Anatomy of the Perfect Wand

Bob Foster

This has to be the biggest personal preference there is besides pre-spray for us.

What's wrong with most wands? Many of us simply have gotten used to working with wands yet we are all anxious to see the next new one come along because deep down we all wish we had a better on than the one we are currently using. We are forced to live with the ergonomic and functional deficiencies of wands because of manufacturing techniques and various manufacturing and distribution costs.

There are many admirable iterations of what is the same basic design. We can do better and I am sure manufactures will pay attention to what we have to say.

So without saying you like x brand the best lets put together a wish list of what we like and don't like about wands that would be the attributes of what Greenie once termed the ultimate "Career Wand".

What's wrong with most wands: (please add to this list)
The way you grab them
The way you clean jets
They do not adjust for alternating left and right handed strokes
Nonadjustable to different peoples strokes and heights
Hoses could be more out of our way
They get hot and can burn you
They have to be carefully laid down so as not to damage property or the wand itself
They will not take abuse and are awkward to stow on some vehicles

What a good wand should have or do: (please add to this list)All stainless connectors that are insulated
Feather touch valve
Adjustable in height and angle
Has a totally different grip system that grasping around a pipe
Low profile head
14 inch
In line filter
Light weight

Please do not turn this discussion into this is the best wand and that is the best wand but say what about a wand you like or don't like.

Brad_Smith

the perfect jet angle. Need two wands. One for heavy soil-angled away from glide. One for medium residential-angled toward glide (yes like greenies pimp wand.

Brad smith

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I would have to say, jets that are relatively close to the carpet. 2 jet wands and single jet wands....are a joke.

Steve Smith

Kevin Bunce said:
I would have to say, jets that are relatively close to the carpet. 2 jet wands and single jet wands....are a joke.

2 jet wands and single jet wands are a joke?
Can you elaborate on that statement?

Also, can you give some background on all the different brands of two jet wands and single jet wands you have used and how many months you have used these joke wands?

Thanks.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
built solid and be light weight

I am average size and the TI Wand fits the bill for me

I have a green horn wand, we use it when we dual wand but when I single wand it is a TI that I use, just so use to using it

If I understand correctly, from, US Products, then they could build the wand with whatever configuration on the end of the vacuum head
(slot hole hybrid) and have no patent violation, just can't be an add on part to the wand

inline filter- no
adjust to height- yes
high lift at the head of the wand- yes
2.5" tube- maybe-maybe not

Scott Rogers

Bob Foster said:
a good wand should have or do: (please add to this list)[/b]All stainless connectors that are insulated
Feather touch valve
Adjustable in height and angle
Has a totally different grip system that grasping around a pipe
Low profile head
14 inch
In line filter
Light weight
Have you ever tried a Stanley Steemer 4 jet? It is everything you have listed except I would not say its light weight, not too heavy though.

Bob Foster

I have a Greenhorn wand that I am very happy with for all the ones that I have used.

It just seems to me we are ready for a revolutionary new design other than a tube with a handle on it.

Scott Rogers

I too have a Green Horn, Its ok, as the glide wears and gets a little texture to it it cleans better.

From a ergonomics stand point the Stanley Wand is better,

They can be pimped out like a green Horn with a Green Glide and high low jet etc.

Im 5'10 and the Green Horn is a little tall for me. I prefer a lower angle to relieve pressure on my shoulder.

Also the Green Horn has a tendency too lift the head off the ground when reaching under a bed.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have always liked a single bend wand which leaves my choices very limited. I tried an s- bend, but it just doesn't feel right. I want to upgrade to a 2" Wand but don't want to waste my money. Any 2" single bends available?

Bob Foster

The US Products wand has some things that might be an issue.

For one the jets are too far from the carpet glide interface

Kelly

How much does a perfect wand cost? or perhaps the real question is...how much are you willing to pay for the perfect wand just out of curiosity

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
As Gary Heacock says the wand should be as long as you are tall.

Nick send me one of those new 2 inch evolution wands to test out.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Steve Smith said:
[quote="Kevin Bunce":2hzmdmk4]I would have to say, jets that are relatively close to the carpet. 2 jet wands and single jet wands....are a joke.

2 jet wands and single jet wands are a joke?
Can you elaborate on that statement?

Also, can you give some background on all the different brands of two jet wands and single jet wands you have used and how many months you have used these joke wands?

Thanks.[/quote:2hzmdmk4]

Yes, I will elaborate. They pathetically lose heat at the carpet water interface.

I have used the Steamway single jet wands, multiple styles. Hydramaster wands, PMF 1 and 2 jet wands. I have also used Prochem's older wands, AW29, and multiple other wands that i throw into "Junk" category. I have been in this industry for 16 years. Its 2008, get with the times and get a wand with more than 2 jets.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
"Yes, I will elaborate. They pathetically lose heat at the carpet water interface."

Though you say you have used a Steam Way single jet wand, you must have forgot what it's design was like. No wand will keep heat better at the carpet wand interface than this wand. I have used it for 30 years, of course it was always hooked up to a fuel oil burner.

One large jet about 2 inches off the carpet, fully enclosed jet chamber.

I am thinking of getting another wand though, perhaps the Greenhorn or if I like it at Mikefest, that evolution wand.

Loren

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
If its so good, why don't all the High performance people sell theirs and buy them.

It doesn't retain heat as well as the other wand designs. Besides, where am I gonna get a 16 flow single jet?

Greenie

I don't want to butt in, as I really enjoy the input from everyone, and I don't want to take anything from veteran SW wand users, but I'd like to add the simple fact that a K3 Flood jet 2" from the carpet is a recipe for pile distortion, and only gonna clean effectively in a 10" path, not a full 12" path.
Even SteamWay Int'l is looking for another design after the CRI testing, basically that wand cost them a gold rating.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Well put! Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that Nick from US products is going to let me use the evolution wand since I am in the same town as him. I thought it was a great thing. I am really interested in checking it out.

Besides, its going to be great to meet him, and he will get to see how I roll. I invited him to ride along.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Greenie.

I am not so sure it will even do a 10 inch wide path. I usually overlap a half wand. But at the center, it has outstanding cleaning performance.

But I will give you that there are times I either need to use lower pressure and or lower heat, or move the wand faster and overlap more.

So I am considering adding another wand for use on some carpets.

One thing I like about the Steam Way wand is that I can slide it under the cabinets in carpeted bathrooms and such. It is low at both ends, rising to the middle.

Loren

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
What a good wand should do:

1. Even vacuum recovery from edge to edge under high lift

2. Even water application from edge to edge (no streaking)

3. Visual indication of even jet spraying

4. Ergonomic grips to minimize fatigue

5. Durable Valve with double O'Rings on Stem and eazy operation

6. Glide to minimize fatigue and allow for varied operator height

7. Reasonable Price.

Larry Cobb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom