And We Thought TM's Were A Pain To Work On....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just Googling how the Mercedes auto braking system works, and this is just a sample from the repair manual. This system will lock the brake system if unauthorized person tried to take it.

I though automation was 'spose to make things easier......

MERCEDES SENSOTRONIC BRAKES
Another variant of Brake Assist that Mercedes uses on some of its vehicles is its Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) system. This electronic braking system has no vacuum booster. It uses pressure from the ABS pump and accumulator for normal braking as well as Braking Assist and ABS braking. It does have a conventional master cylinder for fail-safe backup. The master cylinder also has a pedal pressure sensor (actually two Hall Effect sensors in one unit), and a pedal simulator to simulate the feel of a conventional brake system.

M-B Sensotronic System parts
Sensotronic was introduced in Europe in 2001, and on U.S. SL-Class and E-Class cars in 2003. Sensotronic is still used on SL-Class models, but was discontinued on the E-Class models in 2006 due to recall problems (wiring harness problems and control module glitches). If a fault causes the system to shut down, the brakes revert to conventional manual brakes with no power assist.

The Sensotronic brake system combines Brake ­Assist, brake system precharging, antilock braking and stability control into one integrated system. It does not, however, provide any collision warnings or automatic braking as with Pre-Safe braking.

The system is activated as soon as the doors on the vehicle are unlocked, or when the driver turns on the ignition or steps on the brake pedal. It immediately performs a pre-drive self-check by checking all the system sensors, operating the ABS pump and applying pressure to the calipers. It repeats this self-check every 16 brake applications while the car is being driven.

The Sensotronic system remains active for up to two minutes after the ignition has been turned off and the vehicle has remained stationary without touching the brake pedal. Touch the brake pedal, and the system will remain active another four minutes. If you use the keyless entry system to lock the doors, the Sensotronic system times out after 30 seconds. This is important to know, because if you are working on the brakes and the system is activated, the brakes will apply themselves if anybody moves the brake pedal.

To deactivate the system, remove the keyless entry fob from the vehicle, and then lock the doors. Move the key out of range from the vehicle so the system cannot be accidentally activated. After 30 seconds, the Sensotronic system should time out and go into sleep mode. Do not unlock the vehicle while any brake work is being performed and do not touch the brake pedal. Once the work has been completed, the system needs to be reactivated using the following procedure:

1. Turn on the ignition.

2. Turn off the ignition, wait five seconds and then turn it back on.

3. With wheels off the ground, rotate the left rear wheel in the forward direction two revolutions within three seconds, and then stop.

4. Rotate the left front wheel two revolutions in the forward direction within 60 seconds after completing step 3.
The Sensotronic system will then automatically apply the brakes, and flash the brake lights three times to signal it has been reactivated. It will then do a quick self-check and apply the front and rear brakes several times in quick succession. After 50 seconds, the ­braking will stop.

5. Turn off the ignition, then lower the vehicle to the ground.

6. Start the engine and press the brake pedal five to 10 times. If any faults are found, you will get a fault message on the driver’s display. Repeating the activation procedure may be necessary to clear the fault. But if the fault message remains, you’ll have to hook up a scan tool to read the codes to find out what’s wrong.

There are a couple of ways to bleed the brakes on this system, both of which require a pressure bleeder. With the scan tool method (which requires the factory STAR scan tool or an aftermarket scan tool with similar software), just follow the menu prompts to bleed the system.

The other method is to use the pressure bleeder to bleed the front brakes (left front, then right front) after deactivating the Sensotronic system. To bleed the rear lines, the system is reactivated using the procedure described earlier. Pressure generated by the ABS pump can then be used to bleed the right rear brake circuit. The pump will kick in about 40 seconds after the brake lights stop flashing. You then have about 40 seconds to open the bleeder screw, and 150 seconds to finish bleeding the line.

If you wait too long to open the bleeder screw, the bleed routine will stop and you’ll have to start over by deactivating, then reactivating, the Sensotronic system again. After you finish with the right rear brake, repeat the same procedure to bleed the left rear brake circuit.

Note: Air in the system can cause a squeaking noise when the brakes are lightly applied, so the factory STAR scan tool has a special “air release” routine that takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

Comments (14)

Comment by:
ramu
9/17/2010
2:56 PM can u give full details on automatic stopping of car when driver gets into sleep

Comment by:
ramu
9/17/2010
2:54 PM can u give full details on automatic stopping of car when driver gets into sleep

Comment by:
ramu
9/17/2010
2:54 PM can u give full details on automatic stopping of car when driver gets into sleep

Comment by:
thuso tlotleng
9/4/2010
12:30 PM please send me a diagram of mercedes benz ADE 366T 1617 pressure brake system.

Comment by:
dennis chua
8/29/2010
10:16 AM Recently we had brakes light showing on dash board. It went on for about a year. we recently replaced brake pads but after three days or so the dash board showed reduced brake power. I understand this is factory fault. please advice. note we did not modify any part of the 06 mercedes E200.

Comment by:
Larry Carley
8/26/2010
5:41 PM For Hemler: Better get your car to a shop fast because the brakes may be unsafe to drive. The problem could be a defective ABS solenoid, maybe a bad pump or high pressure accumulator. No way to tell without performing some diagnostics.

Comment by:
hemler
8/26/2010
3:02 PM After a rest stop, car (2007 MB E-350)was restarted from passenger seat position (for AC);when driving recommenced, the brake pedal would go completely to the floor while driving ; could pump to normal resistance but then brake pedal would immediately fade again; after driving 10 minutes while pumping to get to service, the brake pedal returned to normal resistance without further incident.

Comment by:
how many brake pad sensor on 2001 mercede benz ml320
8/3/2010
10:48 AM how many brake pad sensor on 2001 mercede benz ml320?. I changed both rear brake pads, see only one sensor on the left rear side.

Comment by:
Jim G
7/10/2010
10:22 AM My 2000 ML320 recently is making loud noise from the engine compartment when I turn the engine off. Sounds like an auxilary fan motor is running all the time. The brakes also begin to make noise when driving and slightly pressing the brake pedal quits the noise. The BAS ABS ETS warning lights turn on and off for various times. The BAS seems to stay on more. While the braking system works the noise is very annoying. What parts cause the noise to erupt? What brake parts nned to be fixed to eliminate the noise?

Comment by:
Larry Carley
6/6/2010
3:11 PM For Tochi: It might mean the brake fluid reservoir is low, or you might have a faulty wheel speed sensor. Better have a shop check it out ASAP!

Comment by:
Tochi Panesar
6/6/2010
10:09 AM I recently had my front brakes replaced on my C200K (2001 reg)but since then the BAS light is on and says visit workshop. What could have gone wrong?

Comment by:
CLARENCE C. GREEN
4/10/2010
2:21 PM I AM UNABLE TO LOCATE A PART FOR THE ABS BRAKE

SYSTEM FOR MY 2003 E320 BASIC MERCEDES.PLEASE

PROVIDE PART NUMBERS FOR THE PUMP AND PRESSURE

RESERVIOR INCLUDING PRICE. THANK YOU!

Comment by:
Larry Carley
3/10/2010
2:34 PM When the scantool method is used to bleed the brakes, the old fluid that is sitting in the pump and accumulator is flushed out when the pump runs and draws in fresh fluid from the reservoir. The regular method of pressure bleeding does not pull fresh fluid through the pump or accumulator. Even so, what's left of the old fluid will mix with the new and be dilluted as soon as the system is active.

Comment by:
Paul V
3/10/2010
2:24 PM Thx for a informative article. On the Sensotronic system using the second bleeding method, does the ABS pump fluid get replaced while bleeding the rear wheels? In the past, I've always just deactivated the Sensotronic and bled the four wheels normally (with a pressure bleeder) and always had concerns about the fulid in the ABS pump.

Leave A Comment
Name (Required)
A name is Required
Email (Required, never displayed)
Your e-mail is required
Not a valid email address
Comments
A comment is Required

Please enter the text from the above text box

Response did not match image textResponse did not match image text

Latest posts

Back