alternator off and have it tested.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I believe your right. Can you turn off or disconnect any items not necessary to run the engine? It may tell if the alternator is charging a little. Does that Bluewave have an separate alternator or a stator on the behind the fly wheel?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
once started you have to have both a good battery and a good alternator....to keep going..

your battery could as well be the problem and so could the alternator......

if the battery is no good and you jumped it you are just running off the van battery and the alternator on the unit could still be good.....a alternator can not charge a bad battery.......

or you could have a bad alternator and by jumping it with the van .your van alternator is charging the machine battery

I would have them both checked...........

once started you can not disconnect a battery and expect anything to run.......even if you have a brand new battery and alternator

don't confuse them with the old generators..........

I would lean toward the battery first.........

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I don't know about a tm but you don't want to disconnect the battery while the vehicle is running on any car with electronic ignition. Before electronic ignition that was the backyard mechanic way of checking an alternator. Also an alternator is designed to maintain the charge on a battery not to completely re-charge a dead battery. I'm not saying it can't but it puts undo strain on the alternator and could cause premature failure.

Kelly

usually I charge the battery first to make sure that the battery will even take a charge, check the electrolyte level as well...its been my experience in the past that its almost impossible to diagnose a charging system unless the battery is capable of starting the machine. It is possible that a battery with an internal short can cause an alternator or the regulator to burn out also. If the battery wont take a charge replace it first. With a known good battery in place start the machine and check for battery voltage at 2000 rpm making sure you test for voltage at the battery terminals and not just at the cable ends. if you aren't seeing at least 13 + volts and climbing the climbing part is important. then you need to check to make sure you have a direct connection to the battery from the alternator, that requires the use of a test light or your volt meter, then if your wiring is good...then you need to have your alternator repaired or replaced.... or you can always just call us and someone can walk you through it

steve g

Name
steve garrett
kelly gave you a pretty detailed answer, in my experience which isn't as much as kelly's :lol: if the machine will not run once its been jumped off, the alternator is likely the bad part, a test with a $20 volt meter will tell you, if it is the alternator I think you are better off taking it to an alternator shop and have them rebuild it as opposed to buying a so called rebuilt one at an auto parts store, often those places just replace a couple of brushes, leave the old diodes and wash the outside in parts wash to make it look pretty. but you are really only getting a polished turd, does you machine have an actual alternator, if not those small engines blow vortage regulators all the time, the alternators on those are generally pretty reliable

Ricky Thurman

The battery was definitely bad. I replaced it and the machine has run perfectly for about 10 hrs now. I guess I should go ahead and check the alternator too, so that I don't have trouble in a day or two.
Thanks Guys!

Chads

Supportive Member
you can check it with a volt meter that will save you alot of headaches
just find out what the alternator is putting out most auto's put out 13.5 to 14.5 volts while engine is running and the 12 volt battery just sitting usually sit around 12.5 :D

Chads said:
you can check it with a volt meter that will save you alot of headaches
just find out what the alternator is putting out most auto's put out 13.5 to 14.5 volts while engine is running and the 12 volt battery just sitting usually sit around 12.5 :D

Bingo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom