Amazing mark ups in carpet slaes....

Becker

Name
Becker
Cleaned for a long time client today...

She said they are in the market for new carpets.

Then told me of an esitmate they recently had with the Empire of TV carpet sales ads on TV Today..

You might have seen the ads,, buy 2 rooms get the rest of the house free.

Well, the company came out.

Mind you this house is 2700 sq ft.

1st of all the gut said he was embarrassed of the ad they run.. Admitting nothing is free.
Total for carpet replacement Minus a 300 sq ft bonus room. $19950.00

Client balked. Price came down to $14500.00

Then the sales gut made a call to his manager and they agreed at 9950.00.
Sales guy said they would be taking a lose at this price, but wanted to help them out.

Client by this time was so pissed and showed him to the door.

$10,000 in discounts.... Honestly!

So,, Imagine if they were not having a buy 2 get the rest free.

It would have been a $70,000 install.

Jamesh921

Name
James
That's a prime example of how 'gimmicks" can bite you in the arse. I've seen those ads here too. I just have to shake my head every time it comes on.....knowing that some people are uninformed enough to bite on it. Rediculous.

Becker

Name
Becker
Thinking I might start bidding jobs at double the price, then saying.. I want to help you out.. So I will give you 50% off.

NOT!

Anyways, I lined the client up with a buddy of mine that sells and installs.

Steered them toward nylon opposed to the P.E.T. crap the other company was offering.

I'll bet the guy will bid it fairly, and make a profit in the end.

Why do companies think consumers are so stupid they think a company would do a job at a lose?
Love the whole,, let me call the boss..

Becker

Name
Becker
Client asked me to stop by and look at samples the guy I recommended left for her.

I get there, all good products.

Highest bid he gave for product, pad, installation and disposal.
$7100.00

Costco was just under $9000.00 did not see those samples.

BTW, the other company called and offered it as $8000.00 if they could take pictures of the job for marketing on the website. Only because the house would show so well and it was worth a lose for the marketing.
WOW.. about the 1/3 the 1st estimate.

BTW, the house is nice but nothing special for web marketing.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
that sounds exactly like the Bait and Switch method shown on the carpet cleaning sting videos.
They get called because they advertise $5 room, then when they get there the $40 house pkg is suddenly $500.
Then the tech calls the "manager", and starts to bring the price down, eventually getting under $200 or even $100. Of course, even if they get the job, they probably only give a $40 job.

The BBB needs a few phone calls from irked customers.

Becker

Name
Becker
BBB is a joke.

This company has an A+ rating, however if you look online they have 100s of upset customers.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have an independent installer that works for several carpet companies

he has always came in cheaper than all the others plus his install is quality, never had a restretch on his installs

I give him stretch and repair jobs he gives me cleaning jobs, has worked great for us

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
sounds like some window companies around here....

fookin 21k for 11 windows...BUT you get to have a sign in your yard, and then its 15k

Went with a local company that makes them...$3500...

hum 15k vs 3500???

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I forget the name of the company but they do any window for $189, they just did my neighbor's house

guy drives a beat up old DHL truck

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Sounds like Window World. They make custom windows and sold franchises all over the country to sell and install them. They can probably make a window for 30-40 dollars.
And back to the BBB. Have you ever tried to report a company. They make it a pain in the ass.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
KevinL said:
Sounds like Window World. They make custom windows and sold franchises all over the country to sell and install them. They can probably make a window for 30-40 dollars.
And back to the BBB. Have you ever tried to report a company. They make it a pain in the ass.

Got a friend that owns a Window World franchise. $189 installed, but there's always a better upsell on the glass. He makes the $$$$$.

Back
Top Bottom